Sustainability as a function not a necessity

Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know about a development I have decided to purchase an apartment in.

For all intents and purposes this development is a unit development with 15 apartments in total.

A few years ago I had a look at a re-developed prison in Melbourne called "Pentridge". One of their big claims to fame was the 'green' element of the building (which was quite impressive). I was skeptical at the time that investors would pay more money for the 'green' element when the body corporate costs were similar in other Victorian high rises. But I thought that the green element could be good if it lowered the body corp costings.

I found a small development in Queensland which seems to take that idea further. The developer has filled the roof with solar panels, placed several water tanks under the driveway. In such a small set of apartments my conservative estimates place the body corporate at the lowest I have ever seen. And of course the water tanks are designed to return money to the sewerage and grey water outlets...

The apartments have a lift, but no pool, or large common areas. I think all the solar panels will use power for is the lift, intercom and a few lights.

Aside from that the development is also well placed for infrastructure and future growth - however I thought I would trigger the idea that perhaps as an IP group, sustainability functions can be used to lower body corp rates.

Let me know what you think!

Don't forget the body corporate will charge to do 90 day inspections and treatment of water tanks, 180 day solar panel inspections plus a sinking fund for their eventual repair and/or replacement.

But then, if you're taking the money you're saving from water and power bills and put it towards these costs, then you'd probably be neutral anyway.

I like the theory of it, if it saves money when used for a house it is going to work for a set of houses.

Not sure if I would want to live in a complex in QLD without a pool though :(

I am also a bit surprised that they would put water tanks under a driveway, this could create areas that will flex when heavy vehicles use the driveway resulting in cracked concrete. Furniture removalists will back right into your lounge room if you let them.

Hi All,

Just thought I would let you know about a development I have decided to purchase an apartment in.

For all intents and purposes this development is a unit development with 15 apartments in total.

A few years ago I had a look at a re-developed prison in Melbourne called "Pentridge". One of their big claims to fame was the 'green' element of the building (which was quite impressive). I was skeptical at the time that investors would pay more money for the 'green' element when the body corporate costs were similar in other Victorian high rises. But I thought that the green element could be good if it lowered the body corp costings.

I found a small development in Queensland which seems to take that idea further. The developer has filled the roof with solar panels, placed several water tanks under the driveway. In such a small set of apartments my conservative estimates place the body corporate at the lowest I have ever seen. And of course the water tanks are designed to return money to the sewerage and grey water outlets...

The apartments have a lift, but no pool, or large common areas. I think all the solar panels will use power for is the lift, intercom and a few lights.

Aside from that the development is also well placed for infrastructure and future growth - however I thought I would trigger the idea that perhaps as an IP group, sustainability functions can be used to lower body corp rates.

Let me know what you think!

owners corp is just a money making machine - unless you're running it whether you put sustainability options or not. they're find some other way to cost more. there are buidling managers who get paid 150-200K just sitting around not doing anything.

Back