The Block 2012

For those who enjoy the show, 'The Block', it starts again tonight on Channel 9 at either 7pm or 7.30pm (depending on where you live).

Will be interesting to see the contestants (remembering that Lizzie and I were considering auditioning before we chickened out :D) and, of course, what they can do with the dumps they will be tasked with renovating.

Cheers!

awwww - we so could've been there! Thanks goodness not. Been so hectic in the last 6 months, have barely had a day free.

Watching it now, and then The Voice. Top night of trash telly viewing. And I've got a nice big bowl of frozen yoghurt and blueberries. Yay! :)

No surprise to see the contestants are gorgeous looking Barbie/Ken doll types again (but who would have looked very plain and average next to Lizzie and myself had we auditioned :D;)) and both couples had the same decorating style! Which was also the same style as Josh and Jenna's from last year. Ho hum.

I think I like the new lady judge already. I think she's going to add some much needed sting to the show.

Was funny to see a familiar face (I knew Courtney a few years back, haven't seen heer for a while though). Unfortunately I had my hands full with a sick toddler and din't get to see much of the show.
The Perth team got eliminated? Will there be some biggest loser-like comeback episode later, or is that it?

(Obviously not a regular viewer [of anything other than TUF])

both couples had the same decorating style! Which was also the same style as Josh and Jenna's from last year. Ho hum.

Well - I was disappointed at the rooms. Thought they were both very bland ... but then I did really like Erin and Jake's style a few series' ago ... and who the heck spends 10 hours shopping, in a time limit comp, only to buy one dresser and some linen! Then heads out again the next day for another 5 hours

That was unbelievable!

At least the painting made my cutting in look pretty professional.

Yep. Why did the dark haired lady have to constantly ring her husband for reassurance? :confused: Just have faith in your own taste and make a freakin' decision woman! :mad::D

Ditto about thinking the rooms were bland. The dining room was a bad choice - and a glass table too - how is something see-through supposed to make a statement in a room with pale walls? Sheesh. Also, too many little insignificant ornaments and the guy couldn't paint to save his a###. Hmmm. If you knew you were going into an elimination round for a spot on The Block , wouldn't you have done lots of research, practice, etc on such things as painting, hanging curtains, making beds, etc?

:D Being an arm-chair critic is the best ;)...

Well - I was disappointed at the rooms. Thought they were both very bland
*snip*
who the heck spends 10 hours shopping, in a time limit comp, only to buy one dresser and some linen! Then heads out again the next day for another 5 hours

That was unbelievable!

Me three on the bland rooms - and, surely, if you knew the other team had the exact same colour, you'd get yours tinted a shade or two darker or something, just as a point of difference.
Also, uncanny isnt it, that with thousands of furniture and homewares and bedding shops in Melbourne, they all managed to shop at the same ones for the same things :rolleyes:

Checked out the now completed houses the other day. Nice job too and just a few houses away from my very first wreck of a house.
That was one of the one's that I let go far to early.

Wow - both tonights' rooms were really boring too, although I thought the couch one was the better ... although glad they went because she was hopeless and driving her father spare.

Wonder what the thinking is behind the judges decisions?

*sigh*

Room 1 (the bedroom): Looked like a 2 star motel room.

Room 2 (the lounge): Looked like a florist's shop.

I thought room 2 was better than room 1 but it had too much clutter for mine. Funny how, so far, both teams on each night have had the same idea re paint colour for the walls and their styles are all similar. Are they only allowed to purchase from the same shops, therefore making the styles all look the same?

I suspect that the winners are a forgone conclusion already with the most 'appropriate for TV' (ie. the more emotional, outspoken, opinionated, personable) chosen in advance - judges told whose rooms to choose. Perhaps I'm wrong but it definitely came across that way last season and also tonight.

Agreed in terms of lay nights episode.

Father and daughter should have won. Maybe to much clutter.

I can't understand how both teams spent the first day and only painted.

The shops they are going to seem out of the way also. Chaddie, Richmond, spotlight in south Melb.

Pieman= how did you get a tour of the houses?

Last edited:
Man Spotless - we would have whipped their backsides, both being organised renovators!

Room decision - check - doesn't matter "what" the room's function is, as long as it's done well
Something funky and wow factor - check
Colour scheme - check
Write list of basic requirements (don't forget window finishings) - check
Paint colour - check. Lizzie get painting!
Spotless takes sample of colours and list - check - get shopping.
Don't ring each other for an opinion - I trust you so just do it.
End of first day - all painting done - all furniture bought - most knick knacks bought.

Second day carpet/flooring goes down
Spent dressing room
Last minute bits bought
Time for a Chardy

I'm disappointed as there is now wow in any of the rooms so far ... bring back Waz and Garry - or Jake and Erin - or even the two fat tradies!

Back