Sutherland Shire, Sydney

That maybe true, but I don't think many here are looking for a waterview/front PPOR (house not unit) in the area.

On weekend nights it's noisy, dirty, drunks staggering home urinating, kicking garbage bins and other activities including sexual all around that area.
Go down Eloura from northies and you will see parties in many front lawns full of intoxicated people spilling out on the streets and loud music. Traffic is a PITA, but the least concern.
And it's quietened down now...

I have been living in Cronulla for 2 years now. Basically South of Northies is a more desirable area. As stated above most of the units north of northies are rented by young people who enjoy their drink and music.

Central to south cronulla have the newer type units and would be a better place to invest if you are looking for good tenants.

lol maybe I set the bar to high?
But really no point getting a property opinion from someone who does not have an IP or PPOR imo.
I been hearing a few complaints about some areas recently, mainly Gerale/Elouera strip.

Hi there

I own a 2 bedder in gymea and a 2 bedder in south cronulla.. Lived in both locations and now renting another house in gymea bay.

Like others have said caringbah south is the pick for houses in the coming years. My units both have good long term tenants in them and I'm achieving good rent for them.

Gymea is good for the village, the train and is central to the shire. South cronulla is great too away from the noise and traffic of north cronulla, northies etc and has great parks and quiet beaches as well as gunnamatta bay.

I'd love to buy a house there but looking at $1million +

I'd hoping to buy a 4 bed house in south caringbah in the next couple of years.

Cheers

Cronulla REAs like McGrath must be doing a roaring trade cause their service absolutely sux. Both sale and rental sides.
Obviously not a good place to buy atm.

Cronulla REAs like McGrath must be doing a roaring trade cause their service absolutely sux. Both sale and rental sides.
Obviously not a good place to buy atm.

I've lived in the area for 20 years now in various parts of the Shire, namely Jannali, Heathcote, Sutherland itself and now Miranda.

I didn't grow up in the area and family aren't from the region (altough my ex wife's family are) so have a fairly unbiased opionion of the area.

In my opinion it's the place you move to if you can't afford to buy, or otherwise don't like, the North Shore or Eastern Suburbs and refuse to move out west. Prices are reasonable in pockets with the low end being Loftus/Engadine/Heathcote right through to the high end being anything along the Port Hacking waterways, Sylvania Waters , Taren Point and also parts of the Menai/Illawong/Alfords Pt area with many properties there over the $1M mark now. Some say Jannali is the one of the next suburbs to take off and may be true given the lack of stock available in that area.

I work in the city so being near a train station is vital to me, so that rules out Alfords Pt , Illawong, Menai, Bangor, Kareela, Oyster Bay and Sylvania as being desirable locations to live, the last of those being my preferred Shire location.

Like anywhere in Sydney traffic is an issue especially on Saturday mornings with parents driving kids to play sport, and with no free way to the city, the major arterial roads of Princes Highway and Taren Ponint Road/Rocky Point Rd are a morning and afternoon car park on weekdays.

Cronulla to me is overrated as a suburb but i guess I'm in the minority. Forget trying to get parking there on a sunny weekend day and based on what you read in the local rag, The Leader, Cronulla probably has one of the the highest incidences of violent crime in Sydney (mainly alcohol related) , despite the Shire as a whole having a fairly low violent crime rate.

I've lived in the area for 20 years now in various parts of the Shire, namely Jannali, Heathcote, Sutherland itself and now Miranda.

I didn't grow up in the area and family aren't from the region (altough my ex wife's family are) so have a fairly unbiased opionion of the area.

In my opinion it's the place you move to if you can't afford to buy, or otherwise don't like, the North Shore or Eastern Suburbs and refuse to move out west. Prices are reasonable in pockets with the low end being Loftus/Engadine/Heathcote right through to the high end being anything along the Port Hacking waterways, Sylvania Waters , Taren Point and also parts of the Menai/Illawong/Alfords Pt area with many properties there over the $1M mark now. Some say Jannali is the one of the next suburbs to take off and may be true given the lack of stock available in that area.

This is true in our case.
Was priced out of the Eastern suburbs after growing up there my whole life.
Bought in Caringbah, could only afford a run down dump on Taren Point rd.
Had renovating skills, so that's the reason for the buy.
That was 8 years ago.

We really like the area now.
Got an IP in Miranda few years ago fairly close to the train stations and Westfields, has done really well and never vacant at good rental rates.

My wife likes Cronulla, but I don't.
Will be upgrading PPOR soon and staying around the area.
Probably pick up a modern waterfront in either South Caringbah or Burraneer.

I've lived here in the Shire for 20 odd years as well. Best place in Sydney, but a local would say that wouldn't he?

People say Shire folk are different, and to a large degree that is true, but you'll find within the Shire it is pretty varied.

You have the Westies from Menai who think they're all that, the surfers from Cronulla who think they ARE the Shire and no one else counts etc etc. Subcultures within a subculture you might say.

In terms of units, I'd stay away from Kirrawee and Jannali, and look at parts of Miranda/Caringbah as the better areas. Anything OTP, especially in Sutherland is 20-30% overpriced and you are guaranteed to do your dough in.

I'm quite happy in Engadine for now, but as with all areas you tend to get the good, the bad and the ugly. Just pick the right street and you'll be alright.

In my opinion it's the place you move to if you can't afford to buy

In my opinion that opinion is very far from fact.
I can rent in Cronulla from someone who is losing tens of thousands per year owning the place, why would I be dumb enough to buy?

I can rent out a 600K property in the burbs and have enough to rent a 1.2-1.5Mil place in Cronulla. Why would I buy there? I know how to use a calculator.

And rents are relatively much more cheaper in the higher priced homes on the water.

And given my experiences over the last few years the PMs there mostly suck as well when it comes to looking after their clients REA assets.

And given all that, there must be plenty more downside if REAs are not actively chasing business.

Cronulla probably has one of the the highest incidences of violent crime in Sydney (mainly alcohol related) , despite the Shire as a whole having a fairly low violent crime rate.
That would be mainly around Duningham park on weekends.
The rest is fairly low.

In my opinion that opinion is very far from fact.

What I meant was if you desire to own a place to live and the Northern and Eastern Suburbs are out of your price range AND you don't want to head west, then the Sutherland shire is probably the next best place to live in Sydney. There's no facts in this mate, it's all opinion given that a lot of the factors that influence a persons preference to live somewhere are purely related to what's going on in their headspace.

Back