Tenant wanting to do Day Care

Howdy folks,
Has anyone had tenants that are, or wish to be, Family Day Care carers?
Our tenant has asked us if they could do this and we are interested to hear any comments about this.
We have told the tenant to put all relevant information together and present it to us for consideration.

So far we found that the service is regulated by the State (NSW)under the Dept. Community Services and that all carers are required to maintain a Family Day Care Public Liability Insurance Policy which combines cover for public liability, product liability, property owners liability and professional indemnity.

The property must comply with certain criteria and the prospective carer assesed bafore registration.

Another requirement is that numbers of children they can have on the premises are 7 under 12 yrs including no more than 5 under school age - this includes the carers own children (our tenant has one aprox 2yrs old).

Thoughts and past experiences welcomed please.

Regards,
Thorpey.

Dear Thorpey,

An interesting proposition.

Pros:
-Child care is certainly a growing industry. The 10th of October edition of BRW had a large article about the successful stock market listings of a couple of the major players.
(If you are a subscriber link to following article.)
http://www.brw.com.au/stories/20021010/16522.asp
-A successful home business may increase stability in the short-term.
-May be an opportunity for you to increase rent and effective yield on the property.

Cons:
-Definitely more wear and tear on the property.
-More risks for you in terms of public liability insurance and possible maintenance. (Is the property really safe and up to scratch?)
-If it becomes very successful at some point in time it will have to move. Or is it an additional risk? (80% of all businesses fail in the first 5 years.) Do the tenants have an additional source of income apart from this?
-A commercial operation with none of the benefits of a commercial lease agreement. (Should you explore looking at changing this to a commercial lease agreement?)

Other questions:
-What changes are going to be made to the property? (Can you control this? How will this affect it's rentability for future tenants?)
-Are there going to be complaints from neighbouring tenants due to the noise and additional car activity? (Does it require additional parking?)
-Are signs on the property going to advertise the child care service?
-How are the tenants going to generate new business? (Childcare customers do grow up. So new streams of customers are important.)
-What is in it for you?

(Council I have found typically turns a blind eye unless it is very public or actually annoys neighbours with noise levels etc.)

Again many people run business's from home without you being aware of it existing. It is a good sign that this tenant has proactively and openly approached yourself with regards to this.

Good to see that you have asked for some type of proposal.

Then again if it is only taking care of a maximum of one family then the circumstances could be slightly different.

Let us know what type of further info you get from the tenant.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Thorpey

Have been following this fabulous Forum for 12months & now seems a good time to jump in

I have been a FDCCarer for 6 years, 2 years ago built a newhome and now rent the IP to FDCC's.

All Carers go threw a riguress proccess of Interviews and Training courses and are monitored very closely by Coordinators, they make regular home visits to complete checks on safety, cleanliness and relevant regulations.

Carers are generally only accepted if there is ongoing work for them. Your Tenant would be offered new clients as the need arises by the coordination unit that parents apply to.

# Parking and 'street room' eg coldersacs can be a drama.
Our Council is extremely supportive actually being our sponsor.

In it for you is a clean well kept property with the rent being payed - all going well -

Can you tell Im pro FDC but as yet have had no problems

Hope this helps Kj
(Is there any way I can spellcheck?)

Originally posted by KJ#
(Is there any way I can spellcheck?)

Use ms word or similar and copy and paste.

There is a daycare centre opening in the old school across the road from me. Someone must be expecting a baby boom for the area. In contrast developers want to build a retirement village where I am...........there valuer started off on the wrong foot by making a below market offer and not doing his research properly. I should have a fun week lol

Off the topic... sorry...

QUOTE](Is there any way I can spellcheck?) [/QUOTE]

A spellchecker can only do SO much. I wouldn't worry too much though. People rely on spellcheckers now, and there's more mistakes than there 20 years ago when secretaries checked bosses' work. You can make mistakes in here, and people know what you mean. :

--| The Spellchecker Song |---

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,