Stopping Settlement

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience pulling out of a settlement due to the developer not meeting his contractual obligations? I would be interested to learn how it panned out. I am currently in dispute (have not settled yet) on 2 apartments.

A couple of years ago I signed up to purchase 2 off the plan units. The development went overtime, but I didnt think that this would be a huge issue though.

What became an issue though was the changes the builder made to the property to the detriment of its value.

Compared to what was in the architectural drawings and plans the units are smaller (43m2 compared to 51m2 and 46m2 compared with 53m2), and finished to the cheapest possible quality finish.

The above deviations are unacceptable and upon consulting legal advise, constitute a significant deviation and breach of contract.

It was a very deliberate and conscious decision to purchase property above 50m2 given the difficulties arranging finance for properties under this size. It changes the entire financing that has been approved on the assumption that the properties are at least 50m2.

In addition to the above, I would also like to note that the quality of the work and finish of the apartments and common areas is sub-standard. The cheap quality of the finish and the defects does not in any way represent the way in which the apartment was marketed as a "luxury apartment".

Notable issues with the apartments are:
  • Paint cracked and peeling off window frames
  • Swollen an cracked frames around sliding door to balcony
  • Cigarette burns on carpet
  • Broken and incomplete tiles on Balcony
  • Grouting not complete to wet areas and balcony
  • Poor quality locks to entrance doors
  • Plasterwork and painting incomplete as well as damaged walls at the entrance area
  • Carpet in main living area has been patched together using off cuts and the grains are facing different directions
  • Missing transparent wall in one of the bedrooms in order to let natural light in

Common Areas:

• Tiling damaged and incomplete in common areas
  • External finish and materials used substantially different from plans
  • Damaged render on external walls
  • Garage left unfinished and in poor state - Walls are soil covered and damp
  • Hallway walls are painted concrete and not plasterboard over concrete as specified.
  • Driveway is unfinished
  • Landscaping is unfinished.

I would be interested to learn if people have been successfull in getting their deposits back and getting out of settlement.

What about the sunset clause? Maybe the time has been passed so that you can terminate the contract.

If not, are there any allowances for variation in size in the contract? They may have you there.

I agree that it would be a pain in the butt to find the unit size decreased less than 50ms but it could be allowable under the contract terms.

All good points. Its currently with my soclicitor so I am hoping for the best.

I will check for the sunset clause, but I think that it might still be good.

My hope is that the 17% deviation on the size of the property is enough to call it a breach of contract terms.

I agree that it would be a pain in the butt to find the unit size decreased less than 50ms but it could be allowable under the contract terms.

Certainly possible I agree. Especially if the (proposed) Plan of Subdivision in the Contract of Sale does not make an allowance for internal walls which encroach on internal living areas and which may push the internal area below 50 sqm even though the Plan shows something above 50 sqm.

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience pulling out of a settlement due to the developer not meeting his contractual obligations? I would be interested to learn how it panned out. I am currently in dispute (have not settled yet) on 2 apartments.

A couple of years ago I signed up to purchase 2 off the plan units. The development went overtime, but I didnt think that this would be a huge issue though.

What became an issue though was the changes the builder made to the property to the detriment of its value.

Compared to what was in the architectural drawings and plans the units are smaller (43m2 compared to 51m2 and 46m2 compared with 53m2), and finished to the cheapest possible quality finish.

The above deviations are unacceptable and upon consulting legal advise, constitute a significant deviation and breach of contract.

It was a very deliberate and conscious decision to purchase property above 50m2 given the difficulties arranging finance for properties under this size. It changes the entire financing that has been approved on the assumption that the properties are at least 50m2.

In addition to the above, I would also like to note that the quality of the work and finish of the apartments and common areas is sub-standard. The cheap quality of the finish and the defects does not in any way represent the way in which the apartment was marketed as a "luxury apartment".

Notable issues with the apartments are:
  • Paint cracked and peeling off window frames
  • Swollen an cracked frames around sliding door to balcony
  • Cigarette burns on carpet
  • Broken and incomplete tiles on Balcony
  • Grouting not complete to wet areas and balcony
  • Poor quality locks to entrance doors
  • Plasterwork and painting incomplete as well as damaged walls at the entrance area
  • Carpet in main living area has been patched together using off cuts and the grains are facing different directions
  • Missing transparent wall in one of the bedrooms in order to let natural light in

Common Areas:

• Tiling damaged and incomplete in common areas
  • External finish and materials used substantially different from plans
  • Damaged render on external walls
  • Garage left unfinished and in poor state - Walls are soil covered and damp
  • Hallway walls are painted concrete and not plasterboard over concrete as specified.
  • Driveway is unfinished
  • Landscaping is unfinished.

I would be interested to learn if people have been successfull in getting their deposits back and getting out of settlement.

interested to work out where this apartments are ? :)

i suggest you ask your solicitors what your options are. one of the solicitor's clients was a buyer who bought a townhouse in south yarra and all the finishes were different from what she took from the showroom as in colours etc. i referred her to my builder and he was asked to give a quote to totally refurb the whole unit to what was in the showroom. Cost was around 80K in which the solicitor took the advertising agent to court and won. honestly, i thought the buyer was crazy as some of the stuff were just equally good enough in terms of materials but everyone i suppose have their own taste.

YOurs seem a bit harder being the sizes have gone down so maybe the developer can cut into certain common areas to get that extra sqm? highly unlikely due to the load bearing walls.. but this is the 1st i have heard of developers squeezing down the sqms on the actual floorplans.

... but this is the 1st i have heard of developers squeezing down the sqms on the actual floorplans.

Same here - although the apartment we bought OTP had lower ceilings than than the display suite (they forgot about the aircon ducting... duh!) Apparently that was an allowed variation.

The Y-man

We have bought OTP and I really hope something like this doesn't happen to us. Our one is 2 bedrooms, 75sqm internally but I wouldn't want it any smaller than that - if it gets built at all :p I have no advice but hope it works out for you

Lets just say Caulfield.

I got a letter saying that they also take into account 50% of the external wall when they calculate internal space. It still does not add up. It would make the 43m2 apartment 46.8m2. Still a way off to 51m2.

He says it unnaceptable.

We are booking in a surveyor to take proper measurements and write a report. Then we will contact the vendors solicitors with this and see what they say.

Worst case scenario we go to VCAT.

Ouch alot of money and 15% interest as well!!

This is a very different circumstance, although my property did come in at 10K lower than originally with the bank so I had to cover that difference.

The developer coupld not help what happened to the market. In this case I was fully aware of the risk and the fact the market dropped and was prepared to cover the loss, but the property was not in a acceptable state in terms of size and quality for me to consider the contract to be fullfilled.

Good to get a certified professional to verify the dimensions. that way there would be no arguments.

Also quality of building works.

The big ticket item is the size. The quality of the works will not stop the settlement as they have 3 months to recify the defects.

Problem is that once we settle they can bankrupt themselves and then everything will become so much harder. Developers have a habbit of bankrupting themselves when things become difficult.

isn't it the builder who build the place has to rectify it as oppose to the developer.
the builder would be the ones who provides the guarantees on warranty insurance.

Back