The 7 Spiritual Laws of Success

This doesn't actually mean anything or have any relevance whatsoever to the real world. Just because some dude said it doesn't make it wise or meaningful.

Absolutely agree.

Though when it comes to Oprah, anything she says or believes in is fact/gospel, its almost a cult following.

Off topic just a bit but I wonder what all her followers do now that she no longer produces The Oprah Shows?? She certainly made some people very wealth along the way, ie Dr Phil, Dr Oz and many more.

I dunno MTR. They watch Dr. Phil I guess? Is that even still on?

Not really an issue though, there is more than enough television made for the hard of thinking to keep them satisfied.

I dunno MTR. They watch Dr. Phil I guess? Is that even still on?

Not really an issue though, there is more than enough television made for the hard of thinking to keep them satisfied.

Hahaha.... hard of hearing... I know that one, hard of thinking, I love it.

You wouldn't even be discussing Deepak if Oprah hadn't made him famous. She did a lot for that genre of book and made many, many authors very rich and popular. M.Scott Peck, Marianne Williamson, Sarah Ban Breathnach etc etc all got a step up in the literary/self-help world via Oprah.

Like all things, some will like some writers, others will like others. What is meaningful to some will seem bland and pointless to someone else.

Gaining meaning from the written word is a purely subjective experience.

I have defined success for myself as endlessly striving to be absolutely present, happy and content in each moment.

That's it.

It took me perhaps 26 years of life to discover this aim and refocus my life accordingly. Mindfulness has been a powerful tool for me.

Everything else I do in life is simply is a subset of this goal.

One facet I should mention though, are my efforts to create and explore a swathe of options now and into the future. That's why I invest, maintain good health, forge meaningful relationships and am an avid learner--options.

I've posted this before, and no doubt will again in the future. It's highly relevant to my post, and, I believe, to the topic of success:

It Is Always Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JzcCviNDk

Wealth was seen as a means to an end and not a measure of success. Looking back I feel quite fortunate for that upbringing.

My journey (although a culmination of various experiences) started after seeing a window fall out of a building 10 stories high and nearly kill a kid in Peru.

I wanted to create affordable housing yet found myself evicting tenants who couldn't afford the rent.

I'd completely forgotten life was a journey and the sole purpose of my existence wasn't to reach some magical end goal where all my dreams would suddenly come true. I realised I didn't need money to do what I really wanted (humans have an amazing ability to make things happen out of thin air), and started noticing I, like many of my investment peers were being driven with an obsession to prove to the world they could take care of themselves (or something along the lines of proving something).

Now I invest because, investing is fun, and creates opportunities for personal growth. I enjoy sharing my learning's with friends, and networking with like minded individuals to work on projects for community improvement. Life's pretty good these days, peaceful, and fulfilling.

Very inspiring and peaceful to read what you wrote, nhg. God bless.
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path".

I agree that money isn't the only measure of success, but neither are those listed in bold.

Many brilliant scientists, mathematicians, inventors, polymaths, writers, philosophers, artists, humanitarians and world leaders had poor health, dysfunctional relationships, iffy psychological dispositions and no peace of mind. Yet, in my opinion, they were more successful than the vast majority of us could ever dream of being.

The grandest success, to me, is contributing something great to humanity. I will never do any such thing because I am an ordinary human being. Others have an entirely different definition of success.

Everyone has their own idea of what success means. To say 'monetary success isn't the only measure but <insert> is' is rather egocentric.

You are successful if you pay taxes. These taxes you pay contribute to improving the quality of life for the society and sponsoring these scientists, mathematicians and rest with their researches.

What is ordinary?

You are successful if you pay taxes. These taxes you pay contribute to improving the quality of life for the society and sponsoring these scientists, mathematicians and rest with their researches.

What is ordinary?

I'm a firm believer in everyone in society playing an important role.

To use a hospital analogy - patient needs surgery to remove brain tumour, neurosurgeon saves patient's life. Yes, the surgeon saved a life, but that wouldn't have been possible without the efforts of everyone at the hospital including the cleaners, aides/orderlies, nurses, administration, maintenance, security etc.. Additionally, outside of the hospital, you have those who provide services from those who prepare those non-delicious but nutritious hospital meals to the pharmacologists who developed the medications. And, yes, you have the tax payers who finance most of this.

In terms of a feeling of personal success, however, I'd rather be the scientist who found the cure for brain cancer than the surgeon who removed the tumour or the person who moped up the blood after the operation. Just a personal feeling, neither right nor right.

So far as taxes go... that's a tricky one. Our taxes pay for many fine things and, sometimes, not so fine things. As a taxpayer, I am no more or less responsible for saving that brain cancer patient's life than I am for a dead Iraqi civilian child, though my taxes paid for both. And what if Australia was unfortunate enough to have a truly grotesque government in charge? Would I be responsible for all of their atrocities? Are the Zimbabwean taxpayers responsible for the actions of Robert Mugabe? You can't take responsibility for only the good and not the bad so I'm not sure if I actually want to take credit for where my taxes are spent when I have no choice or say in the matter.

What is ordinary? That's a hard question. I see myself as ordinary because I am unexceptional and completely dispensable. Everything I can do, millions of others can do better. To only my husband am I truly special and indispensable and whilst that feels me with happiness and even worth, it doesn't make me feel successful per se. Success and happiness are not mutually inclusive in my opinion. I will never be what I would consider a success and I'm fine with that, but I can strive to be happy.

I have defined success for myself as endlessly striving to be absolutely present, happy and content in each moment.

Hi RF, Chopra is essentially saying the same thing but it was lost to some of the posters here :):

success is a journey, not a destination.

Most of us will never reach a destination. When one is in sight we invariably create new ones to pursue, and our chase knows no end.

But if we can see success in the journey, it's always here with us to enjoy.

The difference is not between less and more success, but between never and always.

Hi RF, Chopra is essentially saying the same thing but it was lost to some of the posters here :)

I must point out that that bloke says some utterly ridiculous crap. I tend not to pay much attention.

I actually just went to find an example of said crap and amazingly, found a video of Sam Harris (the speaker in the video I posted called "It Is Always Now") and he (plus others) having a debate.

Watch and enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09UmufmfSLc

The Spiritual law of success to me is best epitomized by the Historical figure of Jesus.

Historical Jesus was walking Medicare. He healed the sick wherever he went (and it was free). He provided free education. He multiplied food for the hungry. He was quite unattached to houses, by all accounts he was a wandering itinerant. He could also walk on water.

But best of all, he turned water into wine. Free food AND free booze. can't beat that ;)

I must point out that that bloke says some utterly ridiculous crap. I tend not to pay much attention.

I actually just went to find an example of said crap and amazingly, found a video of Sam Harris (the speaker in the video I posted called "It Is Always Now") and he (plus others) having a debate.

Watch and enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09UmufmfSLc

Ha ha... I see where you're coming from.

I've enjoyed some of Chopra's books but never watched him speak. While his books resonate a bit with my own experience his performance as a celebrity leaves me rather cold.

Maybe I should focus less on the words that I read (and what they mean to me) and more on the person who wrote it... but mmm... nah!

Just because we don't find anything mystical in what he said doesn't mean it was 'lost' on any of us. Stop insulting our intelligence.

Sorry if I did.

What I tried to say was that if we see success as a goal to be attained at the end of a journey (e.g. owning $X or being able to do something we'd love to do) then it's not the meaning intended in the quotation.

There's nothing mystical about, as the quotation suggests, being mindful. Sounds mysterious to some but it's nothing more than a frame of mind that any sensible person can get into with a bit of practice. Materialism is no barrier to it.

Just because we don't find anything mystical in what he said doesn't mean it was 'lost' on any of us. Stop insulting our intelligence.

And just because you don't see the meaning in something doesn't mean it has none.
Like I said before getting meaning from the written word is a subjective experience. What resonates with me may have no meaning to you and vice versa. It doesn't mean that any statement is meaningful or meaningless. The statement just is. You give it the meaning, or not.

Back