Sydney's best suburbs!!

The inaugural edition of the "Sydney Morning Herald Good Suburbs Guide" recently reviewed 641 Sydney suburbs, and though Bronte (eastern suburbs beach suburb) was the overall winner, the winners for the other categories make for some surprising results.

BEST INVESTMENT

Alexandria, North Sydney, Parramatta and Ultimo For houses and apartmentS

BEST LIFESTYLE

Avalon A relaxed hot spot by the beach with great cafes and a cinema.

Balmain A charming waterfront suburb with classic pubs and a ferry to the city.

Bundeena A secluded southern hideaway with a vibrant arts community and beautiful beaches surrounded by national park.

BEST FAMILY

Baulkham Hills and Castle Hill Big, affordable homes with access to good schools.

Kirrawee Borders the Royal National Park, with an affordable median house price, good sports facilities, schools and its own train station.

Roseville Majestic homes on big blocks close to top private schools.

BEST VALUE

Banksia and Arncliffe Good selection of affordable period homes 20 minutes' drive from the city.

Glenwood and Kings Langley Close to M2, with affordable entry-level prices.

St Peters Close to King Street, fair median prices.

Manly Vale Near the beach and on the commuter corridor, packed full of affordable apartments and large family homes on big blocks.

Northmead and Rydalmere Close to Parramatta and very affordable.

UP AND COMING

North Ryde Growth expected as a result of big firms heading to Macquarie Park and new stations built for the Epping-to-Chatswood rail link.

Redfern Close to the centre and redevelopment is planned - the ugly duckling is finally set to turn into a swan.

North Parramatta Period homes at a bargain price within a hop, step and jump of the central west's fast-evolving business hub.

Link to complete article here
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with most (but not all) of the picks, but in particular with the best family, value and investment spots. North Parra region (inc Northmead and surrounds) has a lot going for it, particularly in terms of affordability and proximity to transport and Sydney's second CBD, Parramatta.
Also second the authors opinions on North Ryde area- with all the dvpt currently happening (inc the massive upgrade of Top Ryde shopping centre) this area is looking good. Transport is also solid, with rail and frequent buses along Victoria Rd
Gladesville, though not mentioned here, still remains a personal favourite as well, as it's less than 10km from Sydney, sits across the water from the trendier and more expensive Balmain and is next door to the fabulously expensive Hunters Hill (a lovely spot!)
There are so many amazing suburbs in Sydney, it's a hard task to pick the cream of the crop but then again, when you don't have to worry about budget, I guess it's a job made far easier

I love Sydney :D

Don't know about for investing, but my Grandma lived in Deewhy for about 30 years.

On the North Shore, near the beach and Pittwater rd leading to the City.

It's a great spot.

thanks for your post Jacque
I agreed with most of the areas
except north parramatta why would you think it is a great place ?
there is no train station in the areas and the petrol price has been
going up so any places doesn't have a train station would be a disadvantage.

Macquarie Park & North Ryde have been little mover and shakers, and the demand will continue to be ripe due to the massive influx's of businesses to the area.

I'm a little bias (as I grew up here) but Ryde (and West Ryde) seem to be going through alot of change, all positive. Suburbs affected by these changes include Ryde, Nth Ryde, East Ryde, Gladesville, Top Ryde, West Ryde, Nth Ryde, Meadowbank, Macquarie Park, Marsfield.

Some notable attractions:

North Ryde Business Park (pegged the Silicon Valley of Australia)
Macquarie Shopping Centre
Top Ryde Shopping Centre (Re-build completion in apprx 1 year)
Epping to Chatswood Rail Link
West Ryde Train Station
M2 on the North Side
M4 on the South Side
West Ryde Village
Meadowbank Wharf & New Unit Development (opposite Rhodes on Parra river)

Borders Hunters Hill & Drummoyne on the East Side
Bordering Lane Cove & Longueville on the North East Side
Bordering Chatswood & Pymble on the North Side
Bordering Epping on the North West Side
Bordering Rhodes / Concord on the South Side

TMan

the knock on North Parra is probably the heavy commercial activity in the area more than the lack of transport.

Although suburbs with a train station are at a premium due to fuel prices- surely u don't need to live on top of a station to benefit. North Parra has heaps of feeder buses into the new parra interchange

I completely disagree with Terry Ryder as to suburbs to avoid.

There is a huge difference in perception of people who know an area and outsiders who look at an area purely from investment point of view.

I think the economic and demographic factors point to a future boom in areas like Parramatta and subsequently Blacktown and Bankstown. As these would become employment hubs.

Back