Tenant wants to plant fruit trees!

The Tenant wants to plant fruit tress at his own expense along the side and back border of the property.

The thing is, I will eventually build on this land and will then need to remove these trees (min 3 years away, could be much longer though). Yet I want to keep my tenant happy and long term!

Thoughts?

I'd allow it. They're much more likely to stay if they can have their little victories along the way.

I doubt it'd cost you much to remove when it comes time to demolish and develop. Whole site clear will cost you $X and i doubt that'd change any/much.

Keep the tenant happy and let them plant them at their own expense. Doesn't take much to remove a couple of trees a few years down the track.

I would allow. If you have an idea of your future footprint, can you encourage them to plant the trees where it would suit you. It might end up a win/win.

Personally, I'd take a different view than expressed so far. It sounds like your tenant is happy and planning to stay. Fruit trees are a significant investment $wise and a lot of work to grow to fruiting stage.

If you know you'll need to pull them up in 3 years, I'd be letting the tenant know of your plans - maybe they can be planted where you don't need to pull them out for your future development?

I understand the desire not to tell your tenant, so you keep them happy but put yourself in their shoes for a moment.

I dont believe fruit trees grow very quickly in 2-3 years therefore to keep them happy you should say yes. It also may keep them there until you are ready to pull down.

Tenant wants to plant fruit trees

Suggest that the trees be planted in containers then the tenants could take the trees with them when they leave. They will not grow that much in 3 years.

All great advice everyone! Thank you.

I like to be a nice landlord, so I will tell them that I have plans to build, whether that be in 3 or 10 or 20 years!

Oh boy!!!!! That is a crazy fruit tree car park!

In other news, every year I watch the Brownlow. Every year, I ask myself WHY I watch it draaagggg onnnnnn. C'mon Selwood!!

Generally I like to keep tenants happy and it depends on the species of plant but the roots of a mango tree are far reaching and will be damaging your slab long after tenant has vacated.

Generally I like to keep tenants happy and it depends on the species of plant but the roots of a mango tree are far reaching and will be damaging your slab long after tenant has vacated.

If a tenant could make a mango tree grow in Victoria or Tasmania to the point the root was going to be an issue, I want to talk to them! :D

The Y-man

Unfortunately I have a tenant that has done the opposite ... he has cut down every tree in the back garden and put in a fire pit and is now using the cut down trees as firewood!!!!

:eek:

Chris

Unfortunately I have a tenant that has done the opposite ... he has cut down every tree in the back garden and put in a fire pit and is now using the cut down trees as firewood!!!!

:eek:

Chris

How frustrating! I hope he's willing to pay for mature replacement trees

I don't agree with telling them about developing later on. It's so far away it's not worth opening up a possible can of worms.

I think you should allow the fruit trees, I've got a couple at my house, they are not that big. Surely they would be VERY easy to get rid off. You could get them to sign an agreement that when they leave if you want them removed they pay half the removal costs.

Back