Termite treatment options - which one is better?

One of my IPs has exhibited limited signs of termite activity. The house generally comprises timber floor, timber joists, strip footings and probable dwarf walls.

Structurally I am fairly certain it is still OK, but I have been presented two options for treatment in the tiled kitchen area.

1/. Cut a floor trap for treatment.

2/. Bore holes through the tile joints at approximately 300 mm centres.

One company has indicated that #1 is the most effective, while another company has said #2 is equally effective. #2 obviously is my preferred option, as it is the least intrusive and less likely to damage my floor tiles.

My thought at the moment is that provided that the company is willing to provide a certificate for #2, I should just go for it.

Can anyone with knowledge of the effectiveness of the two methods or past experience comment on this?

What are the initial & ongoing costs?

When I had this problem I got Exterra (costs a lot) to get rid of the termites.
Then activated the ‘Termguard’ (reticulation system where they pump the chemicals through pipes). For a new installation, digging a trench around the perimeter of the house may cost a bit more. Thankfully it was installed when the house was built.

My little story (with costs) is at
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74290&page=2

Some people posted great infomation there.

Last edited:
Both of them are spray and forget for five years types. I have been given a ball park figure by two different companies of approximately $3K for the treatment of two houses (I have a second IP I want to treat for preventative measures).

I note in that thread there were ongoing fees to keep the certificate current? I will inquire whether this is applicable to my case.

The one that does have signs of termite infestation I am likely to want to demo in 5-6 years time, so I suspect a single treatment would suffice. The other house I intend to keep, so might be up for annual visits.

Hi guys, any further updates on this. Just spent $4500 ripping out a bamboo floor in my ground floor apartment which was getting destroyed by white ants. :(

Back