Tech savy solicitors?

Hi all,

We're trying to put together a team to work out structural and strategy issues going forward. There's already a fair bit of complexity involved, and it is likely to get more interesting in the next few months. Discussion in our other thread, and throughout the forum, has highlighted the need to ensure that we get things right the first time.

We have an accountant, and have been in touch with our broker, but would also like to have a solicitor working with them to ensure we're not missing anything that could come back to bite us later. The accountant and broker are Melbourne based, but we're overseas.

Ideally, we need a property lawyer who is comfortable conducting conference calls and Skype meetings if necessary, to liaise with us and our team. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,

R2I

What sort of work are you actually looking for the solicitor to do? Is it general conveyancing, or is it something more?

Keep in mind that conveyancing is state specific. Also most conveyancers never actually meet their client. Most of it is done via phone, email and snail mail.

Overall though, I haven't found many solicitors to be very tech savvy, but then there's different levels of tech savvy. Most can product an online document and send it to you.

What sort of work are you actually looking for the solicitor to do? Is it general conveyancing, or is it something more?

Structure and strategy advice and implications, actually. Conveyancing isn't an issue at the moment. It may be beneficial to have someone who is at least familiar with VIC, though I don't know that they'd need to practice there for the kind of work we'll need them to do.

Hi all,

We're trying to put together a team to work out structural and strategy issues going forward. There's already a fair bit of complexity involved, and it is likely to get more interesting in the next few months. Discussion in our other thread, and throughout the forum, has highlighted the need to ensure that we get things right the first time.

We have an accountant, and have been in touch with our broker, but would also like to have a solicitor working with them to ensure we're not missing anything that could come back to bite us later. The accountant and broker are Melbourne based, but we're overseas.

Ideally, we need a property lawyer who is comfortable conducting conference calls and Skype meetings if necessary, to liaise with us and our team. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,

R2I

I recommend http://www.linkedin.com/in/russmorley I've known him for over 15 years. He is a lawyer dealing with trusts and acquisitions, and has a computer science degree so is likely savvy enough for what you're trying to do. Tell him i sent you.

Back