Tenants wishing to make improvements on my property

Happy new year everyone.

Some of our tenants have requested some of the improvements, and have offered to pay for half (or possibly all) of it. They would even like to do some of it themselves.

The proposed improvements are below. Do you have any thoughts on whether or not I should allow it? Are the risks around liability or them making claims on these or the property, should they ever leave, or I try to raise rental in future?

Any other thoughts?

Our PM has advised not letting them do it themselves as they are not professionals. I was thinking of letting them do some of the activities, and paying half for some of the others.

The modifications are:
- Request to install a shade sail at the rear of the property on the patio
- Request to install a garden shed
- Bathroom window is clear, request to install frost tint on this window or blinds or curtains
- Replace lounge room curtain to be replaced with timber blinds
- Request to insert garden beds at the front

Thanks for your thoughts.

F.

What i'd do...

Offer to have it done if they agree to higher rent

- Bathroom window is clear, request to install frost tint on this window or blinds or curtains

Just do it.

Let them do it themselves as long as they're not modifying existing reticulation.

The modifications are:

- Shade Sail: install by professional only. They will rip your facia boards off if attached to a non structual surface

- Garden Shed: will cost you $ for a proper slab plus the shed... they are worthwhile having, on this one I would suggest they pay for the materials you pay for proper installation (or you just pay the whole thing as its going to last 20+ years)

- Bathroom: really should have privacy, buy a $20 metal venetian from Bunnings

- Lounge room curtains to timber blinds: unless existing are no longer servicable, at their cost only, to remain behind unless curtains stored and reinstated at end of tenancy

- Garden beds: no deductability for you, their cost only, plants and any installed fixtures/landscaping to remain at end of tenancy

Happy new year everyone.

Some of our tenants have requested some of the improvements, and have offered to pay for half (or possibly all) of it. They would even like to do some of it themselves.

The modifications are:

Thanks for your thoughts.

F.

Shade sail, shed & blinds - agree but must be installed by professionals.

Garden - do it themselves

Bathroom window - you do it.

FWIW, I've had some great tenants. I've got one that's been in one of my IP's for maybe 8-10 years now. He treats it as his own. The place gets painted at least every year (he's a painter), and the agent will every so often announce that she's seen another small improvement at the property.

The most recent one is the garden. He's removed a lot of older stuff & put in new and it looks amazing. Agent didn't mention that, but it was obvious on the photos she took of the place.

Normally I would not let a tenant do anything as most of them are totally useless and end up making a meal of it, not to mention the danger of themselves hurting themselves. Especially painting! Don't ever let a tenant paint! Most people think that painting is easy, but when you look at their work it is awful.

If a tenant asks for an improvement, and wants to pay for it, I will usually agree, so long as I agree that it IS an improvement. The only stipulation is that the work is done by a professional and that the improvement stays after the tenant leaves.

Back