Student Tenants & Garden Maintenance

How to deal with student tenants, that never do any garden maintenance (mowing), although it is stated on the lease agreement that it's their responsibility?

I want to keep them as tenants, but I just want to do something that made them to the mowing, as their responsibility.

Just signed a new lease last month, so I have to wait another 11 months. :(

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Send them a breach notice for not doing the gardens, and accompany that with an offer to increase the rent and include lawn maintenance. They'll probably agree to an extra $3-$5 per week per person, which should cover basic mowing.

If you both agree, you can increase the rent at any time.

Matt

Get over it..? Who cares if they mow your lawn if you've just signed them up for 12 months. You don't live there, it will look fine from your place.

Get over it..? Who cares if they mow your lawn if you've just signed them up for 12 months. You don't live there, it will look fine from your place.

There is a difference between "should be mowed more often" and "has never been mowed".

You don't want it to the point where you receive council breach letters where they are concerned about health and safety and the threat of fines.

Send them a breach notice for not doing the gardens, and accompany that with an offer to increase the rent and include lawn maintenance. They'll probably agree to an extra $3-$5 per week per person, which should cover basic mowing.

If you both agree, you can increase the rent at any time.

Matt

Good idea, Matt. Will talk to my PM.
Thanks.

In short, it ain't gonna happen.
You're lucky there is still a lawn.
From experience, watering the garden isn't a priority for tenants, either.

Tenants in one of our IP?s haven?t watered/mowed the lawn in ages and it?s all crusty and yellow, despite us paying the water usage to get them to water it. Told them it needed to be fixed before they move out in a month and when I spoke to him the other day he said surprisingly ?the lawn actually grows when you really water it? :eek:

The scary part is, he?s an environmental scientist with Department of Water :confused:

If you have students living in the one property they will fob responsibility off between each other. I think in the end you will end up paying for the local mowing guy to come around every now and then to keep the jungle (lawn) under control. If you think students and garden don?t mix, wait until you ask them to take care of a swimming pool....

How do you mow the lawn with no money, no lawnmower, and your face firmly planted 2" away from your iphone ?? They wouldn't even be able to see the lawnmower.

In any case, wouldn't it be a safety hazard with those blades whizzing around the permanent USB cord stuck into their heads ??

They'll probably agree to an extra $3-$5 per week per person, which should cover basic mowing.

Should ??

We are talking about some Landlord doing business with young people with absolutely no money. They barely can afford 2 minute noodles once a day.

Why people decide to get into business with other people who have no money and don't work is beyond me. Relying on contractual law as your only fallback when one party has never entered a contract in their lives and have absolutely no idea what their lawful responsibilities are is also beyond me.

They've just signed a Lease last month. Bet they never read any of the conditions that detailed what their responsibilities are.

Good luck asking them to now chip in more.

If it's a 3 bedroom house, and miracle upon miracle, they agree to paying you more even though you both just formally agreed the rent, that's 3 x 3 x 2 or an extra $ 18 per fortnight.

I'm sure a lawn mowing contractor would be more than happy to drive across town, spend his day cutting the lawns front and back with all of the gear they have to cart with them all for $ 18.

Get real.

The students won't lift a finger.

The students won't pay any extra. Neither will anyone else.

The students couldn't give a rats if the lawn dies.

You have no power to force them to do anything at all.

Even if you did, (which you can't) the Bond (which you don't hold) won't go anywhere near to paying for the lawn to be back to tip top condition.

"Fair wear and tear".....look it up.

Deltaberry has been down this track before.

Don't rent to students...?

Someone will be along shortly to say they own a house and have had students in there renting for 25 years with never a problem. This won't help you at all with your students.

Some student friends of mine rented a property a few years ago. When they got a complaint about not mowing the grass they put up a sign saying "Bushland Reserve"

How do you mow the lawn with no money, no lawnmower, and your face firmly planted 2" away from your iphone ??

We are talking about some Landlord doing business with young people with absolutely no money. They barely can afford 2 minute noodles once a day.

LOL. One of our "students" is now a doctor. Don't kid yourself that "all" students have no money. They often earn a fair bit with little contact time. My "student" living at home is probably on $50K part time pro-rata.

The students couldn't give a rats if the lawn dies.
You have no power to force them to do anything at all.

That is why we arrange lawn mowing for all our houses, whether they are rented by students, or not. Many tenants over many years have been great and looked after the yards, but enough have not, so we build in yard care into the lease. They may not realise they are paying more.

Someone will be along shortly to say they own a house and have had students in there renting for 25 years with never a problem. This won't help you at all with your students.

... didn't want to disappoint you :)
The house that we have five students living in, where the doctor went from student to working doctor (who has just left a few months ago) has been rented to five young men (who change as they graduate) for probably 15 years. They are trouble-free.

If it's a 3 bedroom house, and miracle upon miracle, they agree to paying you more even though you both just formally agreed the rent, that's 3 x 3 x 2 or an extra $ 18 per fortnight.

I'm sure a lawn mowing contractor would be more than happy to drive across town, spend his day cutting the lawns front and back with all of the gear they have to cart with them all for $ 18.

Get real.

Thanks again Dazz for another bit of your ever-so-helpful advice for the innocent OP.

I've just started charging my tenants an extra $10/week for air conditioning. You might find Dazz, that when treated with respect, many tenants will happily agree to an increase in rent in exchange for an increase in the service provided by the landlord.

Many tenants are reasonable people. I've even heard reports of a reasonable student, though that is yet to be confirmed.

And as for your 'get real' comment - I was imagining a 4 bedroom house rented to students. So between $48 - $80 per month. I'm pretty sure you'd find a local contractor to mow a lawn monthly for somewhere in that range.

Matt

You might find Dazz, that when treated with respect, many tenants will happily agree to an increase in rent in exchange for an increase in the service provided by the landlord.

That's fabbo Matty. $ 10 for A/C....$ 5 for lawns. Bring on the menu board. It all adds up.

After a few years you'll be able to reinvest all of your profits with a nice new hot water system for them.

You keep plugging away with that and I'll get back to what I do.

Cheerio.

Back