Strangest things you have claimed on tax

In light of the article in todays Herald Sun regarding the strange things people have tried to claim on tax (photos of their kids, claiming a spouse rebate for 4 wives, not claiming income, etc.), would anyone like to share strange things that they may have claimed on their tax previously?

seem to recall there was a Dutch story of a bank robber who tried to claim his gun as a deduction. The court allowed it on the proviso he declares the money he stole as income.

Whilst at uni I used to work for a little CA firm so I come across a few unusual things. One of them was a client claiming a plasma flatscreen because his work involved reviewing MTV / music videos.

I think it was trust magic that mentioned some interesting items to declare (might have been an old version that I read).

Cheers

Jamie

My girlfriends a bookkeeper and has seen lots of interesting "expenses" that business owners try to claim. So I sent her this question. :). This is what she sent back to me.....

"miscellaneous govt charges" = speeding fines.......tradie
"general hardware " = anything from bunnings ......Tradie
"other finance fees" = credit cards charges on personal accounts......day care
"staff amenities" = a Quickflix account ...day care

She reckons she could fill a book if she had time. But that is what she dealt with this week. :)

I once had someone ask me if the funeral expenses for her late father were tax deductible. She said the funeral director told her they would be.

If one was to own a takeaway food business, one could claim takeaway food from anywhere, provided they took notes about the establishment they were patronising. At least that's the advice from an accountant who used to contribute to this forum.

I never bothered. There's only one chain I generally eat at. And I generally didn't pay in the two shops I patronised heavily.

My friend is accountant and here are a few good ones from this year...

- dog food, - the dog is a 'small fluffy one', but supposedly vicious and guarding a tradies' tools a home

- a lot of receipts related to wine purchases - a wine taster/buyer for a large supermarket chain

- travel costs, accommodation, in European wine reasons - same wine taster/buyer

I once had someone ask me if the funeral expenses for her late father were tax deductible. She said the funeral director told her they would be.

Perhaps he was an underworld figure and his funeral expenses were deemed to be the cost of running the business. :rolleyes:

If one was to own a takeaway food business, one could claim takeaway food from anywhere, provided they took notes about the establishment they were patronising. At least that's the advice from an accountant who used to contribute to this forum.

I never bothered. There's only one chain I generally eat at. And I generally didn't pay in the two shops I patronised heavily.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Could you extend this to making your 'groceries' a tax deduction?!

Here's one

A nudist accountant has succeeded in claiming a tax deduction for trees that he planted on his property as a privacy screen. Anthony Russell, a “naturist”, planned to turn his property, located in the hinterland near Sarina in central Queensland, into a nudist retreat.

He argued that the trees provided “not only ambience and provision of privacy screen” but also through selective harvesting, income from forestry operations. The Tax Commissioner disagreed and Mr Russell took the case to the Federal Court.

Source

seem to recall there was a Dutch story of a bank robber who tried to claim his gun as a deduction. The court allowed it on the proviso he declares the money he stole as income.

I remember seeing on TV a few years back here in WA about a notorious drug dealer who claimed a tax deduction for all of his unlawful expenses.

The magistrate allowed them all, as they were all necessary in the pursuit of his unlawful income.

Can't recall the exact details or the TV footage, but I'm sure Redwing will be able to dig it up from somewhere.

Back