Subdivision in Logan with a duplex on the rear battleaxe

Hi all

I have a 1500SqM Block with an existing 3 bed house as PPOR in Logan and am considering subdividing a block off the back and building a duplex (probably 2x3 bed/2 bath/1 Lock Up Garage) on the rear battle axe block.

My questions are related to GST and CGT.

Maybe I should subdivide the front existing 3 bed house onto a 600 SqM block and sell that, and build a duplex at the back and live in one as PPOR for at least 12 months. How could I best manage/minimise the GST and CGT implications during this process?

NOTE - I have owned and lived in the existing house for about 18 months now. I have signed nothing to do with the subdivision or building as yet and can live in our caravan for a while if necessary.

I would appreciate any comments and advice :)

Thanks

Bruce
Beenleigh

Where about in Logan are you? Lots happening in the planning world. They will have a new planning scheme later this year. For now, they are operating with three current planning schemes - Logan, Beaudesert and Gold Coast. Beenleigh and the surrounding area became part of Logan in 2008 through a boundary reform process.

If you are in Beenleigh, you might get higher density when the new scheme comes out?

The address of the property is 5 Benjul Drive in Beenleigh. I have a neighbour on one side and a creek on the other side with a bitumen access road beside the side boundary. This was used by Council to access a sewerage pump but the pump has been removed now.

Maybe you should make an appointment with a planner from Council? The width of your lot and the set backs that Council may require from the creek could be issues.
Otherwise a 600m2 subdivision in that zone might have been relatively simple.

Also, a duplex could be an issue whereas the Gold Coast scheme (in a range of zones including that one) allows two detached dwellings on a lot, that may be able to be separately titled by a Community Titles Scheme/Building Format Plan.

Thanks, but I have advice about what is possible.

I am really looking for help with how I can best manage/minimise the GST and CGT implications during this process?

The existing property is privately owned by my wife and I.

Back