Temporary Floor Protection?

Does anyone have any advice on products for protecting freshly polished floor boards while renovating? I was looking into Coreflute but feel it may scratch if moved around.. Looking to cover approx 30-40sqm.

After floors are polished I will still be cutting/fitting skirting boards, painting, installing kitchen etc etc. Thanks in advance.

Hardiflex is reasonably cheap and durable, we use it often to protect a lot of forms of flooring during construction.

Comes in 3000x1200 sheets which are a good size to work with.

We use the Ram Board from Bunnings and it worked well.

Did't seem too expensive

The main idea is to do the floor polishing just about last last in the renovation.

We got the tip from "arms" who is a member here - treat the polishing like carpet. You ewouldn't lay new carpet if tradies are going to be coming and going over it for the next few weeks.

We use the Ram Board from Bunnings and it worked well.

Did't seem too expensive

The main idea is to do the floor polishing just about last last in the renovation.

We got the tip from "arms" who is a member here - treat the polishing like carpet. You ewouldn't lay new carpet if tradies are going to be coming and going over it for the next few weeks.

Hi Toni,

I was planning on having my floors sanded & polished prior to installing the new kitchen to make things easier when sanding. The other option is leave kickers off and sand polish but I can imagine the fresh new kitchen would be full of dust etc.. I also have to paint walls/ceilings which is why I was going to cover all finished floors in Ram board. Still undecided as to which way ill go.. Skirts will be fitted last after floors are done and walls painted. I will pre-prime and enamel these then touch up fixings and corners.

I guess there is no real right or wrong way!

Go carpet shop dumpster diving for carpet or underlay and lay it on the boards upside down so the soft side is on the boards. Be picky about what you choose as you want something pretty clean

Dan, sand the floor now (because it's messy and best done before cupboards go in) and put a finish coat on it later. That's what I have done a few times.
To protect it in the meantime, I have put down old bed sheets, then sometimes cheap plastic and thin ply. Kitchen companies and plywood sellers often have sheets of thin, sacrificial stuff, that they toss out.
Scott

I say go the other way - sand and polish last :)

We did up three units and "arms" from here was the kitchen guy.

On his advice we did the floor polishing last - after putting in new kitchens, painting, electricals, airconditioners, doors and bathrooms.

The flooring guys said to do the floors first - but it was definitely the right decision to do them last.

There is minimal dust and mess if you get a good sander and polisher.

The floor would have been a mess by the end of it all.

Hmmm. I have always split the task, as opposed to lumping 'sand and polish' together.

I'll be doing it that way later this year on a reno.

I reckon the sanding is easier and they do a better job (on the edges especially) if there are no cupboards in place.

Then after everything is finished, they come back and put a coating on and the skirtings and kickboards get installed.

Of course, the floor guys like to do everything at once regardless of what stage in the reno they do their bit because they don't like coming back twice.

Back