sub 600K house in Sydney?

Hi,

I am looking for a sub 600K house(ideally) which can get me into the CBD in under 30 minutes.(so prob a train line suburb I guess, not keen on forking out for Sydney CBD parking rates)

Do you think that is still possible in Sydney?

Prefer a lower crime rate(relatively speaking), a couple of ok local restaurants/takeaways and an ok pub.

Get the train timetable for each line. Note the suburbs fall within your criteria. Check the median price for these suburbs. You should have a short list or no list :)

My brother in law bought a house in Loftus last year for $550k, niceish suburb not sure how far to city maybe 40 mins in the train. Had to do a fair bit of reno to make it OK. I don't think it is possible unless you allow for that.

Closer to the CBD you can get houses (that need work) in the high $500Ks. Areas you could look at would be Tempe, Sydenham, and surrounds. I did come across a semi on Croydon Rd Burwood last year for this kind of money too.

So you will have some choices but they will all need work.

I don't know the Sydney rail system, but my experience with European networks is that there tend to be short distance services that stop at every station, and intercity trains that make fewer stops.

The Wikipedia entry suggests that this isn't the case there though. :(

I'd suggest looking for what express service routes exist, and concentrate your search along those. You might be able to find somewhere that's a bit further out (hence cheaper), but still allows you to get into the CBD in a reasonable time.

You might be able to pick up a smaller semi around rockdale/arncliffe for that. Maybe. Haven't checked for a couple of months.

Closer to the CBD you can get houses (that need work) in the high $500Ks. Areas you could look at would be Tempe, Sydenham, and surrounds. I did come across a semi on Croydon Rd Burwood last year for this kind of money too.

So you will have some choices but they will all need work.

Saw that one too, however it was virtually on Parramatta rd.

I'd look towards the southern end of the inner-west (so, Strathfield south, Ashbury, Croydon Park etc).

There are some great houses on decent size lots there. You can potentially look at granny flat extensions to create wealth, or cosmetic reno's (this process has begun with many places, but there are still some rough diamonds waiting to be polished).

Cameron McEvoy
Property Spectator Australia
http://www.propertyspectator.blogspot.com.au/

Jannali would be great place to start.

1) Close to beaches and national parks
2) Nice village feel to local shopping with plenty of cafes and a pub
3) 2 minutes away from Como and the legendary Como Hotel
4) 30 minutes to city by train (every 7 or so minutes during the peak)
5) Good local schools
6) Neighbouring suburbs such at Como, Kareela and Oyster Bay fetching a premium

May have to come up a fraction in price but definitely worth a look.

There are only 3 houses for sale in Jannali at the moment. Must be saying something about the suburb. I am still trying so hard to find value there for a complete reno but will keep looking.

I get the impression from locals that it is tightly held. Sons and daughters from neighbouring suburbs are moving in so its hard to get a foot in at value.

The prices people are paying for new homes is seriously messed up (920K+) so for the reno guru, perfect chance.

Thoughts anyone?

What about Belmore? I would say Belmore/Lidcombe for train line.

If you didnt have to catch a train Id probably say Belfield, just after Croydon Park. 14kms from city approx.

Hi,

I am looking for a sub 600K house(ideally) which can get me into the CBD in under 30 minutes.(so prob a train line suburb I guess, not keen on forking out for Sydney CBD parking rates)

Do you think that is still possible in Sydney?

Prefer a lower crime rate(relatively speaking), a couple of ok local restaurants/takeaways and an ok pub.

What about Belmore? I would say Belmore/Lidcombe for train line.

If you didnt have to catch a train Id probably say Belfield, just after Croydon Park. 14kms from city approx.

From what I've seen, these 2 don't go work well together.

Could try Rhodes as the trains run express from Strathfield and get into the city basically on 30 minutes. There are shops in that area, and the shops at Ryde aren't too far away either. Although the range is basically limited to apartments if talking sub 600k. How many bedrooms are you looking at?

Could try Rhodes as the trains run express from Strathfield and get into the city basically on 30 minutes. There are shops in that area, and the shops at Ryde aren't too far away either. Although the range is basically limited to apartments if talking sub 600k. How many bedrooms are you looking at?

2 or 3. but i'd trade out land size. not really the price range to consider DAs for duplexes/GF/etc.

I might check out Rhodes. thanks. One thing about the Sydney market is that there is literally hardly any stock, you have to be so fast on your feet to secure a decent property when you see it.

Hi Barney

Forget Rhodes- you're out of budget for a house here. Your best bet, really, are the suburbs around the south-west and side of Parramatta ie: Granville, Auburn, Lidcombe- possibly Merrylands but then you're getting closer to 40mins by train rather than 30. Also take a look at Parra proper and the Mays Hill area- can be a bit of a hike to the station but sometimes the odd house does pop up here under $600K that might suit. Also try Rydalmere and Dundas, though you'd need to be prepared to renovate, accept a busier position or a housing dept street. Best of luck :)

Hi Barney

Forget Rhodes- you're out of budget for a house here. Your best bet, really, are the suburbs around the south-west and side of Parramatta ie: Granville, Auburn, Lidcombe- possibly Merrylands but then you're getting closer to 40mins by train rather than 30. Also take a look at Parra proper and the Mays Hill area- can be a bit of a hike to the station but sometimes the odd house does pop up here under $600K that might suit. Also try Rydalmere and Dundas, though you'd need to be prepared to renovate, accept a busier position or a housing dept street. Best of luck :)

Thanks Jacque. re: Housing commision streets. Whats the best way of identifying them? (without living in an area for an extended period).

Any idea how you can get inside info as to when the dept of housing wants to sell up housing commision houses?(ie so there is a bit of gentrification on the cards)?

Back