The art of persuasion, going once ...

Sailesh Channan said:
"Investors take note" , "Investor special" , ... all describing properties that owner occupiers would not touch. :eek:

Nah, those ones mean "Our rent roll is low, we need new properties to manage".

Jas

Jas said:
Nah, those ones mean "Our rent roll is low, we need new properties to manage".

Jas

or , this is a good , no hassel property and we don't want to loose it from our rent roll

or , The tenant doesn't want to move and is a pain in the .... , and they've made it clear that they're going to bad mouth the property unless I ( the agent ) sell it to another investor.

See Change

I once tried to view a property which the tennent had threatened to set the dogs on any person who entered.

That included investors...

(I didn't end up buying it, but I did manage to view it).

Jas

A US list is given in this chapter excerpt from a new book:

http://www.freakonomics.com/ch2.php

Some are correlated to a higher price; others to a lower price. Some terms are used here, others are not (eg what is Corian?).

Subtitled 'a rogue economics explores the hidden side of everything', it has a go at a lot of other things as well ;)

Rgds, Peter

What a great thread, and you just have to look at properties anywhere to find examples of these!! I found the following on Domain:

"Located within walking distance to schools, shops and hospital". Not sure if anyone has covered this (it's a long thread) but along with stone's throw, how far is "walking distance". I still see this a lot and I'm betting I would not want to try walking to the hospital in question.

"A rare opportunity arises for the astute 'investor'." Of course if you're cleverer than the average monkey you will see past the crappy location and rundown property to the true value hidden from view - no doubt the oil located 60 metres below.

"This 2 bedroom unit is one of the best buys in today's market". I think this means that given the downturn in the market, the owner will have to be realistic about what this dump is really worth.

"Better than your average unit". I really liked this one. In the 2005 national census on units, Unit 5, 323 Templestowe Lane Padstow was rated in the 60 percentile bracket...

"First home special." For the impoverished first home buyer, desperate to get a start.

The list could go on and on...

The most puzzling one for me is where the agent tries to predict the future and incorporates that in the description, eg an auction result.

For instance I've seen ads when a property to be auctioned is described as 'a bargain', 'fantastic value', 'you won't buy better' or similar.

Yet surely such descriptions depend on sale price which has yet to be determined.

Unless the agent can predict the auction and and knows all bidders' price limits in advance, how can such a statement be made?

The only thing I can think of is that it's a euphemism for 'needs TLC', 'ugly duckling', 'renovators delight', 'no one came to the open house' or 'it stinks' and a low price can be reasonably predicted due to a lack of prior interest.

Peter

How is it that so many places that are only large enough to house your big toe are called 'cute'?!?! :rolleyes: cf. cosy. No thanks! :)

Back