The Block 2012

I thought some of the contestants had great ideas with their kitchens last week. I loved the timber ceiling that the boys used and also the cute little work station with blackboard that Brad and Lara incorporated into their kitchen.

I liked the window in Dan and Dani's kitchen for the light it provided but having the cook top in front of it would be a pain in the backside to clean.

I wonder if they really are so pushed for time as depicted on the show or if it's a bit 'put on'?

I wonder if they really are so pushed for time as depicted on the show or if it's a bit 'put on'?

i think they are pushed for time. the staircase painted by dan and dani look really crap when you are looking at it upfront.

the sophie and dale house had like many imperfections, gaps on the skirting not filled in and gaps uneven cuts on the boards etc.

the brothers were the only standout.

Dani is just an out-of-control freak. I pity Dan when they get married. He's gonna have to get a highly paid job, if Dani let's him. :D

Also, every time they lose a challenge you can see Dani just go berserk inside.

They want to be best of mates with everyone but they are quick to back stab and have a cry if one little thing does not go their way.

Maybe don't spend $3000 on sheets and a bazillion on an overpriced spa and see what they could do.

For once, I'd like to see one couple not attend a challenge and spend their time actually doing the reno without the time pressure, IF they know they don't need the money or can't be arsed doing the challenge.

Also, can the contestants spend their own money on the reno?

That would be interesting to see one team spend their time and money finishing off rooms properly. Would make it more interesting seesing some of the competitors having their own skin in on the deal, not the endless supply.

BUT, given the age of the contestants, they would probably lucky have enough of a deposit to afford one of Dani's $3000 fitted sheets.

What I want to know is that, with returning all her "stuff" to be able to afford to buy new "stuff", how is Dani able to present a finished house (now that half her stuff is missing) that is equivilent to what was shown on TV?

I waited in line for about three and a half hours on Sunday to go in. Expected that though. Agree on Dale and Sophie's execution of the pressed metal splash back, thought it was fairly poor. And some of the finishes, as mentioned earlier, were average - I did see gaps in the paintwork in the corners etc. If they are as rushed as the show makes out, I suppose it is understandable that not everything is perfect.

I did get autographs from Dan and Dani during the wait in the queue, and I have to say that my impression of Dani was far better than how I'd judged her by watching her on the show. The pressure of the competition is probably what has influenced her behaviour on the show more than anything else. But she came across as quite friendly and outgoing at the inspections. And Dan was an absolute top bloke to talk to!

I met Brad and Lara a couple of weeks ago when they did a promo in my dads shop. They were really nice people.

While they didnt come out and say it, there was a strong impression that they didnt like Dan and Dani.

I did get autographs from Dan and Dani during the wait in the queue, and I have to say that my impression of Dani was far better than how I'd judged her by watching her on the show. The pressure of the competition is probably what has influenced her behaviour on the show more than anything else. But she came across as quite friendly and outgoing at the inspections. And Dan was an absolute top bloke to talk to!

I havent watched the show, but most reality TV shows do alot of selective editing to make people look a particular way to bump up the ratings, and get people to either love or hate them. i think people are often quite different to how they are presented.

I havent watched the show, but most reality TV shows do alot of selective editing to make people look a particular way to bump up the ratings, and get people to either love or hate them. i think people are often quite different to how they are presented.

Agree. It seems that every season of The Block has a couple who are the 'outcast' couple who come across (thanks to carefully selected 'moments'?) as arrogant and far less easy going than the others (think Dan and Dani this year, Josh and Jenna last year, Erin and Jake the year before). Then there's the 'nice' down-to-earth couple (Brad and Lara, Polly and Waz, etc). Then there's the 'funny' ones (Dale and Sophie, The fat tradies, etc)...

Makes me wonder 'what' category Lizzie and I would have come under if we had applied and been successful... :)

This is my biggest gripe too. I'd love to see the actual figures, what they have paid their tradies, what things actually cost. I'll bet Dan and Danni end up with a spa, even through they "apparently" have no money left.
Funny how they always seem to get the doo-dads despite having no money.. :confused: I think it stopped being a "renovate for profit" show the season before last.

Now it's "how much can we sleep deprive them, cause them to fight and make them play stupid games with Shelly Craft". So I haven't watched any of this series..

I'd be keen to see one episode - the auction, but that would be pointless not knowing the $$ spent.

i know this area pretty well and the comparables would be around 270+ Dorcas St 3 storey townshouses which sells around 1.4-1.8 million although larger and built couple years ago.

But i spoke to the agents when i visited the block and they're expecting 1-1.1 mil but they're much smaller to the 270+ Dorcas Street townhouses. But i think channel 9 has pumped in a bit of money like those remote control blinds, fencing, decking, freedom kitchen etc so i think they would sell subject to buyers liking the taste. my bet is on the brothers - their indoor outdoor living space was a good move.

if you go just a bit further down the road - u're entering albert park and those prices 300-500K more.

Interesting perspective in terms of the driving motivation behind the show.

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/...nts-and-june-30-auction-bidders/2012061955120

This has been done to death in previous years. People banging on about how the contestants over-spent and over-capitalised etc, made a loss, what does it say about the market? yada, yada, yada.

What people didn't seem to take into account was that for Channel 9 to buy four houses ANYWHERE in a row means they would be paying a premium. Add to that everything else about the show and it has never been indicative of the "general" market that the houses don't make much profit (if any at all).

It certainly is all about the advertising :).

This has been done to death in previous years. People banging on about how the contestants over-spent and over-capitalised etc, made a loss, what does it say about the market? yada, yada, yada.

What people didn't seem to take into account was that for Channel 9 to buy four houses ANYWHERE in a row means they would be paying a premium. Add to that everything else about the show and it has never been indicative of the "general" market that the houses don't make much profit (if any at all).

It certainly is all about the advertising :).

Exactly. It's a TELEVISION show!! The winner gets the best result on auction day and they play games along the way to boost their budgets.
Nowhere does it say that it's about making aprofit from the reno or being a realistic reno cost model.

It's entertainment. Pure and simple. If it was realistic and reflective of a true to life reno for profit (or loss) scenario, nobody would watch it. What's entertaining about sitting for hours scraping paint of windows or digging up tiles on a bathroom floor or digging trenches for storm water pipes?

It's a game show. They play a game. We watch to be entertained. Simple as that. Trying to relate it back to the "real world" is a pointless excercise.

Nobody watches Packed to the Rafters (I could almost end that sentence right there and be correct) and comments on whether Dave is using the right standard of cabling on his rewiring jobs. Because it's a TV show and is only meant to entertain, not be analysed to assess how it translates into the real world.

The coupla wylie shelias who get stuck in ... aka katrina and amy from last year.

That sounds like a call for me... a "wylie sheila" :D.

They are calling for applications for next year. A tiny part of me would love to have a go but most of me cringes at how I would handle such a pressure-cooker situation and how the media would portray me/us.

And I don't fit the young, pony tailed model that they seem to be going for each time (apart from the boys, of course).

Having watched this series - which was so much worse than the prev due to the comps and poor initial state of the house - I honestly couldn't be bothered.

I'd get as frustrated as all hell with the bs (see above) ... besides ... hubby reckons he couldn't cope with me gone for 10 weeks.

Previous series' - yep - I'd be in, but not after this last round.

I have an ability to stick up for myself but even I'd be in tears most days with that Keith bloke :eek:. He's scary. It's also far too long to be away from family for me. Might be different if I was from Melbourne...

Lizzie, with both of us being slim blondes, we'd likely be made out to appear useless, with the camera never on us when we're getting stuck into the work. Although I could guarantee they'd never film me paying $3000 for sheets ;).

I just watched tonight's show and cannot believe the cheating methods of Dan and Dani. I'd have loved to see them both in the drink. Or disqualified. I wonder if he will propose to her before the show finishes :eek:.

If he ends up with her he deserves all he gets. And he really isn't much better than her from what I've seen. He might be a bit of eye candy, but he isn't much chop in my opinion in the integrity stakes.

I know the producers pick and choose the clips that are shown but we think that if anybody else was being sneaky and trying to cheat it would also be shown. I'm just disgusted with both of them.

I have an ability to stick up for myself but even I'd be in tears most days with that Keith bloke :eek:.

Oh - I'll deal with Keith. I think he's great and, as long as you do the right thing, he's a softy.

Glad to see Dan finally grows a pair and tells Dani to p!55 off tomorrow night! She is such a "victim", blamer and ponce-around ... Sophie's also a real drama queen wuss when it comes to actually "doing" work.

Back