strange sprinkler hose under house

Property I've been inspection has moderate to minimal foundation movement. a few fine cracking here and there..

I noticed something odd. Theres a garden sprinkler that runs around the edge of the house pointing out towards the garden, and one of the crawl space ventiliation air ducts has a purposely cut hole in it and the typical garden sprinkler system actually diverts through this old in air vent to under the house from a T intersection from a typical garden sprinkler system.

This is the same wall that has a sagging plaster roof inside and failing cornice along with it.

Isnt the crawl space suppose to be dry. Theres bark garden beds around the perimeter of the house, could be there to prevent evaporation of moisture in soil to stabilise soil movement perhaps..

Couldnt see any clear signs of cracking on outter brick walls just internally with the plaster work.

Strange water sprinkler to under house, red flag of dodgyness or something acceptable?

If this is the same house where to cornice is detached then I would be avoiding this house.

They are using the sprinkler to try and keep the foundations hydrated and avoid the building heaving (going up and down as it wet and dries out).

My guess is that the foundation are very unstable ala the hose. They will no doubt tell you 'it because of the drought' etc but in the end if you can find a house that's not moving then you will be miles better off.

Cheers

If this is the same house where to cornice is detached then I would be avoiding this house.

They are using the sprinkler to try and keep the foundations hydrated and avoid the building heaving (going up and down as it wet and dries out).

My guess is that the foundation are very unstable ala the hose. They will no doubt tell you 'it because of the drought' etc but in the end if you can find a house that's not moving then you will be miles better off.

Cheers

yep bingo same house with cornice issues from hanging ceiling on the same wall/side that the mysterious sprinkler goes underneath the house..

Cool learnt something new! Actually how much would stabilising foundations cost.. I think you can inject concrete into the ground or some process like that. If I had a rough guess I think maybe $30k to $50k ?

Not interested in buying now, but just want to learn more from the experience

yep bingo same house with cornice issues from hanging ceiling on the same wall/side that the mysterious sprinkler goes underneath the house..

Cool learnt something new! Actually how much would stabilising foundations cost.. I think you can inject concrete into the ground or some process like that. If I had a rough guess I think maybe $30k to $50k ?

Not interested in buying now, but just want to learn more from the experience

Can cost motza, particularly if it needs to be dug by hand due to restricted access.

Obviously if you do it yourself then you will save heaps but --- its a lot of work.

We had to go down over 2 meters to hit rock yet its all very hard clay but it moves when wet.

First have to dig a hole next to the foundations to then finally go sideways under the actual foundations.

Ones the holes dug you fill it with concrete barring the last 50+mm which needs to be filled with a special grout.

Then you bury the lot and try and forget you ever had to do it :(:D

So far we have had to dig 8 of these holes and still have 2 to go.:(

Cheers

Last edited:
Just be sure its not a reticulation termite system? They look similar to a sprinkler and requires a nozzle to be attached to pump chemical into.

Just a thought, you should put pictures up so we can see and be more accurate.

Just be sure its not a reticulation termite system? They look similar to a sprinkler and requires a nozzle to be attached to pump chemical into.

Just a thought, you should put pictures up so we can see and be more accurate.

Naaa definitely wasnt one of those.. Front garden tap, to spray nozzle outlets around perimeter of house giving the garden a nice watering then same hose T connector with a detour to big hole made in underfloor vents to the unknown.

That combined with sagging ceiling on that side and cracking that suggests that room is moving a bit, didnt made me feel comfortable.

Can cost motza, particularly if it needs to be dug by hand due to restricted access.

Obviously if you do it yourself then you will save heaps but --- its a lot of work.

We had to go down over 2 meters to hit rock yet its all very hard clay but it moves when wet.
So far we have had to dig 8 of these holes and still have 2 to go.:(

Cheers

Jesus! Im all for DIY but that is seriously too much work! 2 Metre hole!
Feel your pain!

Someone better fetch you a few slabs of beer after each hole.. Tough job! :eek:

Back