Tenants requesting repairs or lack of

We settled on our IP nearly 2 years ago. The property would have been built in the 60's or early 70's I think.

We have had the same tenant from day 1. One thing I have noticed is that we have not had one repair bill that the tenant has requested (the only repair bill was cleaning the gutters when we first bought the property which we requested).

The house is probably either an ex commission or defence housing, which we were told is very well built by the building inspection report.

What I'm interested in is I thought there would be repair bill requested by the tenant now. Have I been extremly lucky with the property or tenant or both?

I did attend an inspection once and noticed that the stove looked old (don't know if it works) and one of the switches looked a bit out of the socket (though I was more worried about this then the tenant). If the tenant ever leaves (been there 5 years and I hope stays there for much longer) should I just rent out the property for 6 months (and see if the new tenant asks for repairs), or actually look at the property and fix everything that I think is wrong with the property?

Don't knock it, I have a tenant that has a repair request EVERY month. Can never combine them. Dishwasher leaking, next month, taps leaking, next month, dishwasher handle broken, next month, window in kitchen wont shut, next month, dishwasher leaking again, next month, back stair rail wobbly. I have of course fixed all these but she didn't get a lease renewal. I am more than happy to fix issues but sometimes you wish they would notice them all at the same time :) I made a comment in an email to the PM saying I wouldn't be sorry to see the back of this one and she sympathised stating that they have a LOT of communication with my tenant .:-D

Have I been extremly lucky with the property or tenant or both?
It sounds like the property is solid, and the tenant isn't fussy. Some people just "live with" problems; others won't - especially when somebody else has to pay to fix them!

My only concern would be that the kind of person who's happy to tolerate things broken, is quite often happy to tolerate things being dirty, and also often more likely to break things ... so I'd be keeping a closer eye on how the property is being kept. But if you're happy with how the tenant is keeping the property, just be grateful!
pickle pickle said:
If the tenant ever leaves (been there 5 years and I hope stays there for much longer) should I just rent out the property for 6 months (and see if the new tenant asks for repairs), or actually look at the property and fix everything that I think is wrong with the property?
Personally, I'd do the latter, because I don't like letting repairs accumulate, and I think that a property in good order is more likely to attract a quality tenant.

I have a tenant like this. They have been in the IP for about 6 years and have only called us once to fix something and that was because the newly installed toilet was unstable.

We do regular inspections and the place is always clean, during these inspections have noticed a couple of things broken window, missing light cover and they always say it was something they broke so they will fix. Each inspection I ask if there is anything that needs fixing to which they always say No.

My tenant has five kids :eek: so I think she feels it would be difficult to find somewhere else to rent so does everything she can to keep the place she has, hasn't missed a rental payment in 6 years and rarely rings about repairs even though I tell her if there is ever anything that needs fixing ring straight away

Just be a little bit careful you don't have tenants like we had. We thought they were really good non-complaining tenants but discovered after they left that they had been doing their own rather dodgy repairs. He wasn't the best handy man in the world but was certainly good at hiding things.

Mine don't tell me if there is anything wrong, but come inspection time there it is - first time they wanted a shower rail (fair enough) and had broken the clicky lock off the screen door (they didn't say anything, I noticed it) and the second inspection they had managed to break a washer in the new sink and a light globe had gone bust. They'd just been putting up with no hot tap for a few weeks prior to the inspection, personally I wouldn't have.

And re the light globe? One of these tenants barely comes to my shoulder (I'm 5'7") and the other is legally blind, so fair enough there I say.

When your tenants eventually leave you'll probably find a slew of very minor things you'll need to fix, and that would definitely be the time to fix them all.

So long as you are comfortable that the PM is doing their inspections or if you have done your own, I would not be complaining.

If everything is working and in good condition why complain.

I think you can look at it two ways:
1. If you do or attend the inspections and notice items that are in need of repair or replacement - keep and eye out for deals and do this as your funds permit. It could be beneficial to you to (1) retain your tenants ans (2) maintain/improve the capital value of your investment. Also, there will be less complaints at the next rent review.
2. Do nothing about it and when the tenant vacates - assess the situation and do a part reno in one hit while property is vacant - easier to manage and job can be done more thoroughly.

We inspect IPs at least annually.

We specifically look for things that are not up to scratch. Sometimes it is far more economical to do a small repair before it becomes a big one. It is also a chance to see the condition things like carpets etc so we can mentally figure out when replacement will be necessary, which can help smooth out expenses rather than having a sudden run of necessary replacements.

But maybe you are just lucky to have tenants who attend to little things themselves.
Marg

pickle pickle

Relatives have an IP it was their own PPOR but they moved to a capital city, they have not done anything in 10 years (except repaint inside themselves)but now they have lots of maintenance issues that seem to be hitting them all at once.

The place is 30 years old and they have been gone at least 10 years.

It was a case of out of site out of mind and when PM informed them of little things that they noted on inspection BUT the tenant had not complained of they choose to ignore....

The wife is saying - sell the place, we re saying repair and claim deductions as they rent in the capital city themsleves.

Stoves seem to last 7-10 years on average.

Regards
Sheryn

pickle pickle - can I please swap my tenant for yours? lol :D
I don't think I've had a couple of weeks go by without a request to do something, the legit repairs or maintenance I have no issue with (it's an old house) but I've had some other funny requests that just make me laugh.

I wouldn't be too concerned after two years. I've had several non-complaining tenants over the years and they obviously maintain the properties well enough that I only hear from them when necessary eg: hot water system breakdown, broken appliances etc.

The most important thing is that, when they vacate, that the PM checks the ingoing condition report very carefully, to ensure the place is in the same condition (given fair wear and tear) as it was when they moved in. In my experience, some PM's are more "forgiving" than others so I like to (as far as possible) be either present for the outgoing or get someone else to check it for me with the PM.

As long as inspections are being done, and everything seems ok, I wouldn't worry.
One of tenants recently informed us that water was coming thru the downstairs ceiling. She thought the shower was leaking everytime they used it.
I impressed upon her to never wait a week to inform us about these types of repairs. Thankfully it didn't do any big damage, and it was repaired by the plumber the same day we were informed.
She apologised for waiting so long.
All is good now.

We have another tenant at the moment who bounces a rent cheque every month..pays it in cash along with NSF fee, except for one month he is still behind.
Now he wants to break his lease and has claimed he should be released without penalty for all these maintenance issues.This is the first he has mentioned them...the biggest one is catching mice in the trap inside the home.
This is the same guy who leaves the door open most of the time.

One thing I have noticed is that we have not had one repair bill that the tenant has requested

If the tenant ever leaves (been there 5 years and I hope stays there for much longer) should I just rent out the property for 6 months (and see if the new tenant asks for repairs), or actually look at the property and fix everything that I think is wrong with the property?

I wouldn't think anything of it, be thankful that you're not getting a call every other week from your PM that there's something wrong. One of our tenants calls i'd say every 2-5 weeks with something different. :mad:

Then we have the others that we don't hear a peep out of unless it's something serious, like no hot water, burst pipes etc.

Our landlord and agent don't hear a peep out of us either, if the light blows we get a new one and put it in (unlike some tenants that want someone to come out and put one in for them or to be reimbursed for the bulb) recently we had a fairly large tree branch fall in the storms which we paid to get removed. Some tenant believe that they're doing their landlord a service by reporting every little maintenance issue..

If I were you i'd wait until the tenant vacates and do the repairs that you see fit, or even renovate the property a bit. If you think the stove needs replacement, replace it and claim part back on depreciation and hope your new tenant isn't a pain in the back side.

Actually when I was renting, I don't think I have ever put in a repair request. And I rented one house for 2.5 years. I just took care of stuff. I'm guessing I am the minority!?

Actually when I was renting, I don't think I have ever put in a repair request. And I rented one house for 2.5 years. I just took care of stuff. I'm guessing I am the minority!?

Nah, I think many tenants don't complain unless it's an essential service. Then there are the others that complain about every little thing and get on people's nerves.

The amount of tenants that have constant requests are quite few, but damn annoying. Most of them are reasonable. Then you have the ones that will do stuff to the place for you. We once had a painter rent one of ours. He painted it. Put in fences and other stuff too. Great tenant!

Back