Strange rental request?

Consumer affairs were discussing such scams on the ABC radio.
They were saying you should report this to them, email adress your writing to, bank details they offered you, etc, etc, they do look into it.

I've seen it happen with cars and girls. One guy wanted to buy a car here for his dad, but he was working on an oil rig so couldn't come and view the car. Emails back and forth and in the end the purchaser was having problems and need $500 for release of funds or something.

Another scam is meeting someone online. (from a mate, honestly) This time a girl from some country who was staying in Malaysia. So close, so why not send her money, just half, for the price of a ticket and she would come down - Western union to UK. I told my mate to ask her name and just send a ticket, she accepted, and then i suggested he ask hotel name, she gave it. Then he rang hotel and no one on that name. He rings girl and she said of course they cannot give out private names. So then I told him to ask room number and then she refused to give it, of course.

Thanks for all of the replies, it did very much sound like a scam, too good to be true really.. I've sent them an email to get bank details etc, who should I report this to?

Back