Sydney is !@#$

ha ha! Welcome to Metro culture, mate! Or do you mean to say that you don't find the above in NY, London, Melbourne or any Metro city of the world worth any salt? :confused:
I'm just confused what you meant by "Hip hop lifestyle". Sydney isn't really a "hip hop" lifestyle.

What a ridiculous post mark. You dont think Sydney has any of these things? Our classic indi band pubs that compare to the ones you mention? You bet we do. Only better. Music scene? Better. Culture? Plenty?

The thing is thats all Melbourne has. Sydney has that and soooo much more.

Travel for hours to get where?

As for the rest of your post, absolutely wrong. Sounds and is from a person that doesn't know Sydney well.

Come on, fair dinkum. In terms of culture and lifestyle, Sydney doesn't even remotely compare to Melbourne. Melbourne is a beautiful, diverse city full of wonderful cultural adventures, like restaurants, music, art, beaches (well, you gotta drive 90 minutes down to the coast for real beaches, but whatever), and they have The Espy, The Prince of Wales, The Tote, The Forum and goodness knows how many other awesome pubs and clubs to see great bands in and all of these activities are within very easy reach.

Sydney? You have to travel for hours just to get anywhere. I really strongly dislike Sydney as a place in and of itself. An awful place and really, comparing it to NY or London is like comparing a fine dining meal to McDonalds. Sydney is a place that wants to be NY or London, but fails miserably. To put it in context, Sydney is to New York what John Howard was to George Bush - the dorky kid that desperately wanted to be liked by the cool kid, but just looked like a darn fool.

Sydney (and Melbourne) are both s***holes.

The best thing about them, is the road out. ;)

Ha Ha! To be honest, I wouldn't be living in Sydney if I were financially free! And that may hold true to vast number of Sydneysiders. And so we have Baby Boomers moving out as they retire. But this is also a fact that Sydney provides livelihood like no other Australian city can, also goes to its credit. And Sydney provides the fastest road to financial freedom unless you're a businessman. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And so we have Baby Boomers moving out as they retire. )
No they don't, they prefer to be close to their kids and other relatives. Even the migration to QLD is reversing. I know people who have come back and find it hard to purchase their old property back

Ha Ha! To be honest, I wouldn't be living in Sydney if I were financially free! And that may hold true to vast number of Sydneysiders. And so we have Baby Boomers moving out as they retire. But this is also a fact that Sydney provides livelihood like no other Australian city can, also goes to its credit. And Sydney provides the fastest road to financial freedom unless you're a businessman. :)

agree with u totally - if you're some dude living on 30-50K in queensland - and all u do is just whinge about melbourne or sydney - just shows one thing - inability to comprehend what a property is worth and hasn't really been exposed to net worth of being able to purchase properties in this range as if he did his responses wouldn't be that. i do agree though he has a sense of humor though hahaha.

Sorry, getting sidetracked here, but I thought, the place to be in terms of fastracking to financial freedom would be Perth for the time being?

I think that this discussion is completely relative to the individuals ...

Not everyone wants the same thing out of life ... I don't desire an inner city life or life in the trendy inner-west ... I certainly don't desire a life in the lower north shore ... I know that this is the cup of tea that others like to drink ... but for me, these are the suburbs that I might admire the architecture and the history in ... but as an individual I probably wouldnt "fit in" ... I love the big gorgeous houses of Hunters Hill, but I am not a Hunters Hill person ... Sure I could probably live in Balmain or Anandale or something, but yeah ... I'd rather get a great deal more bang for my buck ... I'd rather live in the "nasty" West and be surrounded by trees than stuck in city apartment even with water views ... I prefer Cronulla to Bondi. I prefer the Katoomba to Newtown ... these are the choices I would make as an individual. I now that others wouldnt agree.

It comes down to what city fits YOU or which parts of a city fits the individual ... I found myself freaking out in Melbourne because people in the city made more eye contact and I was starting to feel self-conscious and paranoid ... And Brisbane ... I lived there for 3 years and wouldnt do it again ... It was ok ... It just wasnt me.

Sydney is not perfect, but no city is ... any city with a longish history will have wonky roads and odd geography and social issues and an ever evolving sense of what is valuable in regards to location and culture (look at Redfern where you have people shooting up across the road from $$$ terraces or Darlinghurst where my friend has working girls deficating at the end of her street after their jobs) ... that is simply life in and around a city. You place value on what you like ... just as others do.

At the end of the day ... we choose to live where we live one way or another ...

Sorry, getting sidetracked here, but I thought, the place to be in terms of fastracking to financial freedom would be Perth for the time being?

Possibly.. for the time being, but I dont think Perth has the same batting average of Sydney

Sydney (and Melbourne) are both s***holes.

The best thing about them, is the road out. ;)

This comment reminds me of my in-laws. According to them, we still live in a "flat".

Still a bit grumpy over this-I am trying to be polite so don't say anything while they go on.

I know our starter home, which is now an IP, is currently 4 X the value of their home.

Then again, they don't have gridlock, dirty air or any shops open after noon on Saturday, so to each their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
This comment reminds me of my in-laws. According to them, we still live in a "flat".

Still a bit grumpy over this-I am trying to be polite so don't say anything while they go on.

I know our starter home, which is now an IP, is currently 4 X the value of their home.

Then again, they don't have gridlock, dirty air or any shops open after noon on Saturday, so to each their own.

what can you do? half the time the guy just craps on negatively with one liners without any real depth or knowhow. envy is more like it.

hahaha - to me he's just online entertainment. that's all.

Everyone wants to live in the Inner suburbs which would be okay if you could afford it - close proximity to everything which means not so much traveling time, etc. but the problem is for FHOB and newly wed couples is the Inner suburbs are incredibly unaffordable... so, the only way to get affordable housing is to move way out like Liverpool and Campbelltown

and how is that any different from your parents generation - and their parents generation etc etc. they bought in the (at that time) second rate outer suburbs and moved up.

when you start out, you buy what you can afford and upgrade over the years!

sheesh - why does the current generation reckon they are entitled to short circuit the process instead of winding up the flywheel.

this must be the dozenth whinge on this topic i've heard on ss over the last few years.

get over yourselves - your ***** does stink

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES, I'll have what she's having :p:D

It is addictive and I think that's why I love doing deals there so much with people that like doing the same.;)

I'm a HE! But you sound like someone I could relate to, so if you want to take me out and pay for drinks: Heck, I won't complain! :D

I'm a HE!

Well of course I was quoting a line off the movie "When Harry met Sally" :) (the dining room scene when Sally was faking)

But you sound like someone I could relate to, so if you want to take me out and pay for drinks: Heck, I won't complain! :D
Well now I have to quote another line, this time from the Simpsons, "Last exit to Springfiled" episode (when Homer is talking to Mr Burns): Sorry, Mr. Burns, but I don't go in for these backdoor shenanigans. Sure, I'm flattered, maybe even a little curious, but the answer is no!
:p:D

Back