Tenants - drugs and alcohol

Units lived in by druggies and alcoholics can be very disgusting. The worst one though--and this happened to my dad--was that the authorities found out that one of his units was being used to store dead bodies and then ready them for burial purposes. Imagine all those bodily fluids going down our drains. Yuk.

I'd love to hear more about this. Who was storing the bodies? How were they storing them? Didn't the place smell? The mid boggles :eek:

Curious on other landlords views.

Does it concern you if your tenant uses drugs or alcohol?

Eg. PM does inspection 9.00 am - Tenants drinking

drinking wouldn't bother me. i used to drink at what people would say are ridiculous hours as i was a shift worker so your 9am Wednesday could easily be my 5pm friday

I'd love to hear more about this. Who was storing the bodies? How were they storing them? Didn't the place smell? The mid boggles :eek:

I know; I was so curious when I found this out but I don't know too much myself. I am not even sure how the authorities found out-whether people complained of smell or whether there were too many comings and goings. I saw the letter from the council to my dad notifying him that they had found out what the unit was being used for and the regulations relating to keeping dead bodies in homes.

Basically, the unit was being run as a morgue, but with inhabitants. I don't know what culture or nationality they were, but obviously their way of preparing the dead was different to ours (or it was cheaper to get a 'mate' to do it), so they felt a need to set up shop somewhere, and I would hazard a guess that the tenant just happened to be someone in their community who knew how to prepare bodies.

Apparently, morgues need special drains into which blood and other bodily fluids can pass into (that's what the letter said anyway) as when you die you start to leak from your orifices. Obviously, a residential unit would not have those facilities and it would be very unsanitary. I have no idea how long they stored the bodies and how many there were, but wouldn't want to be going there for a sleepover.

There is a clause somewhere in N.S.W. Resi Lease, which sounds a bit like

The tenant agrees not to do anything illegal.. etc etc.

I cant see that there is any room for interpretation on that one.

I hope this helps

Cheers Seaford Sunshine

The clause is to not use the premises for an illegal purpose.

And there's plenty of room for interpretation in it actually - nice body of case law on that one.

The exact drug in question is vital to this topic. The blanket term "drug" being cast over dozens (or hundreds) of substances is the wrong way to discuss them, as each have their own unique properties, affects and legal status.

Some are insidious, devastating, addictive and expensive. Others are the polar opposite.

If I had tenants smoking methamphetamine at 9am, or shooting up heroin, I'd have a concern.

If I had an alcoholic tenant, I might be concerned.

If I had a tenant who enjoyed a frequent joint, occasionally dropped acid or enjoyed the odd handful of mushrooms etc, I say go for it.

The exact drug in question is vital to this topic. The blanket term "drug" being cast over dozens (or hundreds) of substances is the wrong way to discuss them, as each have their own unique properties, affects and legal status.

Some are insidious, devastating, addictive and expensive. Others are the polar opposite.

If I had tenants smoking methamphetamine at 9am, or shooting up heroin, I'd have a concern.

If I had an alcoholic tenant, I might be concerned.

If I had a tenant who enjoyed a frequent joint, occasionally dropped acid or enjoyed the odd handful of mushrooms etc, I say go for it.

In many ways what you permit from a tenant, shows a lot about the LL.

In many ways what you permit from a tenant, shows a lot about the LL.

Open mindedness, for one thing.

I have friends that use drugs recreationally and still manage to excel as humans.

I have other friends that are clean as a whistle comparatively and I wouldn't trust them with a rental property.

It comes down to the person, not the substance.

Open mindedness, for one thing.

I have friends that use drugs recreationally and still manage to excel as humans.

I have other friends that are clean as a whistle comparatively and I wouldn't trust them with a rental property.

Yuuuuuuuuuup

Good, now I know there's somewhere they can go when I say no.
What might be acceptable my past or in an acquaintance isn't necessarily acceptable in a property. For one thing, where and when do they find the motivation and energy to do the housework?
On the other hand, I've heard of glamour, front cover celebrities who live in filfth - or they would, if they didn't have a cleaner.
Your inner-city types might have cleaners so it might help with bad habits.
The other thing I don't want is heaps of visitors sitting around smoking.
No smoking in my properties. That says it all.
However, if someone needed marijuana for medical purposes, that's a different kettle of fish.

For me, there is one determinant: functionality. If the drug taking/alcohol affects the tenant's ability to function to the extent that the house is not cleaned and they are not able to pay the rent, then I don't want it/them. If, on the other hand, if the drug taking doesn't affect the tenant's functioning capacity, and they maintain the property and the rent is paid on time, I'm okay with it. I have to say that I am very against drugs though.

For me, there is one determinant: functionality. If the drug taking/alcohol affects the tenant's ability to function to the extent that the house is not cleaned and they are not able to pay the rent, then I don't want it/them. If, on the other hand, if the drug taking doesn't affect the tenant's functioning capacity, and they maintain the property and the rent is paid on time, I'm okay with it. I have to say that I am very against drugs though.

If the tenant can't put the bong in a cupboard for inspections then they're probably not functioning too well.

Curious on other landlords views.

Does it concern you if your tenant uses drugs or alcohol?

Eg. PM does inspection 9.00 am - Tenants drinking or drugs sited.

I'm fairly uncomfortable with tenants using drugs as I feel it could become a downward spiral and lead to financial issues/social problems/damage to property.

If they're not smart enough to hide evidence of illicit activity, that's my real concern... they clearly don't respect their freedom enough, probably don't respect my place. If I saw a tenant out in a nightclub clearly affected, but the house was always clean etc., meh drive on.

It wasn't our tenant but we were looking at a development site that that had a house on it, half was occupied by the owner and the other half by some problem tenants who by all accounts were drug dealers and users. We put in an offer and missed out even though we were the highest bidder. Two weeks later one of the tenants in some sort of stupor decided it would be funny to light a fire under the bedroom of one of his housemates as he slept. Needless to say the house burnt to the ground. The purchaser pulled out of the contract and we ended up picking up the property for considerably less than our first offer and didn't need to bother with any demolition!

Tools

I'm not entirely comfortable with drinking at all hours and to excess, but it's nothing I can do anything about.
Well, as long as the tenants don't damage the property and pay their rent on time.
In fact, alcohol consumption probably can't be used as grounds for eviction as it is legal, after all.
To drug-taking or drug-storage, I'd say no, even recreational drug-taking, as it's illegal. I don't want to be embroiled in the scandal when the police come knocking on the door of my property.

The police smashed the door down when raiding my rental property. Was a search for drugs. They missed the door on the first attempt and put a nice size hole in the wall too.

I dont mind if they drink (turning up drunk to the inspection is a bit different ) but drugs bring problems i dont want to be happening at my property.

who pays when police damage property?

Agreed! From living around fitzroy/collingwood for years I had a few drug dealer neighbours selling everything from weed, coke and pills to ice. Most of the clients were functioning 20-something professionals who just liked to party hard.

Depends on the mixture of the personality with the drug.

who pays when police damage property?

From my experience the Police Department,that's only happened once to us they broke the door in on a rental early morning several years ago,,rang me a few hours after the Police went in ,,rang the insurance they fixed everything ended up with a better door..

A colleague of mine had just shared his story from earlier on this year

He has a town house in the suburb of Brunswick, only been a week since a new tenant had moved in, he got a call that the tenant had setup a drug lab in his IP

His IP had to be inspected by the crimes department, and with months of investigation and cleaning up (cleaning bill of close to 5k under insurance) and loss of rent, his IP finally been released to another tenant

What a story

Spot on. And I'd say that a tenant that does not have it together enough to show a respectable front when the LL or agent is going to turn up has functionality problems. If the tenant was a shift worker with a stubby out after night shift, then I wouldn't necessarily have a problem, but in most cases they would be aware enough that it was outside the norms enough to mention that they had just come off-shift. :)

I'd be astounded if none of my tenants indulged in the odd bong. But they are smart enough not to rub my or my agent's nose in it and that's good enough for me.

Back