Tenants Break Sink?

So the tenants have moved out & it's noticed at final inspection that there is a crack right down the bathroom sink. This is one of the modern round counter-top sinks that sits on top of the vanity unit. How this happened who knows but there is a mirrored cabinet on the wall & perhaps the tenant climbed onto the sink to put something on top of the cabinet(?).
This is not the easiest thing to replace but it must be done (higher end property).

So what happens now? I have insurance of course, but isn't this what the tenants' bond is for? Won't the insurer (CGU in this case) expect the PM to get the money out of the bond in the first instance?

the other common one is the ol' dropping of the hair dryer, tho it shouldn't crack the sink.

EOD you have no proof and the tenant will just say it was already cracked. It's too hard to pursue so you will just need to pay for it. It's tax deductible and think of the bigger picture... you probably just lost a few hours of capital growth.

Do you have photographs of the property prior to entrance of the tenants? Shouldn't you at least have a co-signed paper documenting the condition of all fixtures and fittings at the start of the lease? These should provide the proof you need.

I'm not an expert, but I would have expected the above to cover the replacement of the sink. Given that it sounds like a relatively new sink, I don't think the damag can be attributed to normal wear and tear".

What about claiming on your contents insurance? Check your policy but many will cover a break like this. (depends on the cost of replacement and your excess of course)

I agree, craigb. These tenants had rented through this PM before & if they left the last place like this one I don't know why they were recommended... Gives you the $h!ts when they're in a million $ property.
I would think that this sink would be bloody hard to break - without, say, the weight of a person on it (the mind boggles).

Zeddy, I should have mentioned that there is a condition report etc showing no broken sink at the start of the tenancy so they can't claim it was already like that.

When you guys work out how to be a landlord without tenants, let me know. :D

The only thing I've seen close to it is the "Yes, Minister" episode where the empty hospital wins the "Most Efficient" award. That's the public service taken to extremes, but we live in the real world.

I was staying in the Rydges in Melbourne for work last year. I knocked a glass off the shelf when putting another one back, the glass falls and lands on this sink - cracking the hell out of it.. a chunk flew off onto the floor, and the rest was "splintered" ! I **** myself ! Waited till the morning & told them as I was leaving, they laughed it off and moved me to a new room.

Zeddy, I should have mentioned that there is a condition report etc showing no broken sink at the start of the tenancy so they can't claim it was already like that.

If that's the case, I don't understand - why can't you ask them to pay to replace it?

since your PM have photos to proof that it wasn't broken prior, then the repair/replacement will come out of the bond money
  • PM should call plumber/trade person to have it looked at & quoted for repair or replacement (paid by bond money)
  • If not enough, then claim insurance for remainder (most insurance have access on this... mine's $100 so it really depends if its worth it to go down this path)

I'm assuming the tenants didn't maliciously damage the rest of the property, else the access on the insurance claim is going to be large (mine is $500) different insurers will have a different access for malicious damage.

Hope This Helps

I'm assuming the tenants didn't maliciously damage the rest of the property

...and I'm assuming that they paid rent right up to the end of their Lease, and didn't decide to call it stumps 4 weeks prior to leaving.

Just how far is this piddly little 4 week Bond that you've got to pleas with some Govt dept meant to stretch out ?? Of course, you need the Tenant's signature and agree-ance, else you won't see a dime of the Bond.....without ol' buggerlugs the Mag agreeing with your argument.....good luck with that.

Back