Sydney based interstate conveyancing

Hi guys,
Been a reader on here for a while but I haven't been able to search for this successfully.

Can anyone recommend a sydney based solicitor for buying interstate?

I guess more specifically I am looking to purchase my next property in either nt or qld and it would make it easier if the solicitor was sydney based.

Cheers!

Legal practising is a state by state basis so unless the firm has a NT or QLD license, then they cant perform legal works in the state

Hi Cal

Unusual to find someone who is based in one state but conveyances in another state. Legislation and procedures are very different. The only ones I know are based on the QLD/NSW Border so practice in both out of necessity. Also, all the parties still physically attend settlement (although lawyers can engage an agent to attend on their behalf).

In QLD as a buyer you don't need to sign the transfer documents and unless you are claiming a Stamp Duty concession (which as an investor I assume you aren't) there is no need for you to sign any original documentation and everything can be done via email.

Legal practising is a state by state basis so unless the firm has a NT or QLD license, then they cant perform legal works in the state

Not true Dave.

I am setting up a conveyancing division of my firm, FinLaw P/L, and we will be doing conveyancing and property law for all states - starting from July. I've got a top property lawyer on board with experience in property transactions from every state.

Not true Dave.

I am setting up a conveyancing division of my firm, FinLaw P/L, and we will be doing conveyancing and property law for all states - starting from July. I've got a top property lawyer on board with experience in property transactions from every state.

But then you will be licensed to do the work in each state....

Ta

Rolf

But then you will be licensed to do the work in each state....

Ta

Rolf

Lawyers don't need to be licenced in each state. There is mutual recognition so since i am licensed in NSW I am able to do legal work in each state. Not sure about court appearances though.

Lawyers don't need to be licenced in each state. There is mutual recognition so since i am licensed in NSW I am able to do legal work in each state. Not sure about court appearances though.

Do they not need a practising certificate for each state in which they wish to operate? Which is what I was referring to about practising being on a state by state basis.

Do they not need a practising certificate for each state in which they wish to operate? Which is what I was referring to about practising being on a state by state basis.

No Not anymore. Mutual recognition works across the states. Once you are admitted in 1 state you can work in all the others and only need to change your pc to that state if you do the majority of your work there.

No Not anymore. Mutual recognition works across the states. Once you are admitted in 1 state you can work in all the others and only need to change your pc to that state if you do the majority of your work there.

OK great, thanks for clearing that up!

Back