Tenant not available for necessary repairs

About 2 weeks before Xmas PM told me tenant said kitchen light fitting was broken. I said to fix it ASAP.

On 9 January after body corp meeting I rang PM and asked her to get a smoke alarm installed. She said handyman should do it in 1-2 weeks. No mention was made of kitchen light.

Today (27/1) I rang PM to find out if handyman had installed smoke alarm. She said she thought so and checked with him and rang me back and said no he hadn't been able to arrange a time with tenant as tenant was too busy to arrange a time or uncontactable. Then she said the light fitting hasn't been fixed because of the same reason and she had been contacted a few times.

I said, can't you send her a letter and tell her the repairs and the smoke alarm will be done at such and such a time since she is too busy and uncontactable when she's not being too busy.

She said yes, if the tenant agrees!

Surely it's not up to the tenant to dictate when and if necessary repairs and the installation of smoke alarms are to be done? I understand it's nice to arrange a time to suit all parties but when tenant has been too busy/uncontactable to fix kitchen light and it's the law to install a smoke alarm by 1 May, I don't like the way PM is letting tenant be in charge of the situation.

Looking forward to your replies as I would like to show tenant I (and PM as extension of me) am in charge, not tenant.

And I gave tenant a little Xmas present too as she is supposed to be a "good" tenant and pays on time (except a few days late twice last year as she was "too busy"! to go to the bank) and looks after the place.

Jenny

On the Kitchen light - if they're not concerned, I wouldn't rush.
On the smoke detector - you can bet that if something happened, it'd be your fault.

On that basis, I'd advise in writing that either a mutually agreed date with them before xxxxxx, or failing that and given the safety concerns, the items will be installed on xxxxx without there presence required.

Be polite but firm.

All the best

Simon.

I'm having a similar problem with one of my tenants for some repairs- but she's never available, always out or working or just something. Very frustrating!
I've come up with an alternative suggestion, however, to my PM. As my tenant is overdue for her routine inspection (you're able to do these every quarter in NSW) the PM is going to schedule one and then arrange for the repairs to be done at the same time. Hopefully, this will finally work!

I ask tenants (in the property I self manage) to coordinate themselves with the tradesman of my choice- I don't get involved in scheduling; they are usually anxious to get the job done.

Scary, light fitting broken, no smoke alarm, definately get it all in writing today, including the previous attempts. CYA.
cheers
crest133

Back