sun protection for western windows

Does anyone have a good suggestion to shade 2 large western windows? Trees are not an option in this situation.

It's important to keep Sun out but let air through. Ideally, adjustable external louvre shades, but how solid are these in storms and cyclones?

I'm wondering if there is any other product out there that might suit better? Maybe fixed aluminium lattice, set off the wall by half a metre? Or some sort of slotted metal? I thought of shadecloth roll-up blinds, but they will flap around quite a bit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best thing we did for two bedrooms facing west in Brisbane was install metal louvres fixed to the fascia and with brackets at the bottom to the wall and a handle inside to wind them open and shut.

I'm sure they would be built to standards for cyclones... ask the company.

They were fantastic because they kept the sun from hitting the windows and we could keep the windows fully open all day (and the louvres) and just close them for the couple of hours when the sun hit those windows.

That was our first house and in our current house, we have our main bedroom now facing west but with an eastern window for great cross breeze. We had metal louvres installed inside the windows. They do a great job too but we have to open them to close the windows, which is no problem, but if it is belting down rain and coming from that direction, we have twice gotten fairly wet in the rush to get the windows closed.

Mostly the rain doesn't come in, but twice in two years it has almost rained horizontally, and water has come inside those two times.

The benefit of the inside louvres is that they double as security. We leave our windows open most of the year and just angle the louvres when the sun hits them.

Back