Tenant VS Agent

The other day a landlord explained to me that he wanted to change managers as the agent has upset the tenant, tis a commercial property.

Getting to the point the landlord conveyed what i understood to be the agent enforcing the terms of the lease. So I spent last night asking myself, why would a landlord fire their agent for enforcing the lease?

Granted this is a big deal for the landlord as the tenant pays a 6 figure rental and the property is located in a rural area but it got me thinking, what is more important. The tenant meeting their obligations or the tenant being "happy".

Just so we understand, the terms of a commercial lease are not those that most tenants are "happy" with.

An open line of communication with the landlord is important so this is another reason why I am getting the management. I am pretty black and white with tenants and this does upset them from time to time.

So my question to other forum users is, where would you (as a landlord) draw the line?

Its a case by case basis for me, especially since I work in a dispute resolution field.

To blindly sit on your absolute legal rights can be enormously stupid for a landlord, or any party in a contractual relationship for that matter. Its just as bad as being a pushover and not enforcing anything at all.

Managing the actual relationship is something that is very important in being a landlord, and so I can understand a landlord getting rid of a property manager - especially if the manager is not doing what the landlord wants.

At the end of the day, the PM works as an agent for the landlord.

Interesting take on this,

There are some items that can be mutually resolved, despite what the lease says. There are others that shouldn't i.e. payment of the rent on time.

The tenant meeting their obligations or the tenant being "happy".

It's a 2 way street,when you look up on "WHOS" name is on the title deed
and anyone can these days very quickly in black and white,,and both sign the lease contract then the line draw in the sand for me is when the rent falls behind over 4 weeks,it never a matter of being happy it's about standing up to your part of the contract,and your personal understanding
of the wording..imho..btw anyone would get a real face to face shock in Brisbane with all the for lease signs that are out there and sit there for over 9 months until the sign fades to grey..

I can understand a landlord getting rid of a property manager - especially if the manager is not doing what the landlord wants.

At the end of the day, the PM works as an agent for the landlord.

No matter if the agent is 'right' if it is not what the 'boss' wants then the agent is wrong.

Back