Tax deductions for 3 years, in 1 financial year??

Hi,

Quick question and hopefully a very easy one.. Believe it or not I didnt get quite a direct answer from my accountant.

I have never claimed interest losses whilst renting out my property for the last 3 years.

Am I able to claim interest losses from time of initially renting it out, to the present (3 years) in this current financial year??

For example, for 3 years since the tenancy agreement was signed, I have paid $57,600 interest, and received $36k in rental income.

Im guessing the difference is a 100% tax deduction??

Furthermore, can I claim depreciation, maintenance and renovation costs for the 3 years, within the one financial year??

Any other deductions I should be reminding my Accountant about?

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

No, you will have to go back and make an amendment to the tax returns you have filed for the relevant years. You can claim back up to 4 years I believe.

Luckyone is correct. Amendments need to be done, right after you find a new accountant.

I agree with you.

Not so regarding the returns as these were at the fault of mine, but more so given the fact I have to ask a general forum for the answer she should have given me then and there.

Sad state of affairs when I cant trust an accountant for advice.

(This is in no way directed as accountants as a whole, simply the individual who i dealt with and left lacking confidence)

Is there much involved in amending returns in previous years?? Is this easily done during tax time by the accountant, even if I did the eTax myself?

Easily done by accountant (they will probably want copies of the original return) or simply prepare your own amendment (call ATO to ask what format they want it in).

I used to be a tax accountant a bit over 10 years ago. There are some good ones and some very bad ones so i understand your comment.

Your question is very straight forward and any competent accountant should have answered instantly.

Back