The Block 2012

So - they've improved significantly on what we are currently seeing? Please say yes so that I keep watching.

This week is the elimination to get "Onto the block". Just re-read - the query was - have the skills of the people improved (maybe?)

The block is a row of four multi (not sure of the number of floors - assume two but could be three) houses in a row - that from the short snippets look like they were bought in a fairly sad and sorry state.

Have walked past (not quite as lucky as pieman) and they definitely look nice from the brief tyre kicking we have done.

That red house so far has 6 fire places in six rooms.:eek:

I suppose some may be double sided ones? How common is this in Melbourne? Or has it been set up just for the show?

See ya's.

I didnt like either room tonight.

Seriously, who needs an inside swing - surely that's what your backyard is for.

The other room was so plain.

thought the kids room was quite a novel idea.

The young girl was abit annoying - unable to make her own decisions......

Not sure about the fireplace question. still trying to work out exactly where it is. A red house should stick out like a sore thumb.

Ref House was a fixer-upper in Elwood (about 15 mins down the road from the South Melbourne terraces that are the final renovation destinations). I think it had previously been converted into three flats and recently bought by a young family to renovate. They must have thought all their Christmasses had come at once when Channel 9 called up and asked to use it.
There was a story in The Age on Monday where Nine said they needed a place with lots of very similar blank-canvas rooms that they could use for the elimination challenges.
What's the bet they just painted the exterior a more normal colour and walked away at the end of this week's filming? Plus paid for the use of the property. Left all that furniture etc there - nice work if you can get it :).
According to The Age, the neighbours were *not* happy about the exterior paint work and "landscaping". Also, looks like it's on quite a busy road to me - a bus route, anyhow. Maybe Glenhuntly Rd or Broadway.

Was going to comment on the rooms - but there is just nothing to say.

Another two bland and predictable rooms, although the kids room was different just not very good looking.

Glad the dark haired girl is gone - she couldn't buy a tin of dog food without seeking reassurance.

I think the outside of the house is the best thing about the show yet.

Have to agree, rooms so far are so bland and boring. Those beautiful fireplaces, and stained glass windows. Whats with all of the neutral, or white walls too, would love to see them use bold colours.

If they do not pick up thier game it will be hard to continue watching............sigh

Was it just me, or was the mother from tonight's mother-and-son team unbearable. And he was a bit of a sap. ;)
Was so pleased they didn't make it through - would have made the show unwatchable. And those two brothers, who did get through, were so impressively organised!
Have been recording it all on the IQ box. Start watching about 7.25pm and fast forward all the ads and repetition and finish on the button of 8pm. So, yeah, about 35 minutes of actual TV.
Looking forward to next week, though, when the actual renovating starts.

I must say I found the mother extremely irritating, however I think their room was far more impressive than the boys room.

Was it just me, or was the mother from tonight's mother-and-son team unbearable.

No, it wasn't just you, Tuppy - she WAS unbearable. Cheers went up in our house when they announced the winners - this despite the fact that I actually liked the mother/son's room better. She came across as a bad sport. :D Even if I felt extreme disappointment and anger at losing to the point where I could rip out Scott Cam's throat and guage the eyeballs of my opponents with long talon-like fingernails, I would still act like a dignified lady and congratulate them with all the fake enthusiasm I could muster. I would then happily accept my Academy Award at next year's ceremony...

Can't wait for the renovating to begin...

I didn't find her too bad. I definitely liked her room better. Loved the wallpaper.

I would have preferred her over some of the others who got in earlier in the week.

I would have preferred her over some of the others who got in earlier in the week.

Agree - and made similar comment to hubby on the night. They had two good renovators against each other, whereas other nights they had two hopeless only competing.

Pity it couldn't be a "round robin" type thing

Sheesh - glad we didn't apply!

Must admit - won't be watching the "not on the block" comps. There is so much renovating to do, it feels unfair to take them away!

Back