Subdivided property using strata plan

Hey guys and gals, have 3 questions about houses on subdivided land.

Is there anything in particular I should be on the look out for when purchasing a house on a subdivided land using a strata plan. There is no shared land so no public liability insurance.

Also how does one go about finding what further building improvements can be done on the property or the neighboring properties, in particular adding another storey.

Next door is a commercial building but there is no business in operations. How does one check what type of businesses can be operated from the building.

Property on interest is in Perth, WA.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Joel

Have a chat to a Perth Based Town Planner, they should be happy to talk to you about that sort of thing over the phone.

regards

D

Thanks D.

For the benefit of others, calling the council was helpful. I managed to get some high level overview on possible developments with what criteria a proposal is assessed on. Also some information on the status of the commercial property next door.

Hey guys and gals, have 3 questions about houses on subdivided land.

Is there anything in particular I should be on the look out for when purchasing a house on a subdivided land using a strata plan. There is no shared land so no public liability insurance.

Also how does one go about finding what further building improvements can be done on the property or the neighboring properties, in particular adding another storey.

Next door is a commercial building but there is no business in operations. How does one check what type of businesses can be operated from the building.

Property on interest is in Perth, WA.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Joel

In regards to improvements and being on a strata title, there's no restriction as such as to what you can build, it just gets a bit more complicated as you need the signatures of the other owners on the strata on any planning/building application forms, and depending on your relationship with them, may prove difficult.

If there's no common property or anything then I would consider updating the titles to survey strata, which I think you can simply do via landgate. That way the other owners are taken off the title and you have a title just for your land thereby negating the need for anyone else's permission just to lodge the DA.

Thanks UrbanPlanner. There is no shared land but one property has some overhang over into the other properties driveway.

Back