Sutherland Shire, Sydney

Hi all,

I am considering buying a 2br IP (unit) in the sutherland shire, sydney but am unsure as where in the property cycle this area is sitting. Any local advice would be appreciated.

I've been looking around the shire for a while, in the higher end I don't see all that much happening.
Units seem mostly a little expensive to me atm.

I noticed in the SMH article yesterday Sutherland was among the fastest selling Sydney suburbs on average, so there is some activity in the region:

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...-suburbs-defying-the-glut-20110520-1evc5.html

Whether or not this translates to any sort of appreciable capital growth in the next few years is anyone's guess. I do like the look of some of the beach side suburbs for investing, Cronulla and Woolooware might be good options for 1 and 2 bedroom units if that is what you are looking for.

Units seem mostly a little expensive to me atm.
I agree, and vendors aren't very negotiable (yet).

The thing is, prices in cheaper suburbs have come up and there isn't as much price difference between average and better suburbs anymore so there will be price adjustments for sure.

I think that we'll either have prices in the better suburbs move upwards or the cheaper subs will have to pull back. Considering the low sales activity I think the high asking prices in the cheaper suburbs are unrealistic and they'll come back a bit.

Goose,

Hard to answer that question as "gods country" (yes its a local call to heaven from here.....) covers a diverse area.

I live in Cronulla, by the beach and its exy, bargains do not come up very often, and the market is robust and active. Returns here are appalling for an investor (unless you want a good tax write off) but the cap gain is fine.

Sutherland on the other hand has infrastructure, such as the rail hub (trains go to sutho and then either branch out to waterfall or Cronulla), and the hospitals, and Miranda has one of the largest westfields in the country. Its cheaper than cronulla to buy, but again the returns leave much to be desired.

Both have a large amount of rentals, and the rental market is very tight, but the investment returns are lousy (in my opinion) over the whole area. If your on to bargain, then grab it, and if you'd like an opinon of a certain street or area, then drop me a line, and I'd be happy to lend an opinion.

Personally, I like Gymea, it still retains the village atmosphere, is slightly off the radar and often has good priced old houses that can have dual occ potential.

regards
Luvvit.

Agree with above.

Caringbah South will get very good growth over the next 10 years. The only problem is that it's an $800k start with low-ish yield. If you're cashed up I'd recommend it.

Caringbah is easily the best shout for that budget spend in the area, though the suburb of Sutherland itself offers some good value in the sub-$600K spend level.

It's good to hear from a local

Hi Luvvit,

Thanks for your reply. I have just recently moved to the area and I am also a fan of Gymea, but I don't think I could afford a house in the area, probably just a 2 bedder unit. I think that 'The Shire' is a terrific spot, and I agree with your comments about the diversity of the area. My intention is to buy the best that I can afford in the best suburb I can afford, so I was thinking probably Wooloware or Cronulla, due to the proximity to the water. I have no doubt that values will continue to rise over time but I am trying to do things as smart as I can by avoiding buying at the top of the cycle. Do you think that now is a good time to be buying in this area?

Personally, I like Gymea, it still retains the village atmosphere, is slightly off the radar and often has good priced old houses that can have dual occ potential.

regards
Luvvit.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bon,

I know the beach is awesome. I agree with you there, but other than that what makes you so convinced that prices in the area will double in the next 7 years?

A free lunch at Zimzala's to anyone who wants to give me a 30min opinion of the area.
Only prerequisite it they own property there of course.

lol maybe I set the bar to high?
But really no point getting a property opinion from someone who does not have an IP or PPOR imo.
I been hearing a few complaints about some areas recently, mainly Gerale/Elouera strip.

lol maybe I set the bar to high?
But really no point getting a property opinion from someone who does not have an IP or PPOR imo.
I been hearing a few complaints about some areas recently, mainly Gerale/Elouera strip.

Hi PB,

What sort of complaints? Until fairly recently I lived in Cronulla for around six years and now have a PPOR in another part of the shire. I still get down there regularly. I wouldn't mind living in the area your talking about if I could afford something nice there. There are several drinking establishments in that area so there will undoubtedly be some alcohol related crime, but I have never felt unsafe when out. Another problem with those two streets is gridlocked traffic on summer weekends.

or maybe they don't want competition ;)

That maybe true, but I don't think many here are looking for a waterview/front PPOR (house not unit) in the area.

Hi PB,
What sort of complaints? Until fairly recently I lived in Cronulla for around six years and now have a PPOR in another part of the shire. I still get down there regularly. I wouldn't mind living in the area your talking about if I could afford something nice there. There are several drinking establishments in that area so there will undoubtedly be some alcohol related crime, but I have never felt unsafe when out. Another problem with those two streets is gridlocked traffic on summer weekends.
On weekend nights it's noisy, dirty, drunks staggering home urinating, kicking garbage bins and other activities including sexual all around that area.
Go down Eloura from northies and you will see parties in many front lawns full of intoxicated people spilling out on the streets and loud music. Traffic is a PITA, but the least concern.
And it's quietened down now...

Back