Tenant running child care

During a recent property inspection I learned that my tenant is providing child care on a regular basis at my property. She has given up her office job for family reasons and needs the income.

My property is in the ACT. I have looked through the ACT Residential Tenancies ACT and could not find a reference to this. I
also phoned the Real Estate Institute of ACT and was told that there is nothing specific in the Act.

My public liability insurance does not cover this activity.

My tenant has begun offering this service without my permission. I told her that my insurance did not cover it and she said that she would obtain insurance but I'm not sure that I feel comfortable with this.

What should I do?

Kris

Hi Kristal,

Some questions I would ask you are:

Did you have the tenant sign a lease agreement?
Is there a bond in place? If so, has it been lodged with the authorities?

Glenn

Glen
Yes. The tenant has signed a lease agreement and Yes the tenant paid bond and I lodged it with the ACT Office of Rental Bonds.

Kris

childcare centre?

Also, does your tenant have development consent to opperate a chaiuldcare centre at your IP. Chances are the answer to that is "NO". She would need to be approved and the lease would have to allow for the use of the site as a childcare centre.

If you want to get her out, this can be used as leverage.

Savanna

Krystal

After viewing these posts it seems to me that your concerns here are not that the tenant is working from home, but that you could be implicated in an insurance claim if one of the children were injured.

Is that right?

In Victoria, a facility does not have to be registered under the Children's Services regulations until more than four children under the age of five are cared for on the premises. Hence, the Family Day Care services administered by local municipalities limit the number to four, including the carer's own children.

Is the property 'generally' safe for children? Obviously yes, or else you would not have allowed a tenant with children to take up residence. In Victoria, under the RTA, a landlord can prohibit children (under 16 years) from occupying a premises if it is considered that it is not suitable for children, usually on the basis of the safety of the premises.

You could arrange a supplementary clause to the lease - written by your solicitor at the tenant's expense - stating that the tenant takes full responsibility for all commercial activities at the property and indemnifies you against any claim which may be made, but before implementing such a clause, the property would have to be inspected by you, the tenant and preferably an adviser from Children's Services Dept and any defects in the property eg latches below regulation height or whatever, noted or attended to.

Alternatively, the tenant may go to the other house, and care for the children at their own home, relieving you of any responsibility in the matter.

There will be a Tenants' Union in ACT. As this will not be a 'one off' case, why not discuss the matter with them? If the tenant has been reliable up till now, it would be a shame to throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak!

In the meantime, ask the tenant for a letter describing in detail what they are doing and indemnifying you from any liability in the matter. If push came to shove, the letter would be worth diddlysquat, but at least you would then have a full written description of what was happening.

On the tax / fee for service scenario, the tenant should be registered as a 'carer' with a registered number with the tax office, issue the customer receipts, and the customer can then claim the cost of child care against thesubsidy scheme.

If this activity is happening, insist that it meets all requirements, including tax, compliance with any health regulations, insurance etc.

As a landlord, should any misfortune occur, it would be considered that you know, or should have known, what was happening at your property, and that your silence gave consent.

While all sympathy is with your tenant and her sick child, the buck does indeed stop with you, and it is your responsibility to yourself and your family to make sure that you are protected against the well meaning but perhaps misplaced actions of another.

Cheers

Kristine

Thanks to all for your replies.

Kristine – your post was most helpful – and yes – a possible insurance claim is the biggest concern here. But how do you insure yourself against things that you may not be aware of?

Kris

G'day Krystal

Yep, it's a Catch 22 situation.

If you don't know, but 'should' have known, you are considered to be legally 'involved' in the situation.

As an owner who manages the property themselves, the onus is probably higher than if the property was managed through a registered agent, who collected the rent 'at arm's length' and inspected the property by apointment at set intervals.

As with all matters which involve a third party and potential vicarious liability for their actions, the best defense is probably

1. Well kept and detailed records of all conversations, inspections, etc in file notes or a general diary

2. Orderly file records of correspondence, official forms, receipts etc

3. Accurate and comprehensive leases

4. Comprehensive insurance

5. Regular property inspections with documented follow up of maintenance items.

Krystal, there's many a landlord who did everything possible to ensure a trouble free tenancy, but who later found tell-tale circular rings and water damage on the carpet in the wardrobes.

Did they know the tenant was growing 'vegetables' on the premises? Are they implicated in that activity?

Once you know, you are involved whether you like it or not.

If you decide that you will rely on your Clause prohibiting the use of the property for any other than residential purposes, then immediately issue the tenant with formal notice to quit commercial activity of any sort and to provide you with an affadavit that they have done so. Set a reasonable time limit eg 7 days for them to comply. If they fail to do so, they will then be in breach of a lawful instruction and you could then take them to the ACT version of the Tribunal to enforce your direction.

It all sounds like being a nasty pasty, but they have broken the deal, not you, and they have implicated you in a potentially serious situation because of their illicit action.

I would be interested how you decide to resolve this. It's obviously caused you concern and you remain uneasy about it. Go with your instincts. I recently overrode my instincts that there was 'something wrong' and now I'm having to pursue criminal charges against fraud, when if I'd taken a stand early on the situation could have been contained to nuisance level.

good luck

Kristine

Kristine
Again your post is enormously helpful.
It makes me wonder about the merits of having a Property Manager as it may in fact provide another line of defense.
Thanks for your input.
Krystal

Back