Tattslotto – Ever won big?

I find it interesting to learn how many people win more than one big prize. Back in the 1970s our neighbours won first prize in the casket. I think it was maybe about $7K but that was a lot of money back then. I have an idea it was about the same as my parents had paid for our house? I don't know what they did with it, had no children, didn't change anything in their lives.

About a year or three later they won a smaller prize (second or third) which was a lesser amount, but still substantial. Back then these prizes were drawn by hand from a barrel. I think someone removed numbers from a barrel like the lotto balls, but it was done by a person with officials watching, or something like that. We had a casket agency at the time but I cannot recall too much. Now it is all computer generated.

I've heard of several winners who have had two major wins and thought it would have been statistically impossible, but there you go...

I was talking to a work mate about this and he told me he knew a pair of friends whom took it in turns to buy the tickets each week and would split costs/winning. One particular week the friends ended up buying two tickets thinking it was their week to buy the ticket. That week they won division 1 twice....:D

I think lucky people win lotto. My wife spend $4 every week, buying lotto for syndicate, but they haven't won anything yet.
I tell her, "Lotto is Luck. If you are lucky, you will find a winning lotto ticket either on the floor or in the car park." But she doesn't listen to me.
I do not buy lotto. I buy IPs...........Ha Ha

$17 p/w x 52 weeks = $884 per year

$884 x 25 years = $ 22,100 + 5% CPI for tickets = $ 23,205

The price of Hope or a deposit for an IP......:confused:

or

$8 x 52 = $416/yr
Less winnings of around 20% = $332.80/yr

I know people who spend more on takeaway lunch in a month - so why not a little flutter and a dream?

Don't know that $23k will buy you much of a house deposit in 25 years time ... might just cover the solicitors bill.

Nope. Never won anything substantial - only the odd win on the Melbourne Cup :D. Actually I'm quite superstitious about it. The reason being because of the people who I do know who have won large sums of money or a house, a car, etc - they have been very UNfortunate in regards to their health or the health of their loved ones following their win. Very strange... :confused:.

Nope. Never won anything substantial - only the odd win on the Melbourne Cup :D. Actually I'm quite superstitious about it. The reason being because of the people who I do know who have won large sums of money or a house, a car, etc - they have been very UNfortunate in regards to their health or the health of their loved ones following their win. Very strange... :confused:.

A friend and i were talking only hours before this thread came up of something similar.

She had gone to the funeral of her MIL's sister a couple of weeks ago, who lost 2 sons and a DIL, to another son, in the 3 year before her death.

I know of another couple of families that have has a few members die in equally short time frames, and it prompted us to bring 'luck distribution' up.

All these families with the deaths didn't win any lotteries mind you; more a case of, how much bad luck or good can go a person/familys way.

Interestingly the 2 families I knew that had this increadible bad luck were the nicest of people, almost saintly.

Last edited:
or

$8 x 52 = $416/yr
Less winnings of around 20% = $332.80/yr

I know people who spend more on takeaway lunch in a month - so why not a little flutter and a dream?

Don't know that $23k will buy you much of a house deposit in 25 years time ... might just cover the solicitors bill.

I agree Lizzie, its a tiny amount of money each week, I don't buy lunches etc so this is my splurge.

Nothing is nicer then dreaming of winning the lotto. The things I would do...:p

The big difference between lotteries and "lotto" games is that with lotteries there is always a winner in each game. Not so with Lotto.

Old gambling saying: if you're sitting at the table and can't see the sucker, it's you.

I had a single guy friend many years ago who won big time. He came home from work and checked his ticket. Didnt think he was reading it right, so decided to wait for the guy he was boarding with to come home and check it. They both decided they couldnt be right and they would wait for the one who knows it all to arrive, yes the wife arrived and confirmed it was true. Relatives came out of the woodwork and hehad lost it all within 2 years.
Another friend won 3.2million (or 2.3 I can never remember which) Single mother battler who didnt even have a bank account and walked around with the cheque in her handbag for 3 weeks until she got up enough nerve to walk into a bank to set up a bank account. First bank teller laughed derisively at her when he had done the paperwork and asked her how much she wanted to pay in so she walked out. Next bank took her money and said she had lost $11,000in interest because of waiting 3 weeks. She walked into a car dealership to buy a brand new expensive car and no-one would serve her. Relatives came out of the woodwork including her boss who borrowed $20ks and wouldnt pay it back and a deadhead druggie brother, and a son-in-law who "invested" it all for her in property which was put in his name. Be careful what you wish for....

Both times we won, something bad happened in the world.
We won on the day John Lennon was killed.... I cant remember what happened the other time. It made it more difficult to celebrate, cause everyone was feeling sad.

I dont buy any Lotto/ Lottery tickets, but I do occassionally splash out on the RSL art union tickets. I figure that is at least doing someone else good, and its "in line" with our interest in property investing.

Parents of a friend in high school won a million ish (this was in the 90s). One of my mum's friends won a few hundred thousand (late 70s early 80s, I think).

I never buy lottery tickets because I can't stand the feeling of disappointment.

I’m guilty of wasting/gambling/investing :p $15-20 a week on an Oz lotto and Powerball tickets every week with the hope of being the 1:55,000,000 lucky person who will win the Jackpot.

Never win, only the odd $12-$13 but for my justification is somebody has to win it, people do win it and why can’t I?

I have never met anyone who has won big >1M+ but always read and hear about the stories, most of them appear to end in tears.

Has anybody won/met these 1:55,000,000 people?
I only play Oz lotto,same numbers for a very long time they were my fathers numbers just keep they alive,won several small 20 bucks and less,but about 14 years or maybe 15 ago i was working on a Comm Building in Toowoomba's Cbd,for a simple Man that was worth a massive amount,myself and my crew were staying in a Hotel just down the road from the site,that night i got 5 numbers plus the supp,rang the wife,stayed up all night walked the news agent at 5 in morning,and the payout was less then 2500 $$$,big let down..

1. A family Aunt won and frittered it away. Bought, cars, renovated house, holiday, et all, gave small gifts to kids and never let them forget. No she lives in cabin behind her daughter house.
  2. Also family member got money in will as widow and did the same. Then she attracted no hope new husband who left his job and lives off her.

Take it all and buy property I saw. I told no 2 and she ignored.

Peter 14.7

The good news is that the more you gamble, the more likely you are to win money.

The bad news is that the more you gamble, the more likely you are to lose back the money you won.

And so it went with some relatives who won the equivalent of probably 1.5M in todays dollars in the 80s. Money in, woohoo! Money gone, boohoo :( and that was that. Took them 2 years or so to blow it all.

The other person I know who won a major prize is my mother. On the day I was born, she got 7 and a bit pounds of pure awesome :D

Just found this story on scratchies... thought you might find it interesting.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/01/ff_lottery/all/1

That made me remember a party I went to years ago when someone we know won $50K from the back panel of the scratchies. I don't think they have had these bonus prizes for years now.

At this party, one lady was b!tching about how tight he already was and then he wins $50K, how it would have been better for someone who needed it to win it (like her probably :rolleyes:). She didn't know what we all knew - that the lady standing next to her was his partner, who turned and walked away - one of those really awkward moments...

Oh - yes - forgot ... about 15 years ago hubby's aunt won $50,000 on a scratchie.

B herself a new car and a caravan.

Also, as the scratchie was a gift, she gave some back to the person who gave it to her.

One of my very close friend's Dad won Tattsotto one year; right before Xmas. $850k was his share.

He didn't even know until about a week later...he was lying in bed a few days after the draw was done, reading about how someone had won $850k and not come forward to collect the prize, and thought "I'd better check my ticket".

It was terrific; he was about to retire on not a lot, and was contemplating cutting back the Golf Club membership, as well as selling the caravan he had permanently set up in a QLD caravan park. No more QLD holidays.

Now he still plays golf 3 days a week, has upgraded the caravan in QLD and spends every winter up there, and has organised a nice trust fund amount for each of the grandchildren.

Back