Sydney West -St Marys and Colyton

Hi forumites

Have just spent a few days driving and hoofing around St Marys and Colyton trying to get familiar with the area.

Looking at picking up an IP and was pleasantly surprised with what I found, the area is looking very good and (for the most part) houses looked in good nick... except Starr real estate which has every window smashed in (angry tennant perhaps???)

Anyway I wanted to gain some insight from the wise, any area within St Marys and Colyton to avoid? and any misc info would be good. And of course, general opinion on the area would be appreciated.

I think good prospects for cap growth over time, and rent return is reasonable. Seems like a go-er to me.....

I have been looking around the same area lately as well.
Be interesting to hear some comments as I am looking for my 1st investment property at the moment and plan to purchase very soon.

Mick

I have a couple of properties at Colyton and grew up in the area.

Most of Colyton is fine, though I wouldn't buy right next to the local shops.

As for St Marys, parts of North St Marys are not so great, still lots of housing commission around. I guess the worst of the area is around the local shops. I was looking to buy a townhouse around there a few years back as my PPR and the agents told me it wasn't safe for me to live in that area on my own.

There are also pockets of St Marys, near the train station that aren't too great.

My advice would be to have a drive around the suburbs. It is pretty easy to spot the good and not-so-good areas.

Thanks Beachgurl

Yeah, I got the same impression about the areas close to the station as well. I've been more impressed by Colyton than St Marys to be honest. I would have thought that being closer to the station and cbd would be a plus, but by going out there a few times, and just taking the time to walk and ride my bike about, I dont "feel" that safe, whilst only 3 mins drive away, and many of the back streets have good houses, in excellent order and a nice feel.... nothing like on the ground work to help put your mind at ease eh?

Anyone else have any handy hints for a newbie?

Look around South St marys as it is more a owner occupied area and close to all amenities. Another good are close by is Werrington through to Penrith in particular Kingswood (not Kingswood Park).
As with any purchase, make sure you purchase it at least 20% below market value and then enjoy the ride.

South st marys is the better part for investments, near there RSL with all the new townhoses. the east side of the greatwestern highway is older,the south side between the m4 and the greatwestern highway is good, my sister lives there and my aunty just bought a place.
Check out st clair to, i grew up there and you can get some decent larger places. St. clair is more brick vineer construction and you will find colyton and stmarys are more clad.

There working on the roads around there to, trying to improve the traffic access to and from the m4. Also there are a few new estates being built about 15-20min west of st. clair

Back