Tenant can't find another home to move to after given notice to vacate

They are paying above market rental, even after renovating, I'll receive $50-$70 less a week than I do now. Because of that part of me is thinking I should extend the lease until mid-December, get the work done (if tradies are available then?) and then rent out in the peak rental month of January. The other part of my brain says get them out asap, get the work done, and get a stable family in.

You may be charging above market rent, but are the tenants actually paying it?
I thought you said they were behind in rent?

Do what is best for you.
Our motto is "tenants are only here for our convenience, and when they are not convenient, they are gone"

You may be charging above market rent, but are the tenants actually paying it?
I thought you said they were behind in rent?

I'm with Kathryn on this one - if they can't keep up to date with the rent, you don't want them.

If your employer stopped paying you, would you still go to work everyday?

These are a few of my Tenant from Hell pics, only had 2 bad ones over the 10 years I have had rentals but it never ceases to amaze me how people can live like this, let alone letting their children live like this too.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 208
OK I probably need to give a bit more info ...

I'm not the landlord in this case. I'm on the other side of the fence so this forum was probably not the ideal place to ask. My brother has been told by his PM that the owner is selling so they will be given 60 days notice to vacate.

They are definitely NOT tenants from hell, far from it. They are respectable people. He and his wife are good tenants, looks after the property, pays rent on time. They have 3 kids and a dog. He lives in a popular suburb (Melb SE suburbs) and needs a 4 bedroom home that allows pets. He is very reluculant to move too far as the kids are settled in school and one child has learning difficulties so changing schools is NOT a good idea.

We have looked online for rentals in the area and there is nothing available. The problem? Pets! There are plenty of 4 bedroom houses in the area but none allow pets. They are even willing to increase the amount of rent they pay to secure the right house but still nothing. They just want stability for their kids.

They do know they need to move, they have no intention of staying any longer than they are allowed to. Our main concern is whether we will find a house in time before the 60 days are up and just wanted to know what options we have if it got to that situation. I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Thanks

Your brother can always ask for an extension. The landlord may grant it depending on his circumstances. I understand the house is to be sold so it will probably depend on whether it needs to be sold quickly or not. Most agents I have spoken to prefer to sell an empty house so your brother may be being asked to leave to facilitate that but if that's not the case and it is already being offered for sale then you might be looking at negotiating with new owners. Either way it's worth asking the question.

Has your brother considered buying?
If he needs a deposit, and doesn't have one, are you in a position to lend him the money?

Would he want to buy the house he is living in? Could he work out a payment schedule for the deposit, and borrow the remainder?

Can you take them in until they find a new place? It's a tricky situation for them, and maybe the landlord won't mind if they stay for longer, but when it comes down to it, if it would impact the presentation, sale price, ease of access for inspections, etc., then why should the landlord be the one expected to perform a good deed? The first ones to offer charity should be family and friends.

OK I probably need to give a bit more info ...
They are definitely NOT tenants from hell, far from it. They are respectable people. He and his wife are good tenants, looks after the property, pays rent on time. They have 3 kids and a dog. He lives in a popular suburb (Melb SE suburbs) and needs a 4 bedroom home that allows pets. He is very reluculant to move too far as the kids are settled in school and one child has learning difficulties so changing schools is NOT a good idea.

We have looked online for rentals in the area and there is nothing available. The problem? Pets! There are plenty of 4 bedroom houses in the area but none allow pets. They are even willing to increase the amount of rent they pay to secure the right house but still nothing. They just want stability for their kids.

They do know they need to move, they have no intention of staying any longer than they are allowed to. Our main concern is whether we will find a house in time before the 60 days are up and just wanted to know what options we have if it got to that situation. I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Thanks

Pets are the problem. They are either donated to a good home or put down. This process takes one day max to organise. Make up whatever excuses or stories to the kids that is required to help them get over their dog. Really what other alternative do you have. Yes I know it sucks, but if the pet are the only thing stopping your brother from moving out then you have to make tough decisions like this. Don't take this personally, this is business and most landlords who have been around long enough understand the extra risks involved with pets and you will be hard pressed to compromise on this issue. No pet, suddenly you can find appropriate accommodation close to the kids school within the week. Good luck.

Last edited:
Code:
Has your brother considered buying?
If he needs a deposit, and doesn't have one, are you in a position to lend him the money?

Would he want to buy the house he is living in? Could he work out a payment schedule for the deposit, and borrow the remainder?

No - he cannot afford to buy. I cannot lend him any money as I'm using the money to buy a house (and before you ask, I am not buying them a house to live in). He does not want to buy the house he is living in, costs too much.

Code:
Can you take them in until they find a new place? It's a tricky situation for them, and maybe the landlord won't mind if they stay for longer, but when it comes down to it, if it would impact the presentation, sale price, ease of access for inspections, etc., then why should the landlord be the one expected to perform a good deed? The first ones to offer charity should be family and friends.

I cannot take them in as I live over an hour away from them which is impractical as someone will need to drive the kids to/from school. Both parents work. I live in a 3 bedroom house and I have a dog myself - will be a tight squeeze to fit in an extra 5 people + 1 dog!

It is not about doing a "good deed" or about "charity". It is about the amount of time that is given to look for a house in a TIGHT rental market. 60 days is often not enough. I've had a look on gumtree and realestate.com.au - absolutely nothing yet and time is ticking.

Thanks for your replies. I've said all I need to say on this subject. It is clear there is nothing they can do except cross their fingers, keep searching and hope a house becomes available in time.

Pretty harsh Citystar.

Pets are part of a family.
You don't kill them or throw them away when they are no longer convenient.

If necessary, you downsize your house, or move to less than desirable neighbourhood.

Eventually you find a better home.

OK one last reply ...

Code:
Pets are the problem. They are either donated to a good home or put down. This process takes one day max to organise. Make up whatever excuses or stories to the kids that is required to help them get over their dog. Really what other alternative do you have. Yes I know it sucks, but if the pet are the only thing stopping your brother from moving out then you have to make tough decisions like this. Don't take this personally, this is business and most landlords who have been around long enough understand the extra risks involved with pets and you will be hard pressed to compromise on this issue. No pet, suddenly you can find appropriate accommodation close to the kids school within the week. Good luck.

You are suggesting they kill the family dog just so they can get a house?! They've had to put a loved family pet dog down before (not for the reason of getting rental) and that is the last thing they will ever do to avoid putting the kids through it twice or lie to them.

Pets are the problem. They are either donated to a good home or put down.
OK, I've been called heartless before, but this is taking it to a whole new level.

this is business and most landlords who have been around long enough understand the extra risks involved with pets and you will be hard pressed to compromise on this issue. No pet, suddenly you can find appropriate accommodation close to the kids school within the week. Good luck.

Really?

For what it's worth, I'm a landlord & I've got multiple properties. Been doing it for a long time too. I have no problems with pets. I find you often get a better class of tenant if they are willing to go the extra yards & look after a pet. Of course, you need to ascertain what kind of people they are first, some pet owners are more feral than the pets.

To me, a pet is a part of the family, not a disposable toy. In saying that, however, if I was renting, I would not get a pet in the first place, as many inexperienced landlords don't allow them.

I'd rather a cat or a dog than a toddler any day.

I think it is written, somewhere in the tenancy laws that you can't discriminate and that a tenant is legally allowed to own a pet too. Although, you better check that one out with the Property Managers that are on the forum here. Lil, where are you???

If they have good history try applying for a place that says 'no' to pets and be upfront about the dog but negotiate some kind of condition ie more rent or a pet bond (not sure whether this is legal or not) and the LL may be more willing to take them on.

Yes, so there isn't any misunderstanding, I'm suggesting they have the family pet dog put down at the local vet. If this is the only thing stopping them from find suitable accommodation without having to sacrifice the kids being relocated to another school and everything else associated with this. If the kids are young then you can tell them Rover has gone to a farm to help out or some other story.

Yes, so there isn't any misunderstanding, I'm suggesting they have the family pet dog put down at the local vet. If this is the only thing stopping them from find suitable accommodation without having to sacrifice the kids being relocated to another school and everything else associated with this. If the kids are young then you can tell them Rover has gone to a farm to help out or some other story.

There's no kill shelters that you can re-home your family pet to (Lort Smith Animal Hospital in Melb is an example) or they look after your pet while you're unable to. This is much more humane than having your family pet killed because they no longer suit your lifestyle. Give someone else the chance of the unconditional love that a dog provides.

I don't usually say anything on controversial topics, but that is absolutely disgusting to suggest to kill a pet (no matter how "humanly") to get a house.

In Vic you cannot evict a tenant for having a pet, and for whatever it's worth I've gotten some great applicants when the ad has said "no pets" and had the landlord reconsider.

Tell your brother to look at places and apply. Be upfront about the dog, and whilst some landlords will be absolutely against it you may find a lot that will happily reconsider for a good tenant.

Back