Sydney is !@#$

Sydney is the most expensive and unaffordable city in Australia to live in... What's so good about it? I don't understand why people want to live there and continue to choose living there.

Everyone wants to live in the Inner suburbs which would be okay if you could afford it - close proximity to everything which means not so much traveling time, etc. but the problem is for FHOB and newly wed couples is the Inner suburbs are incredibly unaffordable... so, the only way to get affordable housing is to move way out like Liverpool and Campbelltown way.. even then, those places are dumps and there is really nothing in those areas that would entice me to want to buy a PPOR and live there.

Buying out West where it's affordable and commuting along the congested motorways? Talk of expanding the M5 to 3 lanes to accommodate the traffic, so the M5 is going to run on 1 lane each way while they expand it? Bwahaha, forget it, Sydney wouldn't be able to cope with that.

M4 is just as bad... 2 hours in peak traffic to get to Penrith or St Claire where affordable housing is.. a lot of people coming in real early in the morning 1-2 hours before they start work just to beat the peak hour traffic. Not to mention the fuel + toll costs coming in at close to $100/wk. Jesus!

People in Sydney are chasing their own tail in a massive rat race just to merely survive... people who have affordable property and commute are still doing 12+ hour days with all the traveling time. What kind of a life is that? No wonder stress, obesity and divorce rates are at an all time high. Even with dual income families they can manage okay financially, but there's little downtime and quality time spent together when they're doing long days.

For those who live and work out West... man, why would you? Plenty of affordable living in much nicer places such as 2 hours North in Newcastle, even 1 hour North on the Central Coast.

Melbourne is a city that probably offers everything Sydney does in terms of food, culture, sport, etc. and is so much more affordable with a better designed roads that run like a grid.. Sydney's road design is absolutely !@#$ and can't cope with so much traffic since it's all steered into the one place.

True....but most of Australia's most powerful as based in Sydney.

Sydney is like New York, Paris, and London. It is a dog eat dog city.....and as with all global cities it is place where people who want action congregrate.

Personally, I think Sydney is great....but agree that you need serious dollars to have a good standard of living. Most people in this city are just posers...who rent, have good careers but are not wealthy and big note themselves. Having said that....there is an element of Sydney who are really wealthy and they just don't live in the East or North. There are lot of really rich people out West in places like Bankstown, Liverpool, and Camden.

Sydney is the most expensive and unaffordable city in Australia to live in... What's so good about it? I don't understand why people want to live there and continue to choose living there.

Everyone wants to live in the Inner suburbs which would be okay if you could afford it - close proximity to everything which means not so much traveling time, etc. but the problem is for FHOB and newly wed couples is the Inner suburbs are incredibly unaffordable... so, the only way to get affordable housing is to move way out like Liverpool and Campbelltown way.. even then, those places are dumps and there is really nothing in those areas that would entice me to want to buy a PPOR and live there.

Buying out West where it's affordable and commuting along the congested motorways? Talk of expanding the M5 to 3 lanes to accommodate the traffic, so the M5 is going to run on 1 lane each way while they expand it? Bwahaha, forget it, Sydney wouldn't be able to cope with that.

M4 is just as bad... 2 hours in peak traffic to get to Penrith or St Claire where affordable housing is.. a lot of people coming in real early in the morning 1-2 hours before they start work just to beat the peak hour traffic. Not to mention the fuel + toll costs coming in at close to $100/wk. Jesus!

People in Sydney are chasing their own tail in a massive rat race just to merely survive... people who have affordable property and commute are still doing 12+ hour days with all the traveling time. What kind of a life is that? No wonder stress, obesity and divorce rates are at an all time high. Even with dual income families they can manage okay financially, but there's little downtime and quality time spent together when they're doing long days.

For those who live and work out West... man, why would you? Plenty of affordable living in much nicer places such as 2 hours North in Newcastle, even 1 hour North on the Central Coast.

Melbourne is a city that probably offers everything Sydney does in terms of food, culture, sport, etc. and is so much more affordable with a better designed roads that run like a grid.. Sydney's road design is absolutely !@#$ and can't cope with so much traffic since it's all steered into the one place.

I don't know why anyone would want to live in a city. I hate crowds.I hate having to dodge people when walking down a street. Traffic is crazy.

Towns are a nicer choice.We actually own our PPOR in a small town.Can walk to anywhere..almost,if we want. (Canada)

Here in Kilcoy,Qld we are staying in a nice small town.The owner drives everyday to Brisbane !!! I know it really isn't that far, but I can't imagine driving that distance everyday to go to work....and back again..5 days a week.

I think you make some good points Bon, but Sydney will always be popular IMO despite affordability pressures. More out of convenience a lot of new migrants settle in Sydney and with family ties decide not to move elsewhere. This in itself has put considerable pressure on an upwardly priced property market in desirable areas you mentioned. I grew up in Carlingford and in a couple of decades ive seen the average house prices go from mid 120Ks (late 80s) to mid 800Ks!

I can only think we need to see some greater shifts in the employment sectors/living areas of the city, with prices high around the desirable CBD, maybe there needs to be a greater focus on areas like Chatswood, Parramatta etc to help with sustainability.

We've just seen the back of a terrible state government, so here's hoping there is some responsible investment in infrastructure to better connect what i think is the best city in the world!

Yep, Bon, Sydney is one heck of a tough place to live, but as Sash implies, it's just about the only place to be if you're a certain type of person.

Having lived for many years each in Perth, Canberra, Melbourne and now Sydney, I can honestly say that I think Sydney's got something very special about it.

Sash pointed to what it is with his use of the expression "a dog-eat-dog place". I've always thought along the same lines too, but would phrase it a bit differently: Sydney people generally, unlike the rest of their countrymen, are just obsessed with getting ahead.

I don't know why this is, and it may be the cost of living in Sydney, but it seems to me that people here just delight in racing up the career ladder, starting their own businesses, and above all, doing deals!

It's almost like there's more of a capitalist culture to Sydney compared to other places I've lived in Australia.

I've had this suspicion confirmed dozens of times in conversations with out-of-towners, who have repeatedly expressed to me distaste bordering on disgust at the predominance of money, property and business-world gossip in Sydney-side conversation. (I've actually probed for their reactions quite intentionally, because I too have wondered for a long time what made Sydney feel so different.)

Personally, this is what I most like about the place. It's just go, go, go for than next business deal with everyone all the time. It's just such a buzz!

Of course, there are some people on the go in every city, but here, it just feels like everyone's on the go! And I love that about it.

Bon
So when are you leaving?
Adjos amigo, 1 less car on our roads :D

Million dollar question, huh?

Sydney has some things that I can't get elsewhere, but it's secondary to my investments, cost and ease of living... Come July after the end of the financial year, I'll be making decisions when I assess my financial position and investment(s). A return to Mount Isa looks pretty good at this stage in all honesty.

I can only think we need to see some greater shifts in the employment sectors/living areas of the city, with prices high around the desirable CBD, maybe there needs to be a greater focus on areas like Chatswood, Parramatta etc to help with sustainability.

It has got to happen, it already is happening from what I understand.

Geez Bon, for a moment there I thought you'd landed a job with the Melbourne City Council!! :D

The Y-man

Personally, I think Sydney is great....but agree that you need serious dollars to have a good standard of living. Most people in this city are just posers...who rent, have good careers but are not wealthy and big note themselves.

So I'm a "poser" by your definition then sash, not that I big note myself. But I completely disagree with you that you need serious dollars to have a good standard of living in Sydney.
But as I'm a "poser" I've attached a picture out my unit window to prove that you don't need to be wealthy in Sydney to have a good standard of living.
All of 8min by Ferry to work:)

The answer is to rent where you want to live and invest where you can afford to buy.

Absolutely agree. But the problem with people like Bon is that they can't think this way. They would rather buy and live in a outer suburb (because they feel warm and fuzzy that they "own" the place they live in), rather than rent in a nice location, and invest elsewhere.

Everyone wants to live in the Inner suburbs which would be okay if you could afford it - close proximity to everything which means not so much traveling time, etc. but the problem is for FHOB and newly wed couples is the Inner suburbs are incredibly unaffordable

Bon, here's a thought. Why not rent on the harbour for $580/wk for 2br unit(like we do), and invest somewhere else. With the money you would spend on a PPOR out west (say ~500K), you could get 2 investment units ($250K each) that are neutral geared, and you own 2 properties, and live with an excellent lifestyle in the CBD, all for less outgoings that if you were to buy a $500K PPOR as a FHOB.
Stop whinging and get smarter!!. Sydney is very affordable if you are smart. Work you way up.
How many pay more that $2320/mth in interest + principle to live in a "dream" home way out west,when you could be living like the rich on the harbour for the same cost, and investing elsewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_3923.jpg
    IMG_3923.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3927.jpg
    IMG_3927.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 144
Why state that everyone wants to live in the inner suburbs? NOT TRUE !

We live and work in the western suburbs and are very happy !

Not everone works in the city you know.
I love spending time on my days off in the city, especially around the harbour and the beaches. But we wanted our own place so that meant moving out into the suburbs. We are still living in Sydney......the best city in the world, in my opinion...

To Blue storm

We live and work in the western suburbs. Its not a case of wanting to feel warm and fuzzy in our home. I dont like renting. I dont like the restrictions. I want to paint a room if I wish, hang a picture where I want, plant trees or flowers, build a deck.
I want to do what I want to do. I dont want to ask permission to do this and that.
Renting does not suit us whatsover.
Cheers Jennifer

Reactions: BV
True....but most of Australia's most powerful as based in Sydney.

Sydney is like New York, Paris, and London. It is a dog eat dog city.....and as with all global cities it is place where people who want action congregrate.

Personally, I think Sydney is great....but agree that you need serious dollars to have a good standard of living. Most people in this city are just posers...who rent, have good careers but are not wealthy and big note themselves. Having said that....there is an element of Sydney who are really wealthy and they just don't live in the East or North. There are lot of really rich people out West in places like Bankstown, Liverpool, and Camden.

No, it's not.

bluestorm,

I rent in the Inner West... 5mins to my wrestling gym, 15mins to work... I have investments elsewhere.

I'd personally never buy a PPOR in Sydney, but that's just me.

bluestorm,

I rent in the Inner West... 5mins to my wrestling gym, 15mins to work... I have investments elsewhere.

I'd personally never buy a PPOR in Sydney, but that's just me.

So what is your whinge in your original post about. Sounds like a Mexican (ie, Victorian), has come to Sydney, and started to complain about everything Sydney, and how Melbourne is so much better.

Come on, fair dinkum. In terms of culture and lifestyle, Sydney doesn't even remotely compare to Melbourne. Melbourne is a beautiful, diverse city full of wonderful cultural adventures, like restaurants, music, art, beaches (well, you gotta drive 90 minutes down to the coast for real beaches, but whatever), and they have The Espy, The Prince of Wales, The Tote, The Forum and goodness knows how many other awesome pubs and clubs to see great bands in and all of these activities are within very easy reach.

Sydney? You have to travel for hours just to get anywhere. I really strongly dislike Sydney as a place in and of itself. An awful place and really, comparing it to NY or London is like comparing a fine dining meal to McDonalds. Sydney is a place that wants to be NY or London, but fails miserably. To put it in context, Sydney is to New York what John Howard was to George Bush - the dorky kid that desperately wanted to be liked by the cool kid, but just looked like a darn fool.

Back