Tenants Paying Water Bill

Prior to their signing of the residential tenancy agreement and due to a recent pipe burst, it is our obligation to make you and the tenants aware that if the landlord/agent has prior knowledge of a burst pipe, the tenant can apply for reimbursement of water charges in a tribunal hearing.

Earlier in the year we had a pipe burst which resulted in quite alot of water wastage.This prompted me to include in the new lease that tenants pay all water usage and supply as the act allows it here in S.A.Above is a paragraph i received yesterday,and i am unclear where we stand.It reads to me as there has been a problem before,not connected with the new tenants,and this is an out clause to pay the water usage which they have agreed to in the lease.Any views?

Prior to their signing of the residential tenancy agreement and due to a recent pipe burst, it is our obligation to make you and the tenants aware that if the landlord/agent has prior knowledge of a burst pipe, the tenant can apply for reimbursement of water charges in a tribunal hearing.

Earlier in the year we had a pipe burst which resulted in quite alot of water wastage.This prompted me to include in the new lease that tenants pay all water usage and supply as the act allows it here in S.A.Above is a paragraph i received yesterday,and i am unclear where we stand.It reads to me as there has been a problem before,not connected with the new tenants,and this is an out clause to pay the water usage which they have agreed to in the lease.Any views?

Reads to me like the PM is covering their *** and couldn't care less about yours.

Seems that the PM think's that pipe bursts are chronic and will happen continually. If that was the case then surely you would do a long term fix for the problem.

Similarly I would suggest that if there was a pipe burst you wouldn't charge the tenant for water that 1/4. This would be the simplest solution rather than a blanket 'can't charge because there was a pipe burst in the past'

Cheers

My experience has been that the water provider will not charge for the "lost" water if the repair to the burst pipe is done by a licenced plumber & the relevent invoices are produced to the water provider to prove as much.

Therefore, neither the tenant or the owner are liable for the excess water usage caused by the leak.

My experience has been that the water provider will not charge for the "lost" water if the repair to the burst pipe is done by a licenced plumber & the relevent invoices are produced to the water provider to prove as much.

Therefore, neither the tenant or the owner are liable for the excess water usage caused by the leak.

Most times you get one chance at this and then it's up to you to make sure your pipes are well and truly fixed.

We have had this issue at a number of different unit blocks and sure enough the water supplier comes to the party but not for the whole amount and as I say only the one time.

Cheers

Dear Jim,

We are not suggesting anything other than making the tenant and landlord aware of water consumption. There is no blanket agreement; it is simply asking the tenant who is at the property daily, to monitor the water meter in the short term. The only time it would come into play is if there was another pipe burst.

This is the reply i received after challenging the previous response,pulled their heads in pretty quick.

Back