Sydney is !@#$

I just want to know why that art critic looking guy in a St Kilda cafe knew I was from Sydney before I said a word...

"you must be from Sydney"

Are people in St Kilda so conscious of what they wear and others are wearing that they can identify people from other cities (and name the city?) BTW I was wearing a GAP jumper which I don't think you can buy in Sydney.

A comment on Sydney work ethic (specifically large law firms):-

"A now-infamous internal e-mail from Allen Allen & Hemsley partner Andrew Boxall, which berated colleagues about their low working stamina, highlighted the mentality that has become a worrying feature of the Australian work environment.

The e-mail, which was leaked to the Australian Financial Review in October, read: "Any lawyer who responds, 'I'd like to help, but I've got a lot on' (or words to that effect) when I approach him or her with work in the next few days will be well advised to have a good reason why, night word processors aside, the only people on level 24 at 10.30 tonight are (partner Charles) Armitage, (senior associate Steve) Vrontis and me (and both Armitage and I are supposed to be on school holidays with our children)." The e-mail was written just after 10.30pm on a Tuesday night."

Good post Ajax. That just about sums it up.

There's a seriously crazy shape-up-or-ship-out mentality about this place. I'm not condoning it's healthilessness (just love word games, sorry), as I have suffered to its detriment myself, to be honest. And I push my team unrelentingly, too.

I guess it's what you're prepared to buy into for an interesting life. "'Having an interest in" something is a very complicated idea, when you think about it. It can be intellectual, material, motivating, partial, obsessional and even depressional (oops, there I go again), just to name a few.

Sydney's not short on interest!

Sydney is the most expensive and unaffordable city in Australia to live in... What's so good about it? I don't understand why people want to live there and continue to choose living there.

Hey Bon.. Have you tried living in Darwin? High humidity and temperature over 30 C all year. It feels like living in Dubai/Qatar.

I have an IP in Darwin, NT....Not Today...Not Tomorrow...seems to sum up the work ehtic.

So does a phone message when I was trying to contact a conveyancer. "The office is closed. We've gone fishin'."

Last edited:
Yeah, I love that one!

"NT: Not today, not tomorrow, not Tuesday, not Thursday."

But what I love most about it is that it tells me so much . . . and I'm not damned to living there!

And, damn it all, I hate humidity!

Hardly a dump my friend. Just the kitchen and bathroom are not renovated to the mod-con level that some of the "unaffortable property" whingers expect these days. No fancy splash-back, no nice glassy bathroom.
So some idiot is going to pay $780/wk for a 1bedroom in the same building (cause it looks pretty). We'll have a bigger unit for $200/wk less. Who's the silly one.
For the $10000 different in a year I think I may take another 1mth overseas trip.

And I expect to be paying $650/wk in 12mths time. But then we'll just raise the rents on 3 other investments by $20/wk to cover that:D. Net effect $0.
Or move maybe closer to the richer people at Kirribilli? for cheaper rent.

your paying about $100 pw for a substandard veiw of the harbour,when you could have a better place and spend the extra cash on a good meal with proper sydney veiws . just an idea

your paying about $100 pw for a substandard veiw of the harbour,when you could have a better place and spend the extra cash on a good meal with proper sydney veiws . just an idea

I'd hardly call it a substandard view atsim. But then again you may be right, and the constant stream of cars at the point, people picnicing, and tour buses may all be wrong on the quality of the view. It's also about the parks and surroundings as well, and quality of life.
Double Bay and Vaucluse are less convienent if that is your point.

The point is, in response to Bon, that there are plenty of affordable places in Sydney, and Sydney has a lot to offer. People are just hell bent of the idea of home ownership and a PPOR (at far greater monthly cost), rather than looking at options of renting and investing elsewhere.

What's the plan if you return to Mt Isa? Things are pretty rosy there atm, almost like the middle of the boom few years back. In terms of sentiment/jobs, not talking property.

Just glad that everyone has different views about where to live etc. If we all had the same views life would be pretty boring....and investing wouldn't be the same either :)

However, having grown up in London (UK) and also lived in other major cities such as Toronto (CAN), Geneva (SWZ), Brighton (UK), and now Sydney, I have to say that Sydney has so many things to offer that nowhere else does (and no I haven't lived a luxury life up to moving to Sydney). The lifestyle in Sydney is also very special.

My first property I bought was a small house in the country that was very cheap and the furniture that I first got was also cheap and not that great. However, over time you build it up. Now based in Sydney life is just great. Nowadays most youngsters want to have the biggest and best property and the best furniture etc right at the start.

I live in the city but work out of the city....just because I am really appreciating Sydney at the present moment. Traffic is also pretty good (as most travel into the city in the morning and out at night - and I do the reverse).

Just my thoughts :)

Back