The pm will take care of it
You'll only have good tenants
with no need for tribunals​
What a load of crapola

Landlords, align your ducks
DD does not stop when you buy
learn the RTA, the single piece of legislation that governs your income
The IP is the most expensive item in the portfolio;
the IP the landlords propose to make $$$ from?
read the lease proposed by your pm,
correct the lease before they are implemented,
to protect the landlord
and employ every condition allowable under the RTA​
This pm-up[sup]1[/sup] cost ~$1000
how much next time?
There is already a member in another thread lamenting they can no longer obtain insurance, too many claims.

Keep your PM on a very short leash, which you can only do If you know enough to bite em in the butt, before expiry of the 10 days

definition:1. the particular stuff-up attributable to a PM not obeying published reglations of the RTA

Last edited:
dan 89...who exactly does your PM work for?...because they certainly don't have your interests covered.

Hi Kathryn,

The property WAS managed by Run which is now Little property management. Manager has changed 3 times in the last 3 years which doesnt help but overall has been ok although after mentioning I will be managing privately it seems they no longer care which is understandable I guess..

Will see what happens over the next few days.

Cheers

Hi Kathryn,

The property WAS managed by Run which is now Little property management. Manager has changed 3 times in the last 3 years which doesnt help but overall has been ok although after mentioning I will be managing privately it seems they no longer care which is understandable I guess..

Will see what happens over the next few days.

Cheers

It seems they just cost you $1000?

I would be insisting they make the application to VCAT now. Make the application under the current figures on the table and see if they then sign and return to avoid VCAT.

If they don't return the bond form for that amount then VCAT will decide upon a 'fair' amount.

It doesn't matter that you will be taking over management, they should be finalising the tenancy and doing their job properly! All they have done is if you decide to go back to a PM in the future, it won't be them !!

How so? The PM has claimed more from the bond than dan_89 would get at Tribunal. How has the PM cost him any money? :confused:
hi Perp, it was in post 19
I am also now outside of the 10 day period as discussed above.. Tenants moved out on 30th August. My new tenants moved into the property on 15th of this month therefor works were unable to be completed or even bond money agreed apon. My rental manager has never notifed me of a 10 day period and seemed reasonably confident that the bond amount would be signed and released shortly
no lodge,
no money,
PM stuff up, costs money
not knowing rta costs money
everything costs money

hi Perp, it was in post 19 no lodge,
no money,
PM stuff up, costs money
not knowing rta costs money
everything costs money
I understood the PM had lodged for $1,000 for the benchtop and $200 cleaning, and the "out of time" was with regards to dan_89 reducing his claim for the benchtop, because he's now been persuaded that $1,000 was too much to ask for.

But yes, everything costs money...

I understood the PM had lodged for $1,000 for the benchtop and $200 cleaning, and the "out of time" was with regards to dan_89 reducing his claim for the benchtop, because he's now been persuaded that $1,000 was too much to ask for.

But yes, everything costs money...

That is correct Prep. I visit the property 2 days after the tenants vacated on 30/8 to run through the condition report with my manager (I wanted to make sure it was done properly). At this point I noted the burn mark in the bench top which was agreed as not being classed "general wear and tear". Manager then asked me to obtain a quote for repair/replace came back at roughly $1800 (cabinet maker said don't bother trying to repair). This was all completed by 5/9. I then discussed with manager 5/9 who suggested applying for $1000 for damage + $200 which at the time sounded reasonable.. (at this point I was frustrated after cleaning for around 6 hours trying to remove oil etc from kitchen doors and a filthy bathroom! :mad:)

As noted earlier, after reading comments I felt this amount was slightly excessive so yesterday asked manager to reduce claim to $800 total but apparently "too late" and "the claim should be approved shortly"..

She mentioned the forms had been sent to tenant to be signed but tenant was arguing about needing to have a receipt for any works carried out.

Will let you know how I go!

As noted earlier, after reading comments I felt this amount was slightly excessive so yesterday asked manager to reduce claim to $800 total but apparently "too late" and "the claim should be approved shortly"..

She mentioned the forms had been sent to tenant to be signed but tenant was arguing about needing to have a receipt for any works carried out.

Will let you know how I go!

This whole situation is absolutely ridiculous and seems like it's been caused by an arbitrary opinion from your PM that $1,000 should be fine and to commence proceedings on that opinion.

If I were you, I would just call up the tenant myself and negotiate it out before it wastes more time and money with VCAT, your seemingly average PM, and yourself.

I was wrong,
better result that they got something in, before the cut off
would be great if they got the right numbers in
Dan_89, hope you get
the cash

Your PM sounds very inexperienced. Suggesting that amount is rediculous!

I didn't realise RUN/Little worked out Boronia way to be honest!

PM should apply to VCAT now, they can apply for an extension of time through VCAT if needed.

It's not "too late", I recently took a case to VCAT for almost $5k in unpaid rent, the tenant vacated Dec 2013 and the first application was made by me in late July 2014. I didn't manage the property at the time, but managed to win the case in full - despite the time frame. (I would not call this normal/standard and I wouldn't recommend leaving that sort of thing so long!), but it can be done!

PM should apply to VCAT now, they can apply for an extension of time through VCAT if needed.

It's not "too late", I recently took a case to VCAT for almost $5k in unpaid rent, the tenant vacated Dec 2013 and the first application was made by me in late July 2014. I didn't manage the property at the time, but managed to win the case in full - despite the time frame. (I would not call this normal/standard and I wouldn't recommend leaving that sort of thing so long!), but it can be done!
Onya, Lil! If only more landlords realised that a *realistic* PM is the best PM. Many seem to think that the PM who asks for the most is the one who's best looking after their interests, but my experience is that if you "try it on", it can backfire and you end up with nothing, because you get the Tribunal off-side and look like you're a "greedy landlord".

Going in with an understanding of your position and asking for what's reasonable, however, can often result in a much better outcome - as you've proven. Well done. :)

Having sat through a number of Tribunal hearings, my advice would be: never underestimate the importance of appearing to be the reasonable party, rather than the "party with an attitude".

Aint got no dog in the fight, my stuff is some distance outside the area under discussion so I cam make unbiased recommendations
Lil Skater is the only pm have even heard of, in 2 continents, who is full bottle and switched on. (Many pms in NS use our modded leases, very switched OFF)

Victorian SS-ers should all switch there pm agency to Lil Skaters

All these times, when certain members tell us
If you have a pm you won't get these issues,
The pm will take care of it
You'll only have good tenants
with no need for tribunals​
What a load of crapola

Landlords, align your ducks
DD does not stop when you buy
learn the RTA, the single piece of legislation that governs your income
The IP is the most expensive item in the portfolio;
the IP the landlords propose to make $$$ from?
read the lease proposed by your pm,
correct the lease before they are implemented,
to protect the landlord
and employ every condition allowable under the RTA​
This pm-up[sup]1[/sup] cost ~$1000
how much next time?
There is already a member in another thread lamenting they can no longer obtain insurance, too many claims.

Keep your PM on a very short leash, which you can only do If you know enough to bite em in the butt, before expiry of the 10 days

definition:1. the particular stuff-up attributable to a PM not obeying published reglations of the RTA

Lol are you a programmer, Loving this indentation :)

Agree with all comments here, At the end of the Day the PM is there to assist you, if you don't follow up/know what you are doing you will come out on the bottom every time.
RTA has so much info available and site seems to be getting better.

As far as I know Run/Little manage properties all over the south eastern suburbs and further out than Boronia also..

Spoke to manager earlier who said she has had the bond claim forms signed by tenants which sounds like VCAT isn't necessary and the amount is approved.. I was going to contact the tenant today to let them know I'm happy to negotiate an amount but thought id wait until the money is in my account to save the confusion. As I have mentioned, after reading the comments I feel like I am ripping them off for a reasonably minor defect therefore feel obliged to return an agreed amount.

Unfortunately it is reasonably difficult to obtain answers from my manager as she has a very strong accent and very vague with her explanations (I personally much prefer email for the paper trail although don't get responses so most conversations have been verbal). Will hopefully smooth things over and get some answers in the next few days..

Ah, I haven't seen their signs out that way is all!

If the tenant agreed, it looks like a good outcome - I'm surprised they did as many wouldn't (I sure wouldn't!). If you feel you need to return some, there's no harm in that.

I much prefer email too, it means everything is nice and clear for all involved.

Good luck!

I see RUN everywhere and have taken over a lot of managements from them. They don't manage the distance well.

Glad to see that it is hopefully a good outcome! I'm both surprised and glad but also relieved that you won't be with that PM any more. Sadly an inexperienced PM is the cheapest to hire but costs landlords and companies far, far more than the cost to hire someone with experience.

I have to second what Almost Bob said - lil Skater is great!! As a PM I have to recommend someone out of area to my landlords that have properties too far for me and she is the first person I recommend! I only ask that my landlords on here don't leave me lol!!

Well, agreed portion of bond as been approved & deposited into my account.. Now trying to figure out if I should reimburse tenants an amount so I don't feel like a greedy landlord..

At the end of the day, they damaged the bench top and left the unit unclean although the damage sustained and cleaning bill is probably not equal to the total bond deposited amount of $1150..

What would you do?

Back