That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger

Hi olly,
Thanks for sharing!
It may sound morbid wanting to hear everyones stories but it really depends on how you view it.
Personally I find it inspiring hearing your story and I find that by hearing peoples survival stories it makes you realise there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
Wow a single mum with three children!
What an inspiration to others and especially to other mums.
i'm sure you learnt alot along the way and it can only make you a stronger person.
it's like a athlete. We only hear about them and see them on television when they are winning medals etc. Rarely do we get a glimse into the many training sessions, the dedication and sacrifices along the way and the many years of perhaps not doing so well that they endure. It's important to see the whole story or get to know the real person and their stories rather than the snap shot version, showing them succeeding.
Behind every great success story is a great roller coaster ride.
Thanks Olly I'm sure there will be many success stories ahead for you!

Thanks Olly. A wonderful story- still being told.

I see a part of what has got you ahead is an ability to see past the bad situation you were in, to get a vision of what was possible, and to go for it. From what you've said, there seem to have been a few of those points- the chasing after the jobs, the tech certificates, and the IP. And to pay off your IP completely through all of that- congratulations, and well done.

Having been bitten by the tax people, I still see the discussions from people who were bitten badly at the same time I was. A lot of those people are still battling against the injustice of what happened to them, and are still stuck there. It was an injustice- but staying on that seems to me to stop them moving forward.

My daughter has been through some traumatic events lately. While I've been railing against the injustice of what has happened to her, the counsellor is helping her a lot more by focussing on the present and the future rather than what has been or gone.

Just my own thoughts.

Talk about art imitating life (or whatever)!! I played Cashflow for the first time Saturday night and I plodded around the board 1 SQUARE AT A TIME!!! I'm sure that bloody dye was loaded ;)

AND I got retrenched twice!! Grrrrr! :mad:

Originally posted by fitguy
It may sound morbid wanting to hear everyones stories but it really depends on how you view it.
Personally I find it inspiring hearing your story and I find that by hearing peoples survival stories it makes you realise there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

I love hearing survival stories too. People who have overcome physical handicaps, abuse & torture, survived terrible diasters, whatever.... and I don't think it's morbid at all. Helps put your life into perspective and appreciate how lucky you are.

Whenever I've had a really low moment in the last few years I go and get what we call in our family - "a Matthew fix". Matthew is my 4 year old grandson and to have him just run at me, arms open yelling Naaaannnnnaaaa with such unconditional love makes all my problems just melt away. 2 weeks ago my second grandson was born so now I can have a "Ryan fix" as well!!

But as seems to be par for the course in my up & down life, whenever I score a win I seem to cop a loss too. Ryan was born on the Saturday and my water heater died on the Sunday making me $905.00 poorer. AND it was on Matthews birthday when we (me and other daughter), were supposed to be making a spiderman cake and other stuff for his party!! (We sooo weren't up to it on the Saturday evening after going through the labour and birth - we were exhausted!!) Anyway got through it somehow with no running water for a few hours, but don't ask me how!!!

And yes I have 2 grandsons - one born on the 19th and one born on the 20th July!! Lucky me!!

Cheers

Lemons into Lemonade

If you are looking for stories check out the book "Ordinary Millionaires" by Jim McKnight (there is another thread on it too).

Some of the "ordinary" folks have overcome the most extraordinary things and made their way. Lemons into Lemonade.

Kaarel was from the Balkan States and found himself alone in the world at 12. Ended up in Perth at 18 not speaking any English. Went he eventually managed to get home he was not able to find one single member of his family. In spite of this he has not only built himself a fortune out of property, he has helped thousands of immigrant and refugees get on their feet in this country. His story is amazing.

So is Bruce's. His father was forced by Cambodian militants to choose which of his children would die and who got to live. His father chose Bruce (he was suprised because he wasn't his favourite) and the militants killed the rest of the family. His story is amazing not just for his survival (there's more after his family were killed) but how he has overcome and worked hard and achieved. He is now worth about $4M.

These stories of achievement by ordinary people are extraordinary - you see what they've done as well as what they've gone through to get there. Every single one of them went through a bad patch and got out the other side. I've found it incredibly encouraging.

I'm also extremely grateful that I have my family too.

Shaggygirl

Hi Everyone,

My first IP was our first big mistake and the sole reason for coming onto this forum. Everybody else makes property investing look so easy but amazingly no one wants to give you a nudge in the right direction when the time comes.

We made the absolute fatal old mistake of buying an apartment.
Why we didnt buy a inner city house for the same money is beyond me but when you are inexperienced these mistakes sometimes happen.

Our apartment is probably one of the best located property in Melbourne. 60% of are owner/occupiers. Only one has ever come up for sale since we bought it. It is on the river front 4km from the CBD Docklands, Melbourne. Unique position with council plans for a multi million dollar developments to take place in the next few years, Unreal city views, its own garden, garage and balcony.

We also have the option to buy a mooring when they come up for sale. Body corp fees are only $600 a year. Outstanding long term tennant.

Sounds unreal dosent it! Then why hasnt it gone up in value after 2 years! If we had of bought a house for the same price 2 years ago, we would be set for life. A costly mistake but gees, have we learnt from this. Thanks to the glut of inner city apartments and the docklands, our beautiful 'fringe' apartment has suffered as well. Its not even that we paid too much for it as a similiar apartment was sold for the same price at auction a few weeks after.

But, all is not lost. We have moved on and bought other property that have been absolute winners from day one. The way I see it, if we hadnt made mistakes earlier in our road to financial freedom I would never have found this forum and I would never of heard of Steve Navra. Our focus has changed slightly since attending Steves course for the better. We are beginning to put a 10 year plan into place and are currently refinancing all our loans with the bank. It feels good to clean up the mess you create by not doing your due diligence earlier on but time now to be responsible and look towards the future.

We still have the property and I know that time heals all mistakes.

Mrs Bird

PS... What is wrong with investing in Sunshine. Every time I mention that suburb everybody screws up their nose.

:) :)

Grand-children

G'day Olly,
And yes I have 2 grandsons - one born on the 19th and one born on the 20th July!! Lucky me!
One thought-provoking plaque I saw once (in one of those craft shops that have lovely sayings embroidered, on plaques, poker-worked, etc) said this:-

"Grand-children are your reward for not strangling your kids when they were teenagers"

Had to smile at that one !!! And your words brought it back.....
Enjoy your "fixes" ;)

Regards,

Originally posted by Mrs Bird
What is wrong with investing in Sunshine. Every time I mention that suburb everybody screws up their nose.

Do you mean Sunshine in MEL?

I grew up there!!!

(well, in Ardeer, which is part of sunshine!)

asy :D

Hi Les
Love that one.
Also working on this one;
"Live long enough to be a burden to your children" :D
jahn

Hi Asy,

Yes thats the Sunshine I mean. I reckon it is the most under rated suburb in Melbourne but investors who I talk to dont even consider it. There are beautiful tree line streets with period homes in Sunshine for well under 300K.Only 13ks from the CBD. The only reason I mentioned it in this thread is maybe I am still making mistakes eg looking at suburbs that I shouldnt be buying in. I have found properties in Sunshine that have the potential to be positive CF.

Mrs Bird

Hi All,

There's something refreshing hearing about forumnites low times/mistakes. Maybe it just makes everyone seem realer when you know they've had hard times too.

What could have been my bigest mistake was spending a solid week or two (can't remember now) doing a reno when I was 33 weeks pregnant. Washed and painted every wall in a 3 bed house. My husband helped too before and after work. We had a time frame and at the time I felt fine. My bub was born by emergency ceaser at 35 weeks due to my blood pressure being through the roof. If it wasn't for the fact that my check up happened to be scheduled that day, one or both of us wouldn't be here. But God was on our side and we made it.

And I learnt a few essentials: I am not invincible. No I'm not. Pay attention to my body, don't just ignore what's happening. I must eat and sleep and pay mild attention to pain. Financial wealth is great, I hope to get more. But health and family are what makes wealth great, for me anyway.

The hardest thing I find about financially low periods is restricting the rest of the family. The best thing is it forces you to think think think about how to make more money or use equity to create the best possible cashflow.

My biggest mistake has been not doing my legals in business to protect my interests.

Founded a company, worked in it for 3.5 years for little money & walked away without nothing to show for it. One founder basically screwed all the others and took over ownership through subterfuge.

Went into a second business again without doing the legals properly & similar thing occurred (but walked sooner - I was learning!)

In the end it's just business - you can't hold the grudges - they just tear YOU up :)

Do I regret these experiences - no way! I learnt heaps & are happy with the position I'm in today (thanks to a large part to Jas who manages the house, kids & biz while I'm onsite!)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back