Taking action against unethical Agents

Have you ever taken action to report an unethical Real Estate Agent?

• Yes I report the behaviour of these agents to the appropriate bodies

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Sometimes I report these agents to appropriate bodies

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I would report them if I knew who to report them to

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • It's water under the bridge, I simply take my business elsewhere

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • I deal with them anyway - their lack of ethics works in my favour

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I haven't had to deal with an agent who might be considered unethical

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all,

For those who are interested, you'll get more results reporting an unethical agent to the Business Licencing Authority, rather than the REI.

An agent can't sell houses without a license :D

Cheers

James.

If anyone from this forum just post all the website on who to report to will be very helpful for everyone since this is a property website and i was even suprised that this is not done in the first place

Jerry Maguire said:
If anyone from this forum just post all the website on who to report to will be very helpful for everyone since this is a property website and i was even suprised that this is not done in the first place

OK you start :D

Only been on the tenant side of things when it comes to agents. I found their behaviour for the most part professional. Only came up against one that was incompetant and that came to light when I took the owner to the Tribunal as he refused to believe their accounting.

I won ...the agents sold and went into another named business (still RE as far as I know).

Couldn't say any behaviour was unethical though

likewow said:
OK you start :D

I'll start with what I know. I don't know about websites, but I know of two agencies that will take complaints.

You can report an unethical agent to:
1. The real estate institute within your state.
2. Your state real estate licensing authority. (ie Dept of Fair Trading in NSW).

Anybody know of any others?

Hi there,
I have heard of one of the three REAs in our Town doing a 'shifty' on a sale where they worked one couple to the agreed price stage awaiting the date of going unconditional, when some-one else walked in and offered $5 or 7K more as a starting bid. Apparently the REA then took the new bid to the owner and encouraged them to take the newer offer and break out of the previous contract.

Last I heard they were being taken to court. Nothing has been in print (local newspapers) and nothing came on TV so I wonder if that is more propaganda than truth! THat particular REA has currently the worst reutation in Town.

Well it appears that less than 15% of people report unethical agents & only 25% would at most. That's less than half the people who say they have encountered them (57%).

And almost as many people would happily deal with one as report them every time!

Unlike the claims of some posters that 90%+ of agents are unethical, almost half of the people responding (43%) reckon they've never even encountered an unethical agent - and that's property investors who are looking at property much more regularly than the average homebuyer!

So on that basis, I reckon any future discussions about the ethics of agents has to include whether the people putting down agents' ethics is prepared to put their money where their mouth is & take action.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Agreed Acey, well said.

Its far too easy to make broad statements when you hide behind an anonymous name on a message board. Lets get on with what this board is set out to discuss.

Aceyducey said:
Well it appears that less than 15% of people report unethical agents & only 25% would at most. That's less than half the people who say they have encountered them (57%).

And almost as many people would happily deal with one as report them every time!

Unlike the claims of some posters that 90%+ of agents are unethical, almost half of the people responding (43%) reckon they've never even encountered an unethical agent - and that's property investors who are looking at property much more regularly than the average homebuyer!

So on that basis, I reckon any future discussions about the ethics of agents has to include whether the people putting down agents' ethics is prepared to put their money where their mouth is & take action.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey
That is most reassuring. No need for the authorities to worry about minor matters like second tier marketers or dummy bidding at auctions then. :D :D
Lplate

Mitch
It was tongue in cheek.

However I'm sure that there are some buyers and vendors out there who are scallywags too. It's not unusual for people to expect an agent to be perfectly ethical in their treatment of them while at the same they expect the REA to improperly reveal something contrary to the vendor's interest. That's a bit rich, when the vendor is footing the bill.:p

From what I've been told (and read on the forum) REAs certainly have a lot to put up with from their clients, buyer and vendor alike.

However I don't think that self-regulation through 'professional ethics' is worth a tinker's damn, especially in an industry based on commissions. Equally I don't think the market will always weed out the riff raff.

It will always be a case of caveat emptor.
Lplate

My 2c worth.

I guess I was slack or lazy and definitely too busy with other things when I didn't report the agent from my previous post ( http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17077&highlight=harpic )
I wouldn't really say it was "water under the bridge" - hence I didn't vote in the poll, as I didn't feel any of the answers applied exactly.

Now we have recently managed to lose (hopefully not delete) all our old e-mail Inbox messages, so I have no details or "evidence" anyway.

Were they (the agent checked with his principal) acting inethically to accept my suggestions for performance-related commission? I didn't feel the agreement would have been against my interests. Hence I didn't feel too fired up about the apparent misdemeanour. From a personal point of view I have recently had many other higher priorities. Am I wrong about this?

Harpic

Funny thing is while consumers seem to believe the REI's are not doing anything valuable for them REA's believe they are toothless tigers also. They simply have no authority, and thats the problem. They just mediate and collect stats, assist governments in legislation etc but if you want action you must go to the Office of Fair Trading in your state. They control the licences required to operate and have the authority and means to do something about it. Doesn't mean you wil get the result you want though ;)

I am very pleased to see the result from this but would still like to see the number of happy clients around 80%. Still, far better than some would have you believe.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

I am holding out hope that the new accreditation system the REIQ has on their agenda for next year will help in some ways. As it is any agent/agency can become a REIQ member, I would like to see them carry through with their new plans. As I understand it members will have to attend regular training to be able to keep this special accreditation, its not just handed out to any and all.

Time will tell, good to hear from you again.

btw the vote is not balanced, there are 5 different ways to vote that you are unhappy with agents but only one to say you are. If I wanted to sway a vote a certain way I am sure I can come up with enough options to make it so. BUT the fact that so many "think" agents are to some extent unethical does concern me and should concern any good agent out there. Its something we all have to work on and that starts with our own offices and fans out. I am constantly pulling up other agents with their sloppy paperwork, its not that hard so why is it so.

The accreditation system begins in January but its not until Jan 2006 that it is fully implemented and the points system comes into effect. It is much the same model as NSW. My problem is, as you know David, staff go to training sessions, Principal thinks he knows everything and doesn't attend, salespeople come back to the office wanting to make a change for the better and the owner says "you don't need to do that" or "sounds great but can't afford it" and NOTHING CHANGES.

The problem in this industry is Principals. They are mostly too old, too stubborn, have no real business acumen, and are only focused on today. I know so many offices with no sales meetings, no PM meetings, no incentives for staff, lousy wages, no culture within the business, no training, no written goals, no business plan, no accountability, no effort, no dreams, and ultimately no service and no results. And for some reason consumers choose agents like shopping at a "Crazy Clarks" discount store instead of choosing an agent based on skill, service and client care. Then when the customer is disappointed every agent is a liar and a cheat when they chose a "cheap" agent and expected premium results. It's like going shopping for a new Mercedes with enough budget to buy a Commodore and expecting a car that performs like a luxury vehicle.

The industry needs to smarten up and the consumer needs to take more time and be more selective. Just because someone has more money to advertise they are "ethical" doesn't make it true. Just because someone tells you they have a 98% success rate with Auctions doesn't make it true either.

If only most consumers did half the research the people on this forum do, many agencies would never find a customer and would have no choice but to improve their standards. That's what I like about this forum, people being prepared to put in an effort to produce a result.

Hope all is well in Noosa.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Back