Tenant horror story

My partner has had an IP for 3 years now. He has been with the same PM for the duration and has had 5 tenants.

Tenant 1 broke the clothes line, obv by swinging on it and it was bent down to teh ground. They also broke the manhole cover which enables access to the roof of the property. At final inspection the PM noted the damage but told my partner that this was 'fair wear and tear' and therefore he would have to replace it. He did so.

Tenant 2 was late on rent, constantly and had to be asked to leave.

Tenant 3 pulled all the blinds off. PM told my partner that this was also 'fair wear and tear' and that he would have to now put up curtains. He did so.

Tenant 4 broke the oven door (it is up high and it looks like someone has swung on it) and broke tiles in the shower recess. She also wanted new curtains as these weren't 'good enough' and PM told my partner to replace them. he did so. This is when I met him and started to notice taht things were a bit dicey...
This tenant would ring up weekly with complaints as varied as the front door rattles with the wind, the walls are looking murky and could do with a paint, the back door slams when it is windy and she wants a gas strut put on, and other things that I didn't think he should have to fix for her. PM told my partner he would have to do all of this for her. I told him he didn't have to and the PM backed down.

She left after 6 months and we sat down and spoke with the PM and told her that the house is only 30 years old and is in good nick and we are starting to get sick of the whinging. So before we got new tenants, we replaced the blinds, painted the whole house, made sure all the doors had new screws and steamed the carpets and put up blackout style curtains as the tenants kept complaining that there was too much light coming into the house. We also advised the PM that under no circumstances was she to keep telling the tenants that we lived next door as we were sick of them knocking on our door aksing for help.

Tenant 5 moves in. Within 2 weeks they were knocking on our door asking for things. We pretended we were just other tenants and sent them packing. Then the older couple that initially moved in disappeared and there was a youngish couple living there with their small child. We spoke to the PM about this and they said that that was normal. Their kid ran around the streets nude and we would often hear cars screeching as the kid was playing on the road. We could constantly hear the couple screaming at each other and on one occasion we had to call teh police as the level of violence was horrendous.
When their lease period was up, we spoke to the PM and told them that we no longer wished for them to stay on and we also wished to change PM as we weren't happy. They got nasty and started ignoring phone calls and wouldn't return our calls. We gave our notice period and left it at that.
A week before they were meant to leave, we contacted the PM and asked if we could be present at the final inspection. They told us that this would not be a problem.

They did not advise us when the final inspection would be. They rang us and said the house is fine, come and get the keys.
We picked up the keys, went into the property and it was trashed. The 3 wheelie bins were full and left within the property, there was rubbish all around the back of the house, there was pen marks all over the living room walls, wax stains on the walls, the carpets were stained and had not been cleaned. The shower tiles had been cracked again, the curtains were pulled off in places and stained, they hadn't cleaned a single thing. There was dust and crud everywhere. Door jams were broken where it had obviously been ripped open, things were cracked, light fittings were missing or broken and there were drill marks on the walls that were definitely not there before.

We rang the PM and told them that we would like for them to meet us at the house and do another inspection as we were not happy with the way the house was left and we wanted to see about getting some of the bond to pay for things. PM screamed and yelled at my partner, made him feel like scum for ringing and hassling and refused to come to the house again.

We rang the Principal of the RE and explained what was going on and he said he would ring back in a few mins after he spoke with his staff. He rang back and told him that his PM had told her that he had yelled and threatened and abused her and that the house was fine. He told them they would do another inspection and we would be advised when this was.

Two hours later they ring back and tell us they have just done a further final inspection and that the house is most definitely fine. We told them that we weren't advised and the PM told my partner that she was 'too scared to be in a house alone with him as she didn't know what a man like that would do to her when she is all alone.' My partner was mortified and offended and we demanded the Principal come to the house immediately. Which he did.

He then gave us this huge song and dance about how we are not entitled to anything and that he has been in the business for years and years and this house has been left ini what he considers top condition. We pointed out all the things wrong with it and the damage done and he told us that this was all wear and tear and that we just had to deal with it.

It has been nearly 2 weeks since the tenants left and we are just exhausted by it all. The prospect of going through the court system is overwhelming and time consuming and our complainnt is about the RE as much as the tenant.

So far the damage is coming up to the $1500 mark and the RE passing remark was that we should just utilise the landlords insurance.

Does anyone have any idea as to what we should do?

You need a new PM.

Find a competant PM in town , change agencies and see if that PM can give you some advise on what you can do re getting some of the bond money back.

or try ringing the department of fair trading for advice.

And you are paying a PM to do this to your property?

You live next door.Screen your own tenants, and save the PM fees.You couldn't do any worse.
You seem to have more of a "backbone" (no offence intended) to stand up to tenants.
Treat them fairly, but don't be a doormat.
You will be fine.
We have 27 units, that we self manage.We have our share of bad tenants, but they are getting fewer all the time.

Can't you take pictures, and take the PM to court as breach of contract...or something like that?

sell.

you are just another landlord paying for the lifestyle of others. They will just abuse your good nature and run off knowing that the law is on their side.

Platinum, while I have some sympathy for your situation, you really also have only yourself to blame.
Most people would have learnt to change the PM after tennant 1. You still didn't even learn after tennant 3.
Get a new PM. To be honest, your partner sounds a bit weak, to be so accepting and accomodating.

Local area

Hey Platinum . Quite obviously you should have changed agents a LONG time ago. But we all start off green and learn from there.
I live in the Shellharbour district and would be keen to know who the S--t agent was. I can already think of a few:eek:
Also i can refer you to a number of TOP agents within the area that manage my properties.

Private Mail me if you require any info or help:)

Gee Cee

Greg

I hate SLACK, Bull s-----g agents :mad:

Take lots of photos, take them to the tribunal, hopefully get the whole of the bond back, claim on insurance if you have it, and then manage the house yourself.

My parents were left with a house in a dirty mess. The photos I took were the clincher at the tribunal. A picture tells a thousand words.

The only advice I can give is the same as the others. Change PMs. If Gee Cee has a contact that is of good quality in the area, then use them. There is nothing better than a good recommendation, especially if you are green and don't know what your rights are. Unfortunately you sometimes have to learn the hard way.

My partner has had an IP for 3 years now.

I've found me a new sugar daddy:D

Seriously, like everyone else said get a new PM quick smart as this ones just taking the pi55

It also helps to step back and just play the numbers game, its a number going up in value and sometimes it goes back a bit and costs a bit.

Thats how we treat our places now anyway

Dont fall in love with them, they are just one of the tools in the box to help get towards financial freedom

Dave

I'm wondering if you're not being a wee bit melodramatic. It's possible that the property was in a terrible condition, but I'd be interested to see photos. Most of the things you mention could be quite minor, depending on your subjective assessment... Playing Devil's advocate, let me be the tenant/agent defending this:
platinum said:
We picked up the keys, went into the property and it was trashed. The 3 wheelie bins were full and left within the property
So move them outside and leave the windows open.
platinum said:
there was rubbish all around the back of the house
Does this mean a skip full of rotting garbage, or does it mean, for example, that a newspaper was left lying around and the wind blew the pieces around a bit?
platinum said:
there was pen marks all over the living room walls
I'd like to know just how extensive "all over" is in platinum's view. I have kids; I have a few pen marks myself. Yes, they shouldn't be there, but it's not that big a deal to clean them off or paint over them.
platinum said:
wax stains on the walls
This could be just a drop or two of wax... very easy to remove, platinum.
platinum said:
the carpets were stained and had not been cleaned
How "stained" is "stained", in your assessment? Was it a condition of the lease that they be professionally cleaned? If so, did they do it? If they were required to do so and didn't, I'm on your side on this one, and would be asking the agents to pay for not enforcing this requirement. If the tenants weren't required to get them cleaned, well, walking on carpets can easily create dirty areas in high-traffic areas. Getting them professionally cleaned should be a couple of hundred bucks.
platinum said:
The shower tiles had been cracked again
Unless this was malicious damage, I suspect the tiles haven't been laid on a solid base. It's pretty hard to crack shower tiles that are laid properly (assuming it wasn't malicious).
platinum said:
the curtains were pulled off in places and stained
Clean them and put them back on again. :) I assume you just mean they'd come off the little hooks at the top in places; not a big deal. Cleaning curtains isn't usually required of tenants, but I agree if the tenants had spilt something on them, they should have cleaned them. But I doubt a Tribunal would force a tenant to pay for curtains to be cleaned... they'll argue that previous tenants dirtied them.
platinum said:
they hadn't cleaned a single thing. There was dust and crud everywhere.
This is pretty subjective. There are people who would probably say this of my home immediately after I'd cleaned it. :eek: Was it like this?
platinum said:
Door jams were broken where it had obviously been ripped open
This would probably be found to be fair wear and tear, unless you have signs of crow bars or something being used to damage the jambs.
platinum said:
things were cracked, light fittings were missing or broken
What things were cracked? How many light fittings were missing, and how much would they cost to replace?
platinum said:
there were drill marks on the walls that were definitely not there before.
Putty will fix this in seconds.

Yes, a good PM might have asked the tenant to fix these things themselves, and it's a nuisance, but I have to say that nearly all the things you complain about are quite subjective and/or minor, in my view. Unless you have really staggeringly bad photos, I doubt that you'd have much luck at Tribunal.

Sorry, but I really don't think it sounds that bad. :eek: Certainly, it doesn't qualify as a "horror" story.

Ozperp, Are you serious? You sound like that's normal behavior from tenants and the PM.

That is disgusting behavior by any standards, especially the PM. Why are you defending it as acceptable. Maybe we all have different standards. :rolleyes:

I remember once on the forum you disparagingly referring to some people as 'trailer trash'. I'd say these tenants definitely fit that category. Wouldn't you? Possibly the PM as well.

Platinum, as for the bond, contact the bond board yourself. And take those scum bag tenants to the cleaners as well.

Evand,

As Ozperp said she was playing Devil's Advocate. And it is true, one person's "disgusting" is another persons "wear and tear".

My house for example is very neat and tidy with a cleaner coming in once a week and me being very tidy and clean myself to the point of where I am very particular these days, but I would bet London to a brick that my ex sister-in-law would come to my house, look around and find 50 areas of my house that she would consider dirty.

As your signature says you are a contrarian just like everybody else and Ozperp was showing a contrary view whereas you are listening to one side and have hung, drawn and quartered the tenants without even a trial:rolleyes:

That is disgusting behavior by any standards, especially the PM.
All I'm saying is that the language was subjective, and we don't have any photos, so as far as we know, the spectrum of what platinum considers "trashed" could range considerably from:

* "the bins were on a porch rather than in the wheelie bin bay" through to "three bins of rotting garbage had been left in the living room"
* "there was some newspaper blowing around on the grass" through to "the entire backyard was littered with a skip full of old car parts, domestic rubbish, dirty nappies, and filthy mattresses"
* "there were some pen marks and drops of wax on one wall" through to "every wall had been scribbled on with thick black pen, requiring the whole house to be re-painted, and the tenants had attached things to every wall using melted wax"
* "the carpets looked a bit dirty near the front door" through to "the carpets had lumps of faeces rubbed into them"
* "a couple of shower tiles were cracked" through to "the shower cubicle had been destroyed with a sledgehammer, requiring the whole thing to be re-tiled"
* "some of the curtains were off the hooks in places" through to "the curtains had been destroyed by being ripped off the rails and had been urinated on"
* "the house was a bit dusty" through to "the toilets had floaties, there was rubbish strewn on the floor in every room, every wall had to be washed from ceiling to floor to clean off food and other stains"
* "some of the door jambs had cracks around them" through to "the tenants had used a crowbar to jemmy two locked doors, destroying the door jambs"
* "some light bulbs were missing" through to "$1,000 worth of brand new light fittings had been completely removed and the wires left hanging through the holes in the ceiling"
* "two holes had been drilled in the wall" vs "the tenants had drilled 1-inch holes through the plasterboard in every room to feed a network of hydroponic tubes for their marijuana crops throughout the house"

Given that people usually tell a story from their perspective, and maximise the wrongs done to them, and that platinum didn't provide any photos, I'm just wondering if the first descriptions above aren't closer to the truth, and if that's the case, I doubt that "trashed" is an appropriate description; Brenda and Les's place was trashed. :(

If the property condition was any worse than the absolutely minimal interpretations, I agree that it's not normal, and it's not acceptable. But I am trying to encourage a bit of perspective, and cut through the emotion, because I find that I - and most people - deal with problems better with a clear head, not when angry and maximising things. The fact that either or both of PM and landlord have engaged in yelling suggests to me that this has all gotten a bit out of hand. :eek:

If the property truly is "trashed" and platinum was actually being very restrained in her descriptions, then platinum, you have my utmost sympathy. :)

My house for example is very neat and tidy with a cleaner coming in once a week and me being very tidy and clean myself to the point of where I am very particular these days, but I would bet London to a brick that my ex sister-in-law would come to my house, look around and find 50 areas of my house that she would consider dirty.

Oh that's not true Petal. I've spoken at length with your ex sister-in-law and seen the photos, I've gotta agree, that back bedroom is a right ol' mess and that's saying nothing about the laundry and bathroom arrangement. That clothes pile waiting to be ironed has been stashed there in the corner for over 3 months now.

Now go and give that kitchen, and especially that oven, a jolly good scrub down. Come and report back when it's complete, and the ex SIL and myself will come and inspect it to make sure it's done. :)

Guys,

On this forum we can only comment on the info provided at face value. If further info or pics provide contrary info, i will revise my opinion.

Until then, it sounds absolutely shocking shocking and that's my position.

I know tenant & RE/PM stories put property investing in a bad light, but its just a fact that this stuff happens. And not infrequently. No use being in denial about it by attempting to minimise it.

I've seen a few trashed houses. The other half of a duplex I lived in was filled floor-to-ceiling by the tenant in 6 months with rotting garbage, furniture and weird stuff like manniquins. Pukeworthy smell. Another tenant in the same house ripped up the driveway for no apparent reason. Same tenant ripped up the frontyard for no apparent reason and cut off the water to both sides of the duplex with a shovel ... they had to pay for both a new driveway and an emergency plumber on a Sunday afternoon.

The house we bought was clean when we got it but the bank had to replace several windows the tenants smashed so their dogs could get in and out, the carpet was soaked in dog poo and wee, there was a hole burnt through the kitchen floor and they had to remove 8 truckloads of rubbish (I'd hope those were small truckloads). The REA said the tenants were known troublemakers and while we were waiting for something at his office one day he showed us photos of our house pre-clean and several other houses that the same tenants had done the same thing to. To top it off, they consistently don't pay rent. Local property managers won't rent to them but plenty of private landlords will, apparently. Once at least.

Bit scarey, really.

Back