Tenant requesting new carpet - advice please?

Tenant in one of our IP's is requesting new bedroom carpet as it 'is old, stained and smells musty and is beyond the point of cleaning'. Their words.

Carpet was cleaned prior to them moving in last November and Mr Minx and I also went in to have a look around, tidy the garden, vacuum and dust as is normal for us to do prior to a new tenancy if there is time.

The carpet IS old, I agree, but I have no memory of stains or mustiness and as I mentioned, I vacuumed it, so I think I would have noticed.

I have told our PM to refer to her initial inspection report so see if anything was noted at the time by either herself or the tenants. If nothing was, I don't feel the need to do anything. If anything was noted, I probably still don't feel the need to do anything - they rented it as was.

That's fair enough isn't it? They are not the greatest of tenants - not the worst by a long shot - just inclined to be a bit late with the rent from time to time and rather complaining.

Maybe time you repaint whole house and recarpet it as they requested.

Kick em out spend $3k on reno, relet for 20-40pw more = good return on ur money and a better tenant. sounds like a great idea. tell them considered it done :D

Agree with Nathan....though I must admit, if the inspection report shows no stains then they must have stained it...?

If so, they why couldn't you inform them that the proportion of un-fair wear & tear will be deducted from their bond.... or you advise that they will need to pay that amount related to the unfair treatment of your carpet before the new carpet goes in.....?

Either way they will realise they are part of the final result and not just the beneficiaries of open slather claims....of course this is presuming your inspection report shows unstained carpet...and depends upon the level of staining...

Just looking back at their words.....beyond cleaning......Hmmmmm...
We had tenants who I reckon thought the whole house was beyond cleaning.....it was pristine perfectly clean when they began but a pig sty when we kicked 'em out....THEY were beyond (doing) cleaning....:rolleyes:

The joys.....anyway get onto to 'em and resolve it quickly, same with every issue that crops up....;)

I think the way you see it is about right. They rented the house "as is" and unless it fits in with your plans, I wouldn't be replacing carpet on the whim of a tenant, especially one who's record is not impeccable.

Mum had new tenants going into a house yesterday. We went over on Saturday and hubby did some maintenance - new silicone between the wall tiles and the bath, that type of thing.

Hubby decided he wanted to paint the back deck railings and hand rail to freshen them up. New tenants had also asked about fly screens (sorry, NO) and was it possible for a security grill on a bedroom window or two?

Because we have security grills from our own house clogging up our garage, we spent half the day Sunday with hubby installing a grill or two in each bedroom and a couple in the living room, and doing bits and pieces to keep the house in tip-top condition. We hung new curtains in one bedroom. All this adds value to the house and keeps it in good condition, so no biggie.

Anyway, he wanted to paint the railings so I went over Monday to help him. We had quite a nice day, chatting and painting until the new tenants arrived. Very nice people but male asked hubby about fly screens. Female asked me about fly screens. We both said no and explained about pyrethrine zappers for the occasional time when mozzies are about.

She asked if the filter had been cleaned in the kitchen, and when we checked it was in pretty bad shape, so for $89 we bought a new rangehood and popped in in this morning. The timber venetian blinds in the kitchen were no longer able to be adjusted, so we popped in new slim aluminium ones.

On the surface it seemed they were very demanding, but really the items were all things that were needing repair/replacement.

I am just hoping that they are happy with what we have done (and they are - they have thanked us sincerely) and that they don't think "gee - these people are like putty in our hands" :D.

I suppose it is a fine line between being "demanding" and pointing out things that don't work. Reasonable requests are okay with me, but replacing carpet is possibly stretching it a bit ;).

Thanks for the responses.

At some point the things that 'need' doing to the place are new blinds and some new guttering at the front. Both are on the maintenance budget for this financial year. The carpet wasn't as I don't remember noticing that there was anything wrong with it.

The lease ends in November this year - whether they re-new or not, these will be done at that point (if they don't renew I'll also paint through between tenants). Will also put the rent up by $10-15 per week at the same time as that will be the new going rate.

The carpet IS oldish, but neither stained nor musty that I remember and was certainly not on my radar.

Just an update on this.

PM has an inspection booked for the 20th of August so is going to investigate at the point the state of the carpet.

I have asked her to refer to the initial inspection report prior to her inspection, though I have a suspicion that the initial report was not too detailed as the PM has ignored me (twice) when I asked her to tell me what was on the initial report! :mad:

Anyway, I'll know more then so will update when I hear from her.

I would also check your records to see how old the carpets are.

We had "old" bedroom carpets in one IP, there when we bought it. We knew they would have to be renewed some time, but weren't too concerned. For the last two years we have offered to replace the carpets in return for an $10 per week rent increase, but each time the tenant said they would take the carpets "as is".

However, we did our annual inspection last year with the PM, and were horrified to see actual HOLES in the carpet in one bedroom. Imagine our liability if the tenant had tripped and injured themselves - but to be fair they hadn't complained. We immediately ordered replacement carpets for the 3 bedrooms.

But on the other hand, 3 of the bedrooms in our PPOR have the original carpets that were here when we bougt the house new in 1979!! 30 years old and still perfectly good, but a little dated. We replaced the main bedroom as it is separate at the back of the house, but the other bedrooms are fine.

So have a good look at the carpets and consider objectively whether replacement is warranted or not.
Marg

I would also check your records to see how old the carpets are.

Marg

Marg, I have no accurate idea as to the age of the carpets. They were down when we purchased. The colours/style suggest early 90's, so they are indeed quite old.

There weren't any rips or tears or anything to note about wear. I also don't remember any stains, except for what looks like a spilt drink near the breakfast bar, though that came up much better after the clean before they moved in.

We shall see what my PM says later this week.

Sounds like something is leaking to cause mustiness.

PM needs to find the source of the smell. Maybe carpet became damp from a window left open or even a leaking shower if it is on the other side of the bedroom wall. She needs to ensure thew mustiness is coming from the carpet and not their possessions. Hate to be gross, but it might be their mattress or something, or they've spilt something under the bed onto the carpet.

If if is their fault then they clean the carpet. If mustiness is caused by wear and tear to the plumbing,(like a leak from a pipe in the wall) then cleaning the carpet will suffice until you want to replace it.

Sounds like something is leaking to cause mustiness.

Yes, my thoughts too Tizzy. Bedroom doesn't have a connecting wall with the laundry, kitchen or bathroom and there is no ceiling leak or anything like that. I was discussing this with the PM prior to her visit tomorrow for the inspection and she advised that on several occasions that she has gone there to check on other matters that they have had the dogs inside - they have two poodles. There ends that discussion. No new carpet whilst the tenant has dogs inside, they can get it cleaned as is their obligation.

They submitted a new list of problems today. Blinds, oven ignition not working, carpet (again), taps, skylight is dirty, etc, etc. AND had the cheek to state on the bottom of the email that the landlord 'must be aware' that 'maintenance is their concern'.

I am perfectly aware of my obligations, thank you. All genuine maintenance issues are attended to as soon as I can get a tradesman there. GRRRRR. Probably not the smartest thing to 'p' me off when they are asking for a new stove, new blinds and new carpet!:mad:

LOL! I just love the things some tenants try to get away with. One of our IP's has a pool (I know, don't buy IP's with pools - it was to be the PPOR), anyway, I just got the inspection report today with a request from the tenant for us to reimburse him around $550 for pool cleaning. What the!! He has been there for 3 years. If the pool needs cleaning, then it's his responsibility. He can pay for it.

I just heard from the PM following her inspection.

I think these tenants do her head in as much as they do mine, she sounded a bit fed up.

The carpets are fine, just need a clean. The bedroom carpet IS old style and is a bit grubby around the bed. NO stains or smell that she could determine. The dog (only 1 left) was inside.

I will however get them a new gas stove (hard to light and quite old) and the new blinds that I intended to do anyway - should be able to do both for under $1000 if I shop around.

One of the other complaints was that the skylight was dirty and not letting in light. Our PM cleaned it for them while she was there and found that a previous tenant had cut a piece of cardboard to fit under the ceiling panel (probably in summer when it was hot), so that was easily removed and fixed. (I'm sure the next thing will be that it's too bright).

The house - apart from the grubby carpet - was spotless. :)

I just heard from the PM following her inspection.

I think these tenants do her head in as much as they do mine, she sounded a bit fed up.

The carpets are fine, just need a clean. The bedroom carpet IS old style and is a bit grubby around the bed. NO stains or smell that she could determine. The dog (only 1 left) was inside.

I will however get them a new gas stove (hard to light and quite old) and the new blinds that I intended to do anyway - should be able to do both for under $1000 if I shop around.

One of the other complaints was that the skylight was dirty and not letting in light. Our PM cleaned it for them while she was there and found that a previous tenant had cut a piece of cardboard to fit under the ceiling panel (probably in summer when it was hot), so that was easily removed and fixed. (I'm sure the next thing will be that it's too bright).

The house - apart from the grubby carpet - was spotless. :)

You could probably get the gas stove fixed for a fraction of the price of a new one. If it were me, I would be doing that instead.

Boods

You could probably get the gas stove fixed for a fraction of the price of a new one. If it were me, I would be doing that instead.

Boods

Thanks Boods. Yep I know what you mean. The reason that I thought a new one would be the way to go:
a) it looks about 10+ years old
b) numbers and little mark that show when oven is off have worn away, hence maybe a danger as gas could be left on
c) shut the tenant up. :rolleyes:

but don't worry, if I can't find what I want for a good price, I'll certainly reconsider.

My mum went through this about a month ago at an IP. The old gas stove knobs were so worn that the gas was "on" without the tenants knowing. I priced new knobs and I think they were about $170 for a full new set.

Mum decided to bite the bullet and get a brand new gas upright. It is just as ugly as the one it replaced, but it does the job and I think cost about $600.

Sometimes fixing them just isn't worth it, especially if they are of a certain age.

My mum went through this about a month ago at an IP. The old gas stove knobs were so worn that the gas was "on" without the tenants knowing. I priced new knobs and I think they were about $170 for a full new set.

Mum decided to bite the bullet and get a brand new gas upright. It is just as ugly as the one it replaced, but it does the job and I think cost about $600.

Sometimes fixing them just isn't worth it, especially if they are of a certain age.

$600 sounds about right Wylie, that's what I'm seeing too.

We had an old upright before we renovated our own kitchen. It cost me about $140 to get the guy through the door (plus parts) to keep that one going - and that was going back about 6 years. Things aren't made to last forever any more!

Back