Subdivsion without Demolition

Hi,

I was thinking of purchasing a property in the Campbelltown area and was planning it to subdivide it and build another house, in addition to the existing house. I had some questions, and thought that Somersoft with all its knowledgeable posters might be able to help.

I have been reading the Campbelltown City Counil Developmental Plans and still had a few questions.

Basically the property is on 800 sqm with a 20 meter frontage. There is an existing house on it which is located to one side and I am planning to build on the other side. From what I have read on the DCP, this meets the minimum frontage requirements and land size for a multi dwelling development.

There is currently a brick house located on the property which is to one side of the block. This house takes up 10.5 meters to one side, which is up to the wall.

Campbelltown CC requires that in a development, the building be at least 0.9 meters from the side boundary. Is this distance from the wall of the building or the eaves of the roof? The eaves of the roof of the existing house hang out about half a meter from the building, which will make potential development very tight, if it is measured from the eaves.

Also the garage for the existing house is on the empty side of the land, so this will need to be demolished.

According to the DCP, s 3.9.2(b), each multi-dwelling unit should be provided with one garage or carport. Since I am planning to build a house on this side, the detached garage will need to be demolished. So basically a carport will need to be built in front of the existing house, but the problem is that it will fall within 6 metres of the primary street boundary, if built. How do you propose building the carport, and for those who have subdivided, how did you go about this?

In the DCP, it states that s 3.9.2(f), that "Unless Council can be satisfied that an existing dwelling located on the site makes a positive contribution to the character of the streetscape, that dwelling shall be demolished. In the case where an existing dwelling house is to be retained, the design of the new development shall complement the siting, bulk, scale, form, materials, colours and finishes of the existing dwelling."

How do you convince council that the existing dwelling which is to one side will make a positive contribution. This development is only worth undertaking if the existing house can be retained as it saves the cost of building another house.

Another thing that comes to mind is that with the new building, which I am planning to be a double story house, Campbelltown CC requires the building to be 0.9 meters from the boundary for the ground floor, and 1.5 meteres from the boundary for any floor above the ground floor. Does this mean that a house which is built straight which is 0.9 meters from the boundary will not be approved.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help. Any insights would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Mohammad

bump.

Basically, the main question im asking is where is the 0.9 meter to side boundary measured from, the eave of the roof or the side of the building?

Thanks

Hi Mohammad,
I'm not famil with the Campbelltown specific rulings however I have a similar sounding property which I'd like to develop on the back of and had been told many years ago couldn't because of the distance between boundry and building - which was the edge of eaves. In my case I haven't gone back to council yet but have asked a local builder to ascertain whether the eaves can actually be removed from that side and he didn't see a problem with that.
Once you get past general guidelines from Council directly, I've always found that the most efficient way to get something decisioned is via a private town planner who submits on your behalf to council, will cost abit extra upfront but if you calculate your holding costs while trying to put together and go back and forth with Council direct on a submission it saves in the long run. Just look up your local directory for details.
Meg

Back