Tenant complaining about water meter location

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this issue?

Our tenant has complained about the location of the fence that runs along the front of the property. It's a brushwood fence, so quite solid, and it's located such that the water meter is on the street side of the fence.

The tenant says someone is coming along and turning off the meter so that his water supply is disrupted. He seems to think we should have the fence moved to enclose the water meter. He has lived in the house for several years and this has only become an issue recently.

I plan to call the council to check the rules, does anyone know if in general the water meter needs to be readily accessed by the water authority, thus preventing us from enclosing it behind a solid fence? I really don't want to spend money on this, would prefer to suggest that the tenant plant some bushes around the meter to disguise it.

Tenants will complain about everything, and especially want the landlord to pay for something.
Tell them you will enclose it, but they must pay for it. That will shut them up.

Tell them you will enclose it, but they must pay for it. That will shut them up.

....or backfire completely on you.

If you have a residential Tenant that even remotely knows the law, you are up **** creek without a paddle.

Telling a Tenant they must pay for something is fraught with danger....as there is almost nothing in the RTA that compels a Tenant to pay for anything other than rent.

http://www.watercorporation.com.au/_files/Building_Services_Meter_Relocation_Options_and_Costs.pdf

The above link provides the specs in WA for water meters. The stopcock must be placed between 400mm and 800mm inside the lot boundary.

Contact Sydney Water, I am pretty sure they do a lockable shroud/cover for the mains stop tap to stop people turning the off.

How often does the meter get turned off? Daily? Every Friday night? Once in 5 years?

The meter reader will require free access to read the meter or will provide an estimate of your usage (then you have to provide the usage readings) - this is often more trouble than it is worth.

Thanks all, i hadn't heard of a lockable cover for meters - I'll contact council (we pay water rates to Wyong Council for this property) and see what the deal is.
There are high-maintenance properties, then there are high-maintenance tenants ...

Back