Strange rental request?

Hi, I'm fairly new to renting and signing a lease however this seems rather strange. I responded to an ad on gumtree two days ago and have been sending and receiving emails for a rental property with the current landlord. She told me she was in Europe but I could do a drive by and the place looks good and the rent is very reasonable however my concern is that I asked how to proceed with the rental and she said for me to proceed I will need to deposit 6 weeks bond into an Australian account, then she will send me the rental agreement and fly over and hand me the keys...? Is this in anyway standard or am I setting myself up for disappointment.. What would you recommend I do in this situation? Any help appreciated, thanks

Doesn't sound particularly standard.

Rental bonds should be deposited with the Rental Bond Board (not sure what it is called in WA)

If she has given you her personal bank account to deposit into, you should not do it and not rent this property

Sounds dodgy.A drive by or actually having a look in the place? And she's going to fly from Europe just to hand over some keys? If I were you I'd be running a mile or getting ready to say goodbye to my 6 weeks rent and still be looking for somewhere to live.

This bit makes me laugh!

then she will send me the rental agreement and fly over and hand me the keys...?

If you were overseas and trying to rent out a house would you take the keys with you or leave them with a trusted individual?

I don't know why these scammers don't try a little harder.

My first thoughts are when there are so many "normal" mrenatls to choose from, why get invovled in something so complicated.

From the sounds of it, the person you're communicating with doesn't own the property which they're proposing to rent to you. The likely outcome is you'll deposit money into an account and they'll disappear.

You never put up money prior to signing a lease.

You never put up money prior to signing a lease.

I get lots of international students who want to lease my rooms from me. I always insist on payment of bond and rent upfront before they arrive in the country in order to secure the room. When you are dealing with international students, particularly from Asia, many of them are tyre-kickers who like to waste your time. Once they have paid they are locked in and I honour my end of the bargain when they arrive.

We had our advert on Gumtree hijacked once (the photo was different and actually was clearly a unit and not a queenslander house but the other details were lifted from our advert).

One person actually paid several hundred to the "overseas" landlord. He called me because my mobile somehow was still in the advert. He also called the police but they would not be able to help him.

One potential tenant actually called to the house physically and the female tenant was not happy about it, nor were we. We learned not to put the address in, though sometimes it needs to be there. It could happen (and I'm sure it does) from the mainstream renting sites too, but Gumtree just seems to attract more of the "rabble" than some others.

Two others almost fell for it, but called me to check before transferring money.

I told Gumtree about it, but there really isn't much they can do either except pull the advert.

It IS a scam. Do not pay anything.

Definetely a scam. A friend of mine got stung with something similar after refusing to take advice and lost $2000. Never pay bond directly to the "landlord" and never ever ever use Western Union to transfer funds. Always pay directly to the relevant state rental bond authority and usually only then after signing the lease (depending on the state).

It's a scam. I saw a similar thing on the news a couple of years ago. Several people paid bond for the same property and no one was given keys. Someone else owned the property.

I think that you should take up the offer and deposit the money into their account. What can go wrong?

Oh and whilst you are there I have a lot of money stuck in a Nigerian bank account which I need to get out (you know - the wars there make it very difficult for me to get the money out safely).

If you can provide me with your bank details and pay me $500 in costs I will ensure that you are financially compensated when the funds arrive!

Also I believe that you have won some money in a lottery. Please send me $100 to release the funds and you won't need to rent any more!

This particular ad is a scam.
I've seen this one lots of times before..they will always fly over from o/s if you like it.

Like Wylie, we've had photograhs of our rentals show up in someone else's ads.

tell them your willing to pay the whole lot up front in person when they fly across to hand you the keys haha

Tell them you'll pay in person, but you'll be in New York., so they can meet you at The Marriott in Manhatten to exchange details & sign paperwork.

ITS 100% A SCAM

its been around for a few years already,

its mainly targetted at guillible and/or overseas people who may not be aware of the rules or are simply desperate in finding a place

1 months bond may be $2k odd, thats a big scam effort for a nigerian/african scammer

Back