Tenant horror story

Oh that's not true Petal. I've spoken at length with your ex sister-in-law and seen the photos, I've gotta agree, that back bedroom is a right ol' mess and that's saying nothing about the laundry and bathroom arrangement. That clothes pile waiting to be ironed has been stashed there in the corner for over 3 months now.

Now go and give that kitchen, and especially that oven, a jolly good scrub down. Come and report back when it's complete, and the ex SIL and myself will come and inspect it to make sure it's done. :)

Sh*t Mary Sue, you have met her!!:D

I would have to agree with Ozperp that the language concerning the condition of the house is subjective and things could be either worse or better than what is portrayed, however I still agree that there does need to be a new PM. It does sound like Platinum has a lazy PM who really can't be bothered with such things like tribunals & claiming bonds when required.

A good PM will claim the bond for you immediately if there is damage done or outstanding rents. A good PM will immediately send a notice to quit as soon as the tenant has reached the required amount of time in arrears. A good PM will not bother you with petty requests, and if you are unfortunate enough to have one of those tenants, then a quick word in the PM's ear should be enough to stop these requests before they even get started.

My PM's have strict instructions that I will NOT improve the properties for the benefit of the tenants unless there is something in it for me. My properties are investments and are expected to perform as such. I am not a charity and will not pander to petty requests. I will attend to any maintenance issues promptly, but outside of that, my properties are rented AS IS. If the tenant does not like the curtains I have provided, they can provide their own, etc.

Well Said Skater.
That is how I like to run things.:)
You get sick of tenants that take a place then a few weeks later request Air Cond or Dishwasher or covered patio area , BBQ etc,etc,etc :eek:

Gee Cee

Greg

Well Said Skater.
That is how I like to run things.:)
You get sick of tenants that take a place then a few weeks later request Air Cond or Dishwasher or covered patio area , BBQ etc,etc,etc :eek:

Gee Cee

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I learnt that lesson early on, with the first property. The tenant was much better off than us financially, yet wanted us to install wardrobes, etc. I can't remember what the other requests were. We were struggling at the time and soon learnt that you don't HAVE to do what they want. The current tenant in the same house tries it on annually. You would think she would get sick of the same answer, wouldn't you, yet she doesn't move eleswhere. I think she's been there for 5 years now.:D

Have just had tenants move out from a unit of mine. Property managers are on holidays so it wasn't looking like prospective tenants would be shown the unit between 28 December and 2 January.

I used the time to clean up after previous tenants. Not too much of mess. Then I painted the entire unit over 4 day period. Prospective tenant rings buzzer at 6.00 pm one evening..property manager had indicated this guy would like to look at unit at some stage. I had been painting since 10.00 am, hadn't eaten much and had been running on V drinks trying to get the job done.

Prospective tenant says he will need to have existing cutains replaced with vertical blinds in 2 bedrooms, will need a peep hole in the front door, wife wants balcony painted and possibly wants sliding shower screen. Meanwhile one of his three kids (3 year old) within the space of 5 minutes and whilst he or his wife are watching manages to get a wet squeegee mop with strong floor cleaner on it from the kitchen and run this hard into the carpet. So hard the mop head falls to pieces and a lot of yellow marks are left in the light coloured carpet. Wife continues to screw her face up at partly completed painting...where I still had to cut in. Maybe she's never painted anything before.

I say I will probably only paint the lounge and kitchen. Prospective tenant offers to help me paint rest of unit over the next 2 days...will be at unit at 11.00 am on next 2 days.

Of course the guy doesn't show...leaving a message that he had to work.

The silly thing about all these demands is that there is a chronic shortage of rental units at this price in my area. Hate to think how the demands would have escalated if he was renting the unit. The guy was playing me for a sucker and I was too tired to tell him to p*ss off (wish I had).

Really hard to handle requests from prospective tenants when you have been working on a place all day and are tired. Makes me understand how a tradesman must feel when they are about to knock off and their work is criticised or someone haggles about price at this time.

I agree with the others and commend you on your restraint, Ajax! Since you say that rental units are in demand in your area, I'm surprised you were so tolerant. But good karma to you for keeping your cool. ;) I'm sure it'll be repaid by getting a tenant walk in on Monday who wants it just as it is, signs a 2-year lease, and offers a 10% premium to be sure they get the place. :D

I don't think I could have been so tolerant. Would probably have either told him to go jump, or agreed to the requests telling him that I would expect no less than a 2 year lease with a huge premium in the price of say, 50%, and that the extra would not be started without a signed lease and a hefty holding deposit.

Agree Skater,

I should have said you want vertical blinds..that's another $20/week. Balcony painted an extra $5/week. Peep hole in front door another $5/week. At an initial asking rent of $280/week I doubt this guy his wife and 3 kids will find any landlord wanting to let on his terms.

I have had the same situation many times.
When tenants are rare and rentals a plenty you have to be eliquent:) = Yes sir/No sir:mad:

When you hold the cards.
Nothing around to rent.
High demand of QUALITY tenants
And you have just re-painted the place you are at the top of the pack.
(New training comment from barkbusters for our 6mth old Labrador)

I would have just said put in a application and see how you go :cool:
Tenants like that think they have you by the B---s and a re a continual pain in the a---e:eek:

Gee Cee

Back