Tenant Lied on Application form!!!

Get over it! If you are going to survive as a Landlord, you have to work out what are real problems and what is just inconvenient. So they lied! So they hung pictures! So what!

Honestly, with the pictures, if they're not the peel off things, then just slap some filler on, sand & paint when they leave. Claim the Bond, claim the Insurance (if there's enough to warrant it) & just get on with it.

What will you do when they punch holes in walls, or leave a nasty German Cockroach infestation, or stop paying rent, or the kids draw all over the walls, or rip up the carpet, or paint (poorly), or scratch the floorboards, or .................you get the picture.

I completely agree with Skater. Geez some people are just not meant to own IP's. These things are so trivial. Read through some PM threads and you will see this is nothing. People like Geoff, Skater and myself plus many others here own multiple properties. God I would never sleep if I worried about a few pictures on the wall. You have to remember these people are paying a good chunk of your mortgage and they appear to have all the hallmarks of good tenants. As we all know here good tenants can be hard to find. Leave them be.

Get over it! So they lied! So they hung pictures! So what!
Unfortunately for the tenant, I trust none of them anymore
Honestly, with the pictures, if they're not the peel off things, then just slap some filler on, sand & paint when they leave. Claim the Bond, claim the Insurance (if there's enough to warrant it) & just get on with it.
I doubt insurance will ever pay on this sort of thing as its not malicious
What will you do when they punch holes in walls,
Personally I'd be cheering. :D
At least now I know insurance will cover it, my property will get a reno and the rent will be paid while it is taking place
or leave a nasty German Cockroach infestation, or stop paying rent, or the kids draw all over the walls, or rip up the carpet, or paint (poorly), or scratch the floorboards, or .................you get the picture.
All fair wear and tear and poor houskeeping that so I have been told.
Claim Rejected.

I completely agree with Skater. Geez some people are just not meant to own IP's. These things are so trivial. Read through some PM threads and you will see this is nothing. People like Geoff, Skater and myself plus many others here own multiple properties. God I would never sleep if I worried about a few pictures on the wall. You have to remember these people are paying a good chunk of your mortgage and they appear to have all the hallmarks of good tenants. As we all know here good tenants can be hard to find. Leave them be.

No, these tenants are not the definition of a good tenant.
They lie and don't follow the rules.
Tenants are not doing you a favor by renting from you.
They want, what you can supply, at a fair price..which everyone has agreed to.

Now, the tenants want to change the rules to suit them.

Is this a minor thing..maybe.
Stating he shouldn't own IPs if he is going to worry about it, may be a bit harsh.

How did you spend $1800 on a dishwasher??

I was thinking the same thing turk and was going to post but thought it was off topic.Anyhow,i would of bought 1 of ebay etc.

As to the op being lied to,it's a small sweat above the brow line to worry about.

Unfortunately for the tenant, I trust none of them anymore
LOL! Never said I TRUST tenants.

I've claimed & been successful.

No, these tenants are not the definition of a good tenant.
No, maybe not a GOOD tenant, but not a BAD one either. It's nothing I'd sweat over. I'd just let them run the course & then fix what needed doing for the next one.
They lie and don't follow the rules.
Sadly, many fall into this category, but you weigh up what you can tolerate & what you can't. If you worried over all the minor things, then you'd never develop a large portfolio.

I've got one who paints the house every year. Doesn't ask, just does it. Thankfully he's a painter, BUT he should still get permission. He also does maintenance on the place. We usually only find out during inspections. That's not following the rules, but he's a great tenant & has been there for about 10 years now. I'm happy for him to continue to improve the place.

I've also got others at the other end of the spectrum. If they're too much trouble, they get moved on. If they're good, like the above, I keep them.

about 2 weeks ago, My IP had a tiny hole about the size of a pin hole in the ceiling..

turns out it was a leaky roof,
batts got soaked,
ceiling started to bow
little hole become the size of a ping pong ball
hole was above the bed,
mattress ruined,
needed a new ceiling.

moral of the storey, dont ignore pin holes:D

They lied on the application form... maybe it's not so black and white. A lot of people won't consider themselves a smoker if they are currently trying to quit, are on and off again, are a casual smoker, smoke only when they are stressed/in a crisis, etc... Or like someone mentioned previously, maybe his just picked up the habit.

You come off as a picky landlord. I'm not saying you are, it's easy to come off the wrong way online. But that's how you've come off on here, which is why you're getting harsh replies.

I've had picky landlords before, I was apparently a terrible tenant because I drove straight into the driveway to park instead of backing in. I put a sign up for the cable internet installed pointing out the entrance so he could find it. Etc... In my opinion these sorts of landlords need to be involuntarily euthanised.

I'm wondering if you'd convince a tribunal that a picture hook or 10 is malicious damage?

Or just a function of living in a house? Normal wear and tear?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Actually it could be construed as a good thing, hanging pictures etc indicates the tenant is content and looking for a long term tenancy.

Keeping a horse in the third bedroom is a bigger problem me thinks LOL

I've claimed & been successful.
Which insurance company? Looks like I might need to change over.
Perhaps it would be worth while to install permanent picture hooks in a property?
I had done that in one of mine, recently a tenant pulled them all out and put others in where they wanted them
Actually it could be construed as a good thing, hanging pictures etc indicates the tenant is content and looking for a long term tenancy.
and we then had to evict them for not paying rent plus several other issues. So much for them being content and looking for a long term tenancy.
Insurance refused to pay for damage .

Thanks for that mate , I do have a few IP's and currently busy with another one. The thing is all the lies but you are right this small lies " look past it"

Cheers

All the lies? I thought they just said they were non smokers? Are there other lies?

As others have mentioned this may not be an actual lie, perhaps they just took it up again having quit previously.

Don't just jump to conclusions.

Seriously, it's not worth getting so upset over. With an IP you need to treat it as a business and not get so emotional. Won't do your health any good getting fired up over things so small.

Yes, they lied. Then just don't be friends with them.

Be a landlord. Get the money and go.

Treat it like a business.

This is just too small to get upset.

Was it actually the tenant? Could have been a guest they asked to go outside like a decent tenant would. Even if it is them, smoking outside is far better than smoking inside.

Picture hooks are a no brainer. I don't know why these are an issue. In my previous Ip I just sunk a couple in each room and was done with it. No fuss. No hassle.

I think you need to remember this is a business not a friendship.

If you only have a policy that only covers malicious damage then it certainly won't. Get a decent landlord insurance policy that includes Accidental Damage and it's a different matter altogether. The reality is there are far more circumstances that will be classified as "accidental" than "malicious", so you should be protected correctly.

They may have lied, but in VIC we're not even supposed to ask if a tenant is a smoker :). Some people have said that they may have quit at the time of application, casual smoker etc. So it's possible that they weren't trying to lie to you. The good thing is that they are smoking outside because it can do damage to your paint work etc.

As far as the hooks go, if they're not 3m I'd be asking the tenants to leave them when they vacate. Some tenants don't ask to install hooks simply because they don't realise they should. They have moved in and are making your house their home and settling in. I've been to tribunal over hooks before. They were installed properly and did no damage and left in place when the tenant vacated, the landlord then removed them all and filled in and painted (patches only) and tried to claim it all. It got thrown out.

Perhaps from now on make it a standard clause in the leases for all of your properties that there is to be no smoking inside the property & the tenant must ask permission to install any picture hooks?

I know that most (if not all) states have standard clauses in their leases that cover this but with it written in as a special clause it just brings the tenant's attention to it and it will stick with them.

I think your tenants have probably not tried to upset you but may be a little naive. Are you sure that the person who was smoking was one of the tenants and not a friend? Also, are you sure that both tenants said they were non-smokers on the application, perhaps one was and one wasn't?

Better that they smoke outside than repair engines in the lounge room ;).

Treat it as a learning curve, you are (by the sounds of things) very particular about how your properties are maintained both by you and your tenants ($1800 on a dishwasher!! :O, that's one good dishwasher). Cover yourself with a few extra clauses.

Perhaps you guys just got off on the wrong foot and you will find that they stay many years and are great tenants, I'd love to hear how their first inspection goes!

Thanks for that, the smoking is not the issue the thing is that they lied on there application , the way I feel is that if they lie on an application what else do they lie about? I hate tenants that lie. The tenant asked us to change the dishwasher because it was leaking at the door seal, I will not enter any of my IP's without the tenant or PM's permission.

Thanks for the info

Did you introduce yourself as the owner upon showing up to the premises or simply advise you were here to fix/replace the dishwasher?

Blikkies I really think that this is something you should let go. Tenants pay a fair rent and expect to be able to live in and enjoy their home with reasonable privacy. A few hooks are not going to do any meaningful damage. If your tenant was smoking inside the house that would be different. As someone else said you don't know if your tenant lied on the application form - they may have stopped smoking and restarted. Either way if you are taking things this personally I think you are going to have problems. I suggest that you step back a bit and try not to see things in such personal terms. A tenant is a good one if they pay their rent on time and maintain the house well. You really shouldn't care about anything beyond that.

I think to expect a tenant to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth on an application form is like expecting people to tell the whole truth on their resume, or the whole truth when applying for a loan, or the whole truth on a dating website. Few and far between, but most are only minor fabrications you would hope.

Back