Temporary Soundproofing?

Hi all

I'm a general lurker here but appreciated all the advice that gets given out. Hoping someone can assist in my issue:

Essentially, our PPOR is a top floor 60's apartment which we love. However, we have just discovered we are expecting a baby...which is great news but due to other investments including a recent IP and other bits we will need to stay in this apartment until approx 10 months or so after the birth, at which time we'll buy a house using equity in both the properties.

We really don't want to drive the people below us to mad with a crying baby and wondering if anyone had any cheapish tips to soundproof the nursery?

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers

B

Hi all

I'm a general lurker here but appreciated all the advice that gets given out. Hoping someone can assist in my issue:

Essentially, our PPOR is a top floor 60's apartment which we love. However, we have just discovered we are expecting a baby...which is great news but due to other investments including a recent IP and other bits we will need to stay in this apartment until approx 10 months or so after the birth, at which time we'll buy a house using equity in both the properties.

We really don't want to drive the people below us to mad with a crying baby and wondering if anyone had any cheapish tips to soundproof the nursery?

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers

B

most units/apartments have concrete floors ,if yours doesnt then a soundproofing material would have been required to be in the flooring when built .i would suggest going downstairs to the neighbours and have someone in the room scream their heads off to see the level of noise that is emitted .heavy floor carpet absorbs an incredible amount of noise and an extra layer on top of any floor coverings in the room will help

the noise emitted from a crying baby (sorry to objectify your incoming bundle of joy!) is predominantly mid-high frequency so there should be very little sound travelling between floors. most of the sound leakage out of the nursery will be via the doors and windows.

my ppor is on the highway and my front door is next to the lift, and i was able to block 80% of traffic noise and lift beep sounds by upgrading and/or doubling-up the rubber door/window seals.

so rather than focus on the floor, i would suggest that you pay similar attention to the nursery door (for your own peace) and to the window seals (for your neighbour's peace) :)

There's no chance that the baby will usually be happy, and crying will be a rare thing :confused:

Who cares about the people below anyway, what are they going to do if the baby crys :confused:

Yeah, *some* babies are pretty good and don't cry much.

I have one of each. The sound got out the doors. We took to blocking her doors with old foam mattresses.

She's 2.5 and still hates sleep, is still a screamer, and is virtually impossible to settle at night - although we've got her bedtime down to before 9pm now which is quite impressive. The trick is to convince her it is bedtime so she voluntarily gets in and we get a few minutes of silence before she realises she's been tricked and starts screaming. The one who was always a good sleeper is still a good sleeper, 9 years later. When she was the little one's age she was sleeping 13-14 hours a night plus two naps while my little one is lucky to make 9-10 hours a night, no naps. Some nights *I* sleep longer than she does :eek:

My partner is an insomniac too but he doesn't stand there and shout about how tired he is each night. He codes instead.

Just thought I would add to this, little babies have little cries. It is only when they get older that they get louder and even then I have never found the neighbours to mind the baby crying (and we live extremely close - share a wall). When they are older and are toddlers and young children screaming and banging on walls you might need to reconsider - although I think the neighbours are honestly more sick of hearing ME screaming at the kids, then they are of the kids screaming themselves...

Either way If you are only planning on being there until bubs is around 10mths old, some heavy curtains would suffice for keeping sound in AND out, and have the added benefit of creating a nice darkened room for bubs to sleep in.

I have built a few sound proof(ish) rooms. These may be a bit over the top though!

Think of sound like heat because they respond to the same treatment (although a little differently). :rolleyes:

So cheap to not so cheap...
1- Trapped air is a great start so curtains and carpets will help.
2 - Air gaps are a big deal, so plug those if you can (hmm sealed room - baby - not so good...) :eek:
3 - soft conducts less than solid so put rubber pads under things to decouple from floor. More effective if you build a double layer floor separated by a layer of rubber, etc

There are a couple of options if you are up to a bit of woodworking. This fibreglass product is much cheaper than fancy acoustic treatment and is nearly as good http://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au/Products/Commerical/Acoustic-insulation.aspx

But it is fibreglass and needs to be covered. You can get a version for air-conditioning ducts that is covered but dearer. I use a sheet of ply edged with a 50mm baton, stick the fibreglass in the middle and cover with material. Lean it against the wall...

Back